Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

Re: Re: Re: Re: another Lightspeed

Tolu said:
As we say in Germany: Don't shoot with canons at sparrows. ;) or for the english ones: don't break a butterfly on a wheel

If you use a well built PS with not too much ripple, the effect of additional caps isn't audible. Don't expect wonders by using caps! The discussion about the brand hasn't any influence, too. Remember, the caps aren't in the signal path and the LEDs are fed with DC (more or less!:rolleyes: ).

I am not so experienced with LS as George but I did some experiences, too.
1. The main thing is device matching, device matching, device m...!
2. Keep output impedance low!
3. A well built PS with 7805 is sufficient (for my wooden ears).
4. Use thermal coupling of the optocouplers.
5. Omit relais for channel switching.
6. If you want remote control and perfect channel matching with defined steps -> use DACs
7. Avoid buffers until they aren't absolutely necessary

Enjoy airlight listening!

Thanks for the checklist, seems useful.

1. Yeah. How would you match the LDR with my 10k ohm F3? Buffer or super-duper source?

6: in english? If you mean to put the volume control in the dac, what's the point of the Lightspeed?

7: see point 1

georgehifi said:

Hi Telstar, I now have a few customers with Nelsons amps, and the low input impedance is a problem with the Lightspeed Attenuator.
Nelson has come up with an answer by designing a buffer for it, a few pages back which cures all the problems. My customers have been putting it at the input, inside their Pass amps as there is plenty of room and it then makes the Pass amps more compatible with other high output impedance pre's not just the Lightspeed, like Passive Pots, Dact passives, TVC passives, and many Tube Pre's.

Cheers George

Hello George, I sent you an email through this site: did you get it?
If so, can we discuss the matter through.

The alternative to the LDR I'm considering is the Bent AVC, which has no impedance issues. I have to carefully evaluate the sound quality. With the buffer also the placette would become a viable solution.

I have some questions about volume steps and remote (which i need).

I'm still catching up with the thread...

If you want the most transparent, go the Lightspeed forget the rest they are all coloured in some way. It's the closest to pluging the source (CD) directly into the power amp, we have now proved this may times against all other pre's passive or active.
As for steped volume control there is no problem in using a 24 or 32 position resistor switched pot for the control for the leds in the Lightspeed Attenuator so long as it mimics a 100k log pot.
As you said even using Tentlabs digital readout volume control as the led controler in the Lightspeed, but ouch that's getting expensive $400aud just to give a digital readout for the Lightspeed.

Cheers George

georgehifi said:
If you want the most transparent, go the Lightspeed forget the rest they are all coloured in some way. It's the closest to pluging the source (CD) directly into the power amp, we have now proved this may times against all other pre's passive or active.

Good, that's what wanted to hear.
Now i have to decide if i want a preamp box or put it into the dac.

As for steped volume control there is no problem in using a 24 or 32 position resistor switched pot for the control for the leds in the Lightspeed Attenuator so long as it mimics a 100k log pot.
As you said even using Tentlabs digital readout volume control as the led controler in the Lightspeed, but ouch that's getting expensive $400aud just to give a digital readout for the Lightspeed.

Cheers George

You've got mail :)

Probably Guido Tent would deduct the unused parts from his volume controller and significantly reduce the price, likely to ~150eur or allow a trade-in for some components i own that i havent used :) So Tent would be my first choice.
I need at least 60 steps, better 0.5dB each, but then finding a display with decimals would be an issue. Would i need to buy other parts to make it match the tent with the lightspeed?
Heck i could even buy an used placette which should go for us$6-700 just to have that many steps.

Eventually, could you sell me an unboxed unit? the VFD wouldnt fit in your case anyway, similar for some regulated power source.

georgehifi said:

I've tried the Lightspeed with many different solid state, opamp, and tube buffers, and this tube buffer one was the most transparent of all, 200ohm ouput impedence, but it was still easily beaten by the Lightspeed by itself with no buffer, so long as cd was low and strong and input of the amp was high.

Cheers George

What about Pass B1 or other jfet buffers?
I think they can match and surpass tube buffers.

(Telstar@page21)

mikelm said:

My idea is to carry on resolving detail as much as is possible and ultimately the details resolve into smoothness where smoothness is required.

If this is the goal then I believe this LDR volume control is the best option that I am aware of at present.

I have never heard trumpets & strings rendered so realistically not to mention cymbals. In fact the whole things just sound very honest.

cheers

mike

hi Mike,

Which is the rest of your setup?

Yes, a very elaborate one, didn't take too long for them to clone it and glitz it up.
Shame about the relays though, defeats the whole purpose of the Lightspeeds advantages.
If you navigate through the maze of that website you eventually find what they sell the kits for in Japan. A single-ended kit(unbalanced) 104,500yen the balanced kit is 164,500yen.
Hope they use the NSL32SR2S in series/shunt and hand matched, otherwise it's not going to be worth it.
Anyone got one yet as they've been out now for nearly a year now??

Cheers George

georgehifi said:
It is always best to match all 4. You can just match the shunt ldr's (L/R) and then match the series ldr's (L/R) at the expense of steady input/output impedance and a progressive loudness curve feel of the led's voltage controler.
Cheers George

In your commercial units are all LDR matched? Mikkel asked me this because i was planning to use his remote control.

Telstar said:

In your commercial units are all LDR matched? Mikkel asked me this because i was planning to use his remote control.

High Telstar,

I used one of Mikkels remotes with a motorized pot. Wich one it was you can read in one of my posts I think about half a year ago.
Easy to build and works flawlessly! I recommended Mikkel to the forum.
If you can't find what I did exactly, I can look it up for you,just let me know,
Cheers,

Ed Linssen

ed linssen said:

Hi Telstar,

I used one of Mikkels remotes with a motorized pot. Wich one it was you can read in one of my posts I think about half a year ago.
Easy to build and works flawlessly! I recommended Mikkel to the forum.
If you can't find what I did exactly, I can look it up for you,just let me know,
Cheers,

Ed Linssen

Hi Telstar, me again,

I found my posting.
I wrote it on 24 of april 2008. Posting:1274
More related postings a few days later...
Succes!

Ed

LDR remote control

George I am embarassed. It has been a long time. Sorry but I have been busy.

Over the Christmas break I finally managed to get the time to populate a set of remote control boards and debug them. The system works very well allowing volume up both channels, volume down both channels, left balance and right balance. The available working range is more than adequate in my system. Matching is noticably less critical, in practice, with the balance control facility although a completely unmatched set of LDRs did show some small discrepancies on the scope due the the 1 dB step function of the Dallas DS1802 not quite countering any mismatches with the LDRs. I did not notice any problems with this in my system. Nelson Pass provided much information about the useful LDR operating range with particular reference to the Lightspeed configuration and I adapted the design to follow his recommendations. Thank you Nelson. Re-working for lower led current range allows a simplification of the led drive circuit as the opamps in the voltage controlled current source can easily deliver the required current range without thermal stress. The system circuit is simple and inexpensive to implement.

The boards can (I hope) be seen at the following address :-
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/LSremote1.jpg

I am driving the volume control directly from an Altmann Attraction DAC and the volume control feeds one DC coupled power mosfet in source follower mode driving my open baffle line source array loudspeakers. The line array has all drivers in parallel to give a 0.75 ohm load and because of this and the efficiency of 105 dB for 1 watt/1mtr I need very little voltage swing to generate considerable sound pressure levels. In fact there is no voltage gain stage after the Altmann which has a healthy output at low impedance. The transparency to the musical performance is very impressive. I certainly prefer the Lightspeed configuration to the fixed series resistor/shunt LDR configuration or any other volume control method I have tried.

George, if you are up for trying the remote control I will prepare a set of boards for you, gratis of course.

Regards
Paul

If any of you guys need a phono pre with passive LDR or active (tube headphone) LDR volume control there is a Melos Gold for sale on Audiogon, sounds like the real deal fully working, remember this is early LDR not Silonex, and it is also from what I remember stage 1 Lightspeed technology.
The guy says it's working 100% he looks like a budding tech seeing the old test gear in the background.
The weak point of these units was the LDR relibility but he says this one is fine.
Knock yourselves out.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1234800862&/Melos-Sha-Gold-guarantee-to-wo

Cheers George

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey, a friend of mine had a Melos SHA that was three units. A power supply, pre and the phono. He brought it over one night after it stopped working. I opened it up and saw the tube filaments not firing. After finding goofy voltages on the heater pins, I changed out the rectifier and the pre worked perfectly. He left it with me a couple weeks to listen to it - all I remember was it did not have much gain for my rig, but sounded real nice.We never got the phono working...he was ecstatic I fixed the preamp section, because no one would touch it.

Anyway, I did not know this was a LDR base pre. So this and the Hafler Iris are LDR based? Are there any more commercial pres out there that have the LDR based volume control?