Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp - Page 491 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2012, 09:22 PM   #4901
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply George, good you pointed it out here, I re-enabled this setting, funny ;- )

albertli, after you correctly balanced the LDRs, can you ensure that the LDRs always track at different levels? I mean, is volume the same for both channels spanning the whole range?

Last edited by metal; 21st December 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:35 PM   #4902
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal View Post
Thanks for the reply George, good you pointed it out here, I re-enabled this setting, funny ;- )

albertli, after you correctly balanced the LDRs, can you ensure that the LDRs always track at different levels? I mean, is volume the same for both channels spanning the whole range?
I would say yes,a t least for 75% of its range. Dont forget I never have it turn over 40%, about 10-11 oclock position. My power amp is 25w, with my speaker around 90 db.
Old 6th January 2013, 04:06 AM   #4903
macm75 is offline macm75  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello George,
First of all, thank you so much for sharing your design with all who care about amplifier building. I recently got my first lightspeed up and running and floored with the new level of detail, clarity, and liquidity. I was sold from note one.
Originally I powered it with a 9V battery which was fed to a small LM317 circuit. After changing from battery to small 12V SMPS (still using the LM317 circuit) I found I lost some fullness and fluidity to the sound.
You recommended a 12V Li-ion Rechargeable battery from ebay in some past posts. Was not sure the capacity of the battery - is 1800mAh adequate or do I need something like 6800mAh?
Thank Again, Joe
Old 6th January 2013, 05:48 AM   #4904
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Thanks for the pat on the back. As for battery use this is the one I have used, good for weeks of use before a recharge. But there's not much in it when compared to a linear regulated 12v wall wart of >300mA. Portable 12V DC 6800mAh Rechargeable Li ion Battery CCTV Camera MP3 with Switch | eBay

Cheers George

Last edited by georgehifi; 6th January 2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 16th January 2013, 10:17 PM   #4905
ntropy is offline ntropy  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hello George,

I really think your idea with using LDR as a volume control is fantastic.

I have read about 200 pages of this thread but I still fail to understand why the LSA sounds better than a high quality potentiometer or a resistor ladder. You say it's the absence of mechanical contacts with different materials which make the LSA better, did I get this right?

If this is the case, everytime I use solder I'm connecting at least 2 different materials together. If I plug in a RCA, then again I have a contact.

For me, I can't logicaly understand this.

I have seen that the LDR has rather high 2nd order THD numbers which are pleasant to the ear. Maybe that's the main reason why the LSA sounds so great?

Don't get me wrong, I think the LSA is a great design. Only the explanation is for me a bit to exotic
Old 16th January 2013, 10:29 PM   #4906
diyAudio Member

I bought 2 lightspeed kits some time ago. (And 2 lighter notes - still unused, unsoldered)..
I never could get the tracking right and the signal level was to high with my Audio Note preamp.. So I left the "project".

Well - a couple of weeks ago I found the lightspeeds again. Did some homework. Made a dcb1 buffer.
Used 68ohm and 750ohm (instead of 1k) resistors. Used 4Vdc as power (regulated lm338) . Readjusted everything. Hooked it up to the dcb1 and to the amplifier..

This was much better than earlier. Channel balance - perfect. Volume settings perfect. Seems I can use from 0 to 100 with no problem.

Question: How important is the quality of the 5v PSU for these? (Well mine is 4Vdc - but I guess just average in quality)
Old 16th January 2013, 10:52 PM   #4907
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntropy View Post
Hello George,

I really think your idea with using LDR as a volume control is fantastic Thank you

I have read about 200 pages of this thread but I still fail to understand why the LSA sounds better than a high quality potentiometer or a resistor ladder. You say it's the absence of mechanical contacts with different materials which make the LSA better, did I get this right?There are no light pin point touch contacts of dissimilar metals and track substances, have you ever wondered why all different make pots sound different to each other?

If this is the case, everytime I use solder I'm connecting at least 2 different materials together. At least they are both metalic, and a fixed together contact, not a plastic or carbon track with a metal wiper touching lightly on it.
If I plug in a RCA, then again I have a contact. A massive tight metal to metal contact area, but still have you ever cleaned your rca's with contact cleaner? you will hear a difference.
For me, I can't logicaly understand this.

I have seen that the LDR has rather high 2nd order THD numbers which are pleasant to the ear. Maybe that's the main reason why the LSA sounds so great?This 2hd at cd source level input is only .01% speakers and tube amps give out far more than that.

Don't get me wrong, I think the LSA is a great design. Only the explanation is for me a bit to exotic
Each to his own, have you listened to one??
Cheers George
Old 16th January 2013, 11:06 PM   #4908
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post
I bought 2 lightspeed kits some time ago. (And 2 lighter notes - still unused, unsoldered)..
I never could get the tracking right and the signal level was to high with my Audio Note preamp.. So I left the "project".

Well - a couple of weeks ago I found the lightspeeds again. Did some homework. Made a dcb1 buffer.
Used 68ohm and 750ohm (instead of 1k) resistors. Used 4Vdc as power (regulated lm338) . Readjusted everything. Hooked it up to the dcb1 and to the amplifier..

This was much better than earlier. Channel balance - perfect. Volume settings perfect. Seems I can use from 0 to 100 with no problem.

Question: How important is the quality of the 5v PSU for these? (Well mine is 4Vdc - but I guess just average in quality)
Get yourself one of these led testers and a cheap digital multimeter that way you can match your own ldr's from 1-20mA at 5 different levels.
As for using only 4v insted of 5v naturaly the 100ohm current resistor on all the + legs of the NSL32SR2S's of my circuit would have to be smaller otherwise you won't get enough sweep (low volume).

Cheers George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LDR tester.jpg (60.5 KB, 444 views)
Old 17th January 2013, 01:18 AM   #4909
diyAudio Member

I have been using the lsa in my aikido preamp for a year now, but i am getting increasingly frustrated with tracking. I had ordered ldrs from uriah (2 matched pairs) but always had channel imbalance.

Yea, the lsa is in the same cabinets as the tubes (maybe 15 cm away). But i would assume the ambient temperature is the same for each ldr.

In your experience:
1. Is it possible to get perfect tracking channels?
2. How many Ldr's does roughly one need to buy to get a perfectly matching quartet (not 2 pairs)? (in your experience)
Old 17th January 2013, 01:35 AM   #4910
diyAudio Member

Here's a super cheapie but it starts at 2ma (do you need the 1ma?):

Mini Handy 2 150mA LED Bulb Light Lamp Tester Test Meter Box Tool w 9V Battery | eBay

This one's a bit more upscale and does the 1ma:

Precision LEDs Tester Light Emitting Diode Test Box | eBay

Oh, and how many LDRs to get a good match for simple single-ended stereo? Was it 15?

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70136789

Last edited by AudioLapDance; 17th January 2013 at 01:38 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!