Best Selector Switch? ..Advice plz!

Which one is the way to go? (Plz vote!)

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Last edited:
Thanks again ray....
That clarifies it.... 2 decks are preferable.. but not imperative..
Exactly what I was wondering...

The search continues....

BTW, I'm using this search string now:
GRAYHILL ROTARY SWITCH 2P 4POS 2D NEW OLD STOCK NOS

Last edited:
I've looked at THAT elma, on that site, many many times...
But it ain't "da nice price" ....lol

The NOS/milspec are sooo very appealing..
I'm finding several now, if willing to settle for 1 deck..
I'm gonna hold out a while, since I have high hopes for this project..

If you Google Grayhill selector switch and get on there website you can find all about the switch in question if you have the part number. Takes a little reading and searching at first if your not used to doing this.
As an example, I have 2 pieces of PN 44D30-02-2-ADJN
44 = the series or type
D = Standard adjustable stops (6 pole switch can be limited to 4 pole or what ever)
30 = angle of throw between detents
02 = number of decks
2 = Poles per deck (switch in question has 12 sets of contacts per deck with 2 poles = 6 position
A = solder lugs
D = adjustable stops
J = positions per pole depending on number of poles.
N = Non shorting.

The body of this particular switch is 1" in diameter and about 1 1/2" long not including the shaft. Shaft diameter is 1/4" with a flat. Diameter of body does not include the solder lugs.
Current rating is 1 amp and it will withstand 100,000 cycles of operation. (complete cycle through all contacts) It has a very nice feel with quality ball detents .

For information about the switches your looking at, get on there site and spend a little time to decipher the part number. These are high quality switches available in thousands of styles.

BillWojo

I haven't so far seen where it mentions its BCD...

For that matter, few "markers" that would indicate how to narrow it down..

I'm up to my neck in spec sheets on the Grayhill site...

At SOME point..... its just easier to just order the freakin Elma from the audiophile-diy store... and live with whatever disadvantage it causes.....

That much time and effort spent learning something you'll use one, maybe two times.... just doesn't make sense..

Last edited:
The best I've been able to do with a part number is this:
XXX30-02-2-AXJN
The X's are for what I can't determine (so far).
I don't know what series.... and haven't been able to find a clear legend.
I don't see why I need adjustable stops... unless I'm missing something... so X till I can determine what the correct alternative is..

ADJN
D = there's the adjustable stops again...
J = Haven't figured out yet where the legend for this is... don't know what the value of J is... nor what the letter code for the value of 4, that I need...

Dam their data sheets are disjointed!
Not to mention confusing...
Absolutely we're not their intended client...
GOVT bureaucrats obviously ARE!

My eyes are crossing... its time for bed.... :hypno2:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.