Arduino based LDR volume and source selection controller

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that one is too narrow to include all my controls (I have 5 buttons and the rotary encoder in addition to the LCD).

I ended up buying a grey plastic 2U rackmount chassis. I will fabricate a wood front panel (birch? beech? cherry?) while I continue development. I should be able to remake the front panel if I need to change something. The only challenge is lettering. Maybe down the road if/when the design becomes finalized I will get a custom chassis and front panel - those always look very professional.

@zdr, I received the 4x2 AIO board today, looks great! Just a few questions

- Do you have the schematics and/or layouts posted for this new board anywhere
- The included relays are have a coil voltage of 4.5v, I am assuming the R+ power for this board should be around this voltage, would 5v work?

Thanks!

Hi to all,

for several years I listen to this "construct"....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=639785&stc=1&d=1507755641

Yes - it is a special kind of LDR volume controll.....

and together with the other equipment I feel the sound --- stunning.

As you can see, it is more than time to complete this "thing" and in that moment I find this thread......

so, does someone have a PCB spare (best in Germany) that I can buy - to test this version?

"test" - because I wonder if it will work like mine: I have the LDR only to ground - but two of them in a channel - the other two resistors are fix ones. And the whole thing has an impedance of round 2k. The DAC can drive it without problem.

regards from Ruhrpott
Klaus

Attachments

• 20171011_222719-klein.jpg
    20171011_222719-klein.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 776
Hi to all,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=639785&stc=1&d=1507755641

As you can see, it is more than time to complete this "thing" and in that moment I find this thread......

so, does someone have a PCB spare (best in Germany) that I can buy - to test this version?

"test" - because I wonder if it will work like mine: I have the LDR only to ground - but two of them in a channel - the other two resistors are fix ones. And the whole thing has an impedance of round 2k. The DAC can drive it without problem.

regards from Ruhrpott
Klaus

Hi, there are several different versions of the PCBs at the moment depending on what you are trying to achieve.

I have several spares of the original (see post 1 in this thread) PSU PCB, main PCB and 3-input PCB boards available. Let me know via private message if you are interested and I will give you a price including shipping.

Thanks
Chris

Hi to all,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...election-controller-20171011_222719-klein-jpg

regards from Ruhrpott
Klaus

Klaus, why do you need such low resistance for a volume control? I can try and set VxD to 2.5K and see if it calibrates.

I have a question regarding the power supplies, since I am thinking to build a battery based power supply for the LDR board.

From what I understand is:
- the analog voltage supply is the most important one since it powers the LED's in the LDR.
- The digital supply is used for powering the Arduino and less critical.
- The relay supply is for powering the relays and therefore the least critical

Is this correct?

If so, I'm planning to power the analog part with an ultra low noise regulator from its own battery. So there is no influence of the 2 other parts at the analog part.

Then feed the digital and relay supplies from a second battery.
The digital part will get a normal LM7808 regulator.
And the relays get feed without any regulator at all. The voltage of this battery will probably differ from about minimal 11,5 to maximum 13,5 volt dependance on the state of charge.
Would this be a problem for the relay supply without any regulation?
Or maybe I miss something?

Thanks guys!
Any advice is welcome :)

I'm planning on building a Salas DCG3, and considering various options. I have a much modded CJ PV5 and a DAC source. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use this to switch the DAC input direct out to the CJ, and have it routed through another input to a direct out, while at other times switching the day through the DCG3 and controlling volume? Complicated, but it would be nice to be able to listen through tubes or silicon, and not have the tubes heated unless I were listening to that pre.

I have a question regarding the power supplies, since I am thinking to build a battery based power supply for the LDR board.

From what I understand is:
- the analog voltage supply is the most important one since it powers the LED's in the LDR.
- The digital supply is used for powering the Arduino and less critical.
- The relay supply is for powering the relays and therefore the least critical

Is this correct?

If so, I'm planning to power the analog part with an ultra low noise regulator from its own battery. So there is no influence of the 2 other parts at the analog part.

Then feed the digital and relay supplies from a second battery.
The digital part will get a normal LM7808 regulator.
And the relays get feed without any regulator at all. The voltage of this battery will probably differ from about minimal 11,5 to maximum 13,5 volt dependance on the state of charge.
Would this be a problem for the relay supply without any regulation?
Or maybe I miss something?

Thanks guys!
Any advice is welcome :)

None of the noise from any of the regulators is getting close to audio signal, so it really does not make sense to spend money on expensive regulators. Relays will likely work without tight regulation. The important thing is to have 8V rail drop down slowly enough on power off, so that arduino will have time to detect it and to store all the settings into eeprom.

This looks like a great Project!
i am wondering if i should build one as well.
some questions:
- what is the latest Arduino IDE you guys have tested?
- I noticed Neb has control pcbs, does anyone have a powersupply pcb or another powersupply recommendation with available pcbs?
- has anyone tested a Oled Display with 1209 controler?
thanks already, i am looking forward to some soldering this winter :)

- I noticed Neb has control pcbs, does anyone have a powersupply pcb or another powersupply recommendation with available pcbs?

I have spare original PSU boards available if you need one, I had them made up using the Gerber files in post 1 of this thread. A single PSU board would be £5 GBP (inclusive of shipping) to Europe.

PM me if you're interested.

Thanks
Chris

This looks like a great Project!
i am wondering if i should build one as well.
some questions:
- what is the latest Arduino IDE you guys have tested?
- has anyone tested a Oled Display with 1209 controler?
thanks already, i am looking forward to some soldering this winter :)

I was not able to make remote work with Arduino IDE higher than 1.6.9. I did not put much effort either. If anyone had made this work with latest IDE, please do chime in.

I just ordered that from farnell. They seem to have stock and you can order there the LDRs as well. Here are the links I used:
NSL-32SR2. - ADVANCED PHOTONIX - Optocoupler, Photocell / LDR Output, Axial, 4 Pins, 25 mA, 2 kV | Farnell element14

http://ro.farnell.com/on-semiconductor/fdv301n/n-channel-mosfet-220ma-25v-sot23/dp/9845011

These are in romanian, since I ordered from Romania, so you'll have to search for them in the german site. Or change the language?

Rest of the components I ordered from mouser. They offer free shipping I think over $60 or so. If you need a mouser order list, I have that for the V1 board - IO, PSU, CTRL (bought the boards a long time ago, never had time to get to assemble them).

Cheers,
Sorin