Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 209 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 09:52 AM   #2081
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparatusonitus View Post
I have
Discrete Opamp Open Design
Discrete Opamp Open Design

And I have another one for you
OKey, I am a bit disappointed.
Somebody else did it before me.
But I should have known... There is nothing new under the Sun.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:14 AM   #2082
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineup View Post
OKey, I am a bit disappointed.
Don't be...I'm sure someone else have tried it even before I have.
Anyway, you can try something else and be the first one...in Rush cascode there is no limitation for active devices, you don't have to use complementary devices of the same type, e.g. you can use n-jfet/pnp, n-mfet/pnp, triode/pnp...etc
Old 15th November 2012, 10:49 PM   #2083
diyAudio Member

I've been studying Jerald Graeme's "Feedback Plots define Op Amp AC Performance", sboa015.pdf from the TI library, while playing with stability of the FET990.

There are 2 considerations for stability which also lead to 2 definitions of 'Unconditional Stability
  • Stability with different levels of NFB. This old warhorse is fairly (??!) straightforward. Easy to have a different version for gain less than 3x etc or a single NPO ceramic to change. These are my C4/5 recommendations in post #2060. Graeme helps me formalise much of my experience & thinking and introduces at least one new dodge. Prof. Cherry is excellent if you ken reed, rite & kont.
  • Stability with load. This is the important one with Power Amps as you don't often tweak NFB but you do have loadsa different loads. Output Inductors are a big help for this but for a supa dupa GP OPA, SM inductors are truly evil and muck up your 1 ppzillion THD for various reasons. But easy (?!) enough if your noise gain is fixed.
But a GP OPA might have to cope with combinations of both so the tweaks & recommended C changes can become too complicated. Zobels don't guarantee unconditional.

I think the advice in the AD797 datasheet is about the limit of complexity. The instructions for uA709 are definitely too much for washed & unwashed masses alike. Hands up those of you who have used this vintage device.

Anyone done this sort of thing recently?

Last edited by kgrlee; 15th November 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 15th November 2012, 11:09 PM   #2084
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
But a GP OPA might have to cope with combinations of both so the tweaks & recommended C changes can become too complicated. Zobels don't guarantee unconditional.

I think the advice in the AD797 datasheet is about the limit of complexity. The instructions for uA709 are definitely too much for washed & unwashed masses alike. Hands up those of you who have used this vintage device.

Anyone done this sort of thing recently?
I've been interested in this stability thing for a while - the thought I would have is that since the device is discrete, what's really the point of making it general purpose, stable no matter what you throw at it? I would prefer to have a base topology, with multiple variations of the feedback and stabilising strategies, so that one could extract maximum performance depending upon what you're using it for ...

Frank
Old 15th November 2012, 11:17 PM   #2085
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
I would prefer to have a base topology, with multiple variations of the feedback and stabilising strategies, so that one could extract maximum performance depending upon what you're using it for ...
Frank, this is exactly what Scott & I are trying to do. The problem is that it then becomes too complicated to explain even to another guru. (not that I'm claiming guru status )

It took me a long time to be sure about my C4/5 = 15p, 47p & 100p on (mostly) resistive loads at any gain.

I'm still not happy I've got anything sensible I can explain even with polysyllables, when I add different reactive loads. (Dis be double-speak to say I'm all confused by my results )
Old 15th November 2012, 11:32 PM   #2086
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
Frank, this is exactly what Scott & I are trying to do. The problem is that it then becomes too complicated to explain even to another guru. (not that I'm claiming guru status )
Why worry about explaining it? Have one variation that will always work, and then list the conditions that must be met to use the edgier varieties. A simple checklist, a recipe type of thing, that people can refer to: things like, at least so much closed loop gain; and, the load must be resistive, may be so much reactive, etc.

Frank
Old 16th November 2012, 12:30 AM   #2087
diyAudio Member

> Hands up those of you who have used this vintage device

Hand up here. We did all compensation empirically with 10kHz squarewave.
(prescribed 2 caps and 1 resistor (no output networks))
Old 16th November 2012, 01:49 AM   #2088
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
I've been interested in this stability thing for a while - the thought I would have is that since the device is discrete, what's really the point of making it general purpose, stable no matter what you throw at it? I would prefer to have a base topology, with multiple variations of the feedback and stabilising strategies, so that one could extract maximum performance depending upon what you're using it for ...

Frank
You got it. There several comments here and elsewhere about why bother with discrete today.

So let's list again some bona-fide reasons.

1) High voltage and current operation possibly even as an input to a 50 or 100W PA.
2) Ability to bias output for a specific load (eliminate crossover).
3) Option to custom compensate for any application (very few IC's go above G = 5 decompensation).

This weekend looks good to finish the prototype (cold and dreary). The current thought is the VAS and output on a small card with a daughter card containing the various input stages.

EDIT - I will be having a nice leg of Aussie lamb Saturday. Last week we had a 1955 Belgian bottled Charmes-Chambertin (or so it said on the label) didn't matter it had already joined the parrot.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 16th November 2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 16th November 2012, 02:20 AM   #2089
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
You got it. There several comments here and elsewhere about why bother with discrete today.

So let's list again some bona-fide reasons.

1) High voltage and current operation possibly even as an input to a 50 or 100W PA.
2) Ability to bias output for a specific load (eliminate crossover).
3) Option to custom compensate for any application (very few IC's go above G = 5 decompensation).

This weekend looks good to finish the prototype (cold and dreary). The current thought is the VAS and output on a small card with a daughter card containing the various input stages.

EDIT - I will be having a nice leg of Aussie lamb Saturday. Last week we had a 1955 Belgian bottled Charmes-Chambertin (or so it said on the label) didn't matter it had already joined the parrot.
1955 Charmes-Chambertin is pushing it. Most probably bleedin' deceased. My condolences.

My oldest authentic burg is a 1983 La Tache magnum. When??
Old 16th November 2012, 02:42 AM   #2090
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
My oldest authentic burg is a 1983 La Tache magnum. When??
1983 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche, France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru - CellarTracker!

Frank

Hide this!Advertise here!