Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 178 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2012, 01:53 PM   #1771
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I would think you'll have more luck drawing heat out of the PCB than out of the top of the part. the thermal impedance of the casing will be significant, wouldnt an appropriately designed PCB with thicker than normal copper be more effective? this way you get the heat from the bottom of the part as well as that from the legs, which will be more than through the case.

how about mounting it upsidedown with thermal vias and using little BGA heatsinks on 'top' this way you take advantage of heat rising as well
Old 17th October 2012, 02:44 PM   #1772
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
I would think you'll have more luck drawing heat out of the PCB than out of the top of the part. the thermal impedance of the casing will be significant, wouldnt an appropriately designed PCB with thicker than normal copper be more effective? this way you get the heat from the bottom of the part as well as that from the legs, which will be more than through the case.

how about mounting it upsidedown with thermal vias and using little BGA heatsinks on 'top' this way you take advantage of heat rising as well
With dissipations kept fairly low by cascoding, it's not that important IMO to draw heat away. The more significant reason to do thermal things is to provide coupling between parts, if they are matched. And as mentioned, biasing them near the zero tempco point makes life easier, although those currents may be inconveniently high and require additional mods to the overall amp.

The chip in the BF862, like many single JFETs, sits on the gate lead, and NXP bases their dissipation rating temperature on the temp of that lead. Pulling heat away or coupling via the plastic of the package is going to be less effective than coupling via the gate leads. However, obviously you can't just short them to one another

Again, as Scott points out, you can simply not worry about this and use a matched pair dual with electrically isolated channels like the LSK389, which is available in SO-8, or for the NOS crowd, the 2SK389 (funny package).
Old 17th October 2012, 03:50 PM   #1773
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks I had presumed that was important too, but figured its going to be more effective through the leads and PCB going by my experience of heatsinking PCB mount stuff that doesnt already have a powerpad underneath. so just have the thermal vias through to copper area on the other side (can just be copper wire for DIY PCB) and bond with a little piece of copper on the other side with something like arctic silver, or even sekisui thermal tape (non-conductive so the additional piece of copper could be grounded, provided the capacitance from that is OK)

Last edited by qusp; 17th October 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 17th October 2012, 05:28 PM   #1774
diyAudio Member

With default values I found the worst case drift AFTER trimming the offset back to zero was about 20uV/C for both pairs of FET's having a 10% mismatch of Idss (combined in the worst way).
Old 17th October 2012, 06:04 PM   #1775
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
With default values I found the worst case drift AFTER trimming the offset back to zero was about 20uV/C for both pairs of FET's having a 10% mismatch of Idss (combined in the worst way).
Yes, and we do need to realize that this is an amp for audio applications. If d.c. drift were a huge concern there are ways, with some very good monolithic solutions.
Old 17th October 2012, 06:06 PM   #1776
diyAudio Member

Found my power on latchup possibility. If the minus rail comes on first the input is tilted all the way to the negative side and the upper cascode collapses. The simple diode fixes this by powering the cascode if the input ever tilts all the way during turn on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg latch.jpg (49.2 KB, 334 views)
Old 17th October 2012, 06:08 PM   #1777
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Found my power on latchup possibility. If the minus rail comes on first the input is tilted all the way to the negative side and the upper cascode collapses. The simple diode fixes this by powering the cascode if the input ever tilts all the way during turn on.
Good catch, as they say
Old 17th October 2012, 06:55 PM   #1778
diyAudio Member

Default Unobtainium components

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
You can still get c254x, Toshiba c3329 & Rohm d786 in qtys for small production but their pnp complements are truly Unobtainium.
While we're discussing Unobtainium components, I'll ask forum members for advice and move back on topic.

The simplified Wurcer 990 I post in #1692 has excellent performance. On fas42's more stringent 100x 20kHz 20Vpp 600R test in #1694, its actually better than Guru Wurcer's more complex supa dupa circuit.

2nd -101.7dB 3rd -102.8dB Simplified 990
2nd -89.9dB 3rd -89.3dB Wurcer SupaDupa

But this is without the essential Clamping Diode Q8 It appears the evil non-linear leakage/capacitance of this diode is mucking things up big time.

If we could find a nice diode or diode-connected-BJT with very small leakage/capacitance, we could have Wurcer performance with much less complexity.

Any suggestions? Especially for diodes/BJTs with good SPICE models?

The voltage current requirements are quite small.

ricardo 'wannabe a SPICE guru' lee
Old 17th October 2012, 06:56 PM   #1779
Waly is offline Waly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Distortions due to the nonlinear diode capacitance?
Old 17th October 2012, 07:29 PM   #1780
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waly View Post
Distortions due to the nonlinear diode capacitance?
No signal voltage across this point. Richard is talking about the JFET JE990 which has clamps that do see the signal. In IC's we had to use PNP's that had no reverse EB breakdown.

Hide this!Advertise here!