Discrete Opamp Open Design

I use multi tone tests on speakers. The best score -60dB at medium level over 50Hz.
Lowering the volume it gets better and raising the volume it gets worse. Why better electronics sound better on a speaker that is much worse is not totally clear. One explanation could be that good speakers have mostly second and third harmonic and the distortion goes down with level.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I, for one, would like to see the multitone test applied to someone's whole chain of audio gear... Then the recording side of the process. That is what we are listening to/hearing... the whole chain. So, how to get a turn-key multitone test going using a PC? Quick, easy and not too expensive. Without the rocket science approach, pls. Just want to do some tests and not reinvent anything. Thx -RNM

Actually that is what it has been created for initially! Send a multitone from the studio desk out to the transmitter into the country, and from a receiver back to the analyzer portion. Fraction of a second off-air time and then you can analyze to your hearts desire. The AP marketing term was FastTest (italics AP).
The notion that it is a better audio test to correlate with listening perceptions came later, and reading the comments so far I'm not convinced it is.
But it is a nice design tool.

jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
RNMarsh,
The question is if you can possibly use the internal sound card in a typical computer to do this. I am probably wrong but it doesn't seem like most sound cards would have the precision that you are asking for, and what are you using as a reference to calibrate such a system? I assume that there is a reason for the Audio Precision testing equipment to exist besides looking nice.

If you have MathLab or MathCad or one of the open source versions you can create a .wav file with all the multitones you want and play that through the soundcard. No special 'precision' needed. The reason for the AP equipment is NOT that it can do multitones - multitone testing is mainly a matter of mathematics and a good generator and analyser, and the latter can be found in a good sound card.

jan

If you have MathLab or MathCad or one of the open source versions you can create a .wav file with all the multitones you want and play that through the soundcard. No special 'precision' needed. The reason for the AP equipment is NOT that it can do multitones - multitone testing is mainly a matter of mathematics and a good generator and analyser, and the latter can be found in a good sound card.

Janneman,
Could you draw a little picture of how you are arranging the connections to a simple sound card. Nothing intermediate is used between the outputs and inputs to the card? I understand what you are saying about creating a test tone with software, just how you are doing the comparison is what I am looking for here.

Steven

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
what is the best way to bootstrap my headphone amp circuit for higher voltage operation instead of using higher voltage transistors?

One option would be a floating supply with the mid-point driven from a HV opamp like the OPA453 IIRC.

One limitation to that would be the input stage; you can't lift the V- above ground because then the input stage gets into trouble.
But it should at least give you double the voltage range (also depends on your amp gain).

jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Janneman,
Could you draw a little picture of how you are arranging the connections to a simple sound card. Nothing intermediate is used between the outputs and inputs to the card? I understand what you are saying about creating a test tone with software, just how you are doing the comparison is what I am looking for here.

Steven

The soundcard connection is straight forward: you play the multitone .wav from the output of the soundcard into your amp and take the amp output in through the soundcard input and do an FFT. The crux lies in the software that generates your multitone .wav and the measurement software you use for the soundcard. I was getting up to speed with ARTA before my house move so that's been on the backburner but i need to pick it up again.
But I guess apps like Audio Tester and others can do that too.

I will attach the ISO31 standard file as well as the .wav if I can find it.

jan

Attachments

• ISO31_rename_to_wav.txt
    24.3 KB · Views: 63
  • iso31_rename_to_xls.txt
    24 KB · Views: 56
what is the best way to bootstrap my headphone amp circuit for higher voltage operation instead of using higher voltage transistors?
How much higher ?

Attachments

• marshamp.GIF
    marshamp.GIF
    2.9 KB · Views: 434

jan

Yes, Octave and Sound Exchange come to mind, both free and heavily supported.

Some notes on the AP utility; It does not appear to build without an AP environment, from reading the .pdf they take the 31 tones you posted and pick the closest exact bin depending on record length and sample rate, and they simply minimize the crest factor randomly and keep the smallest if you want.

So here is what you do, pick a power of 2 record length (such as 16384) and make a table of exact bin frequencies from your sample rate (44,100,96000,...). For 16384 and 96000 it starts, by bin, 0,5.859Hz, 11.718Hz ,17.578Hz,..... keep as many digits as you can. Take the closeset 31 from the table and put the same amplitude tone in those bins with a random phase (0 to 2pi), the inverse FFT is then your time waveform (scale it to whatever you want). The crest factor will be a surprise so just reseed the random number and do it again if you want.

A comment on the frequency selection, I don't think the non-common factors of the bins is that important. An IM tone only needs to fall in a bin not exactly on the bins center frequency to go into a tone bin rather than a "noise" bin. If you go through this exercise at 16384 you will see the low frequency tones have no space (bin) between them, that is why I would do 65536 at minimum.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
There just is no amp that measures just OK on a 19k/20k IMD but is horrible under multi-tone.

I dont doubt this. Broadcast industry has their station data on loop-back using multitones - which is both practicle for them but also gives an accumulated number that is useful for QC/QA and alignments etal. We (audiophiles) dont have such numbers (do we?). yes, we could use a 1-2 tone test thru the whole system and see the results and do it at several freqs and combo's of IM. Might just have to do that if we cant find an easy PC way to do it with one measurement - MultiTone. The system numbers could be more interesting as the distortion products add to one another to reach some interesting number levels. And, unlike measuring individual equipmnt and getting the same numbers as another person who has that piece of equipment... the total system numbers are unique to the combination used by a person in thier system.... if they use SET or analog or digital, class A or AB, tube, ss etc.

Even though the speakers are a disaster of distortion (most of them)... and dominate the sound (and acoustics).... the delta of a smaller added to a larger can be detected as a change... if above at least .03-.05% At least that is the official scientifically derived number for now -- we dont yet know the bottem number on hearing ability... so we need to keep an open mind when we make conclusions near these levels. We do know that the detectable limits under certain conditions are a lot lower now than we used to think from previous testing/assumptions. Ditto that re freq deviations and resonance detection etal.

Sorry, I know you know this stuff... its a prelude for anyone reading this to the system multiTone testing that audiophiles might find interesting results and maybe helpful in the total view of their music systems and designs. Thx - Dick

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, Octave and Sound Exchange come to mind, both free and heavily supported.

Some notes on the AP utility; It does not appear to build without an AP environment, from reading the .pdf they take the 31 tones you posted and pick the closest exact bin depending on record length and sample rate, and they simply minimize the crest factor randomly and keep the smallest if you want.

The original AP utility came out with S1.exe and can run stand-alone from a DOS command line but I can't get it to work. With APwin it became integrated in the program.

jan

The original AP utility came out with S1.exe and can run stand-alone from a DOS command line but I can't get it to work. With APwin it became integrated in the program.

jan

I see. In my example above you could also simply sum 31 sine waves with random phase at the right frequencies. The frequencies would be bin-number*96000/16384 up to 48000 kHz the Nyquist rate (65536 or larger wuld be preferable). To use the inverse FFT method you have to recall your complex math to build the frequency domain representation.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
SW discrete opamp BF862 (post 135).

I have put in bootstrapped cascodes on the front end and 5401/5551 as the cascode BJT's in the "VAS", so there is no problem using the circuit at higher voltages.

As you can see in the attached file I have stepped the source resistance from 50ohm to 2kohm and there is almost no change in THD.

It is possible to improve the circuit, but it is rather pointless to design a perfect front without using a relevant output stage.

So in order to move forward we must, among other things therefore agree on the load.
600 ohm or 30 ohm?

BTW: Maybe the circuit needs a better name than "post 135" or maybe not?

Stein

Attachments

• SW discrete opamp BF862 bootst casc RS 50-2k.jpg
    SW discrete opamp BF862 bootst casc RS 50-2k.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 413
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
SW discrete opamp BF862 (post 135).

I have put in bootstrapped cascodes on the front end and 5401/5551 as the cascode BJT's in the "VAS", so there is no problem using the circuit at higher voltages.

As you can see in the attached file I have stepped the source resistance from 50ohm to 2kohm and there is almost no change in THD.

It is possible to improve the circuit, but it is rather pointless to design a perfect front without using a relevant output stage.

So in order to move forward we must, among other things therefore agree on the load.
600 ohm or 30 ohm?

BTW: Maybe the circuit needs a better name than "post 135" or maybe not?

Stein

30 ohms to me just seems brutal, other than for limited voltage swings into headphones. 600 is already pretty stiff, suitable for driving low-Z feedback networks I suppose and reasonable loads.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Ho Lee Chit says -->

You mean after all these years we cant just download a MultiTone software to a PC or iPOD thingy?

Little boy said about his dead grandfather -- " I LIKE BIRTHDAYS, but I think too many CAN KILL YOU."

What's another word for Synonym?

God put me here to accomplish certain things. Right now I'm so far behind I WILL NEVER DIE!

A good example is the best Sermon.

:)