Discrete Opamp Open Design

Wangine in Taiwan did a jfet input version of the 990 more than 20 years ago for a Parasound preamp Called the P-Fet 900, I think.

It might be interesting to offer an update since the devices specified are listed as obsolete. I found it funny that Pete also discovered Dick Burwen's work, 46 years old. I think basicly the discrete op-amp ground was well covered 40 yr. ago.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Also as bcarso points out there might be an opportunity for power on latch-up so there might be a simple clamp needed somewhere. I don't think this is a big problem.

That apparent problem was I suspect just an artifact of initialization with an ideal buffer, one with unlimited output voltage swing. However, some worst-case rail sequencing and heavy overloading should probably be done before we go into production :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
latch-up

Often (not always) power on latch up can be handled by assuring both + and - supplies come up together. Often this complicates a dual reg supply design. This can be done many ways but the simplest way (thus my favorite) is to use a large value cap across the + and - rails.
As a byproduct, it cancels differential mode noise and aids in keeping the two rail voltages equal.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Often (not always) power on latch up can be handled by assuring both + and - supplies come up together. Often this complicates a dual reg supply design. This can be done many ways but the simplest way (thus my favorite) is to use a large value cap across the + and - rails.
As a byproduct, it cancels differential mode noise and aids in keeping the two rail voltages equal.
For traditional regulated dual-rail supplies I usually have one reference voltage with lots of filtering determine the one rail, and a equal R voltage divider from that output to the other output be the complementary rail's output feedback, with common as the other error amp voltage. By the time the first reference comes up, both of the unregulated inputs have stabilized, so the overall effect is orderly symmetrical ramps on both outputs.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I just love it when Scott puts up a circuit! This refinement on the first is a Very nice blend of volt and current feedback concepts. Still flexible re adjusting open/closed loop gain for DIY'ers to play with to learn about that issue. I was happy with the first design put up. Now this! Its getting dialed in... wont be long now (?) and we can build something. :) Thx -RNM

OK here is the Rush cascode version 200V/us into 600 Ohms not to shabby.

Attachments

• xcir1.jpg
    xcir1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 494
  • xcir2.JPG
    xcir2.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 469
  • xcir3.JPG
    xcir3.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 426
What seems to be lost here, is: WHAT IS IMPORTANT? Of course, many discrete op amp design ideas were developed more that 40 years ago, but not all! The OPTIMUM designs are usually elegant, as well as relatively easy to source parts, etc. Unfortunately, then the OPTIMUM design changes with source availability, as well as added circuit tricks.
What is important is how linear and/or how quiet the circuit is, how fast, etc.

Dick Burwen

It might be interesting to offer an update since the devices specified are listed as obsolete. I found it funny that Pete also discovered Dick Burwen's work, 46 years old. I think basicly the discrete op-amp ground was well covered 40 yr. ago.
Well, didn't he design most of the Cello line? It's a favored mastering tool in many recording studios. And some of those transistors go back to the 60s. I would think that transistor manufacture has improved with getting the impurities out of the silicon sandwich in 40 years. I know they don't want to make discreet devices. Ray

I think that Tom Colangelo designed most of the Cello circuits. It is interesting to see how Mark L. tries to re-write history. Apparently, neither Tom or I am an interesting or important part in Mark's history, anymore.
Dick Burwen designed the original LMP-2, LNC-2 for Mark Levinson Audio Systems, then much later, designed the Cello equalizer. Dick Burwen has been a believer in IC's since the early 70's, almost exclusively. He DID design good discrete op amps for AD back in the '60's, but he converted over, early. In fact, that is why I was able to take over design at MLAS, for a couple of years. I designed sophisticated discrete designs, that Mark found sounded better than selected IC's at the time.

Also as bcarso points out there might be an opportunity for power on latch-up so there might be a simple clamp needed somewhere. I don't think this is a big problem.
There's various types of latch up behaviour.

TL07x will go "bang, bang" to each rail on startup but are normally OK after that .. even on simple single supply circuits.

Far nastier is LM4562 which will latch and not let go on many simple single supply circuits.

Both have *!?@!" overload behaviour on certain HP filter circuits.

You can get round these with some extra circuit complexity but usually the best solution is to use another OPA.

Is there a list of requirements for this project somewhere?