upgrading active xover with LM4562

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Try this. If you can test higher than 8Khz then try it.

Attachments

• Test.jpg
    Test.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 138
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Knowing you have breadboard makes this easy as you can test the opamps for sure and come to a definite conclusion.

Your 4562's are behaving more like the 1458 (an ancient low speed low drive device) that I tried in my scope shots the other day.

i tried the circuit that you showed me. loaded 33kohms, 20k, 10k down to 150 ohms. for some reason, the wave still remains the same??:confused:

however, i tried putting a couple of .047uf mylar caps parallel to the load resistor and i was able to get a significant change in waveform without significant change in level.

here's the waveform as it originally exits pin1 even with different load resistors.
DSC03201.jpg

after putting caps in parallel with the resistor.
DSC03202.jpg

then i tried it to the circuit i replicated. here's the original waveform @ pin1
DSC03205.jpg

after putting caps @ pin1 to gnd
DSC03204.jpg

what's your take on this mooly?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I really think these IC's are very very suspect...

Could they be comparators badged as 4562'S ? Something like that might account for the gross distortion. The "crossover" distortion at the centre of the waveform is big clue all is not as it should be. I think a comparator would actually behave like that if used as a linear amp. A small cap such as 0.047uF is just acting as an integrator and "taking the rough edges off" and causing the output to slew rate limit.

I can't see any other explanation tbh.
I was trying to look at the picture of it. Very hard to say I know. Worth rubbing with alcohol or even really fine wet/dry paper and seeing if anything is underneath.

Another worthwhile test. Just measure the current into pin 8 with no load and no signal. My data sheet say the LM4562 draws 10ma typically, maximum of 12ma. See what it actually is.

hi mooly,

did the current draw test. i think we may have found the culprit. either they're all toast (tested 18 units) or they could be something other than a 4562.

without load it draws .65mA. i tried loading it and giving 8kHz input signal, it goes to 0.7mA.

i tried the 4558 in place and it did 1.75mA unloaded. still far from the 3mA spec but given the unit to be nearly 7yrs old i don't worry much about it. plus it works as it should when placed in the crossover.

the 4560 draws a respectable 3.6mA unloaded so i guess it is within spec.

so, do we have the culprit??:D

i may want to order another batch of 4562 myself. together with the 2134 . i'm thinking mouser if they have some, digi key lists 0 in their available quantity.

whoah! those are same waves as mine!:eek:

anyway, i'll be getting some more caps and opamps. just found out mouser ships to my country through fedex with an estimated delivery of 3 days ($40.00). i hope it will arrive next week.

too bad we got bad ICs. my friend started re-building his 4 way crossover with SOIC lm4562 in browndog adapter to replace the rc4136 and it's showing the same problem and scope waves as mine.

thanks for all your help mooly. i really appreciate it. i'll update this thread once i get the parts.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.