Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Is the amp you gonna drive DC input? Or it has a capacitor? The goal is under 5mV offset in order not to be highly multiplied by a DC input amp. Last chance with the JFETS you got, mutually exchange positions in those two associated with the 6.9mV offset. Maybe you luck out and they will fall a bit more, or they simply go higher offset and you put them back as they were.

DCB1 will be on F5 ...

OK, Will try this swap, but - not tonight :)

Thanx for your time and advices :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You would need dead on matched FETS to near 0mV, but up to 5mV is OK for the F5 which will not multiply it much due to its a low gain amp. The general disclaimer that when mating a DC preamp/buffer to a DC amp without any output DC sensor protection, your speakers are in danger in case of any failures in the future still stands. Nobody cares and most mate an F5, but anyway.:D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There are two points reminding a power amp config. One is the middle Tx wire connecting point where the big caps recombine currents and its dirtier, and there is a ''tail'' point at the other end where the regulated outputs are closing to earth, marked G(round). Can take a connector as well. Don't know your loop breaking purposes or what happens when balanced, but those are two points convenient to try.

Attachments

• GroundTap.gif
    GroundTap.gif
    56.3 KB · Views: 811
Before i mount my lvl 1 hot rodded dcb1 into the chassis, i was wondering if it would be better to use the bottom of my chassis (bottom alu sheet measures ~ 350mm x 430mm x 4mm thickness) as the heatsink instead of the heatsinks that i'm using right now. I realize with these heatsinks i can only rest my finger there for at most 5 seconds - it is really quite hot.

IMG_2162.jpg

I think you can do what I did...

DSC00354.JPG

I bent my mosfets over and added heatsinks. Now I'm going to mount them to the case... I think I'll need to place spacers (or maybe just washers) and insulate them from the case. I'm not there yet, I'm ordering a case soon.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If the Mosfets are already insulated on their metal backs from each sink with thermal pads, no need to insulate again. The screw does not touch the metal part of the Mosfets, they are TO-247 package with a plastic covered mounting ''eye''. Simplest way is to use pads.

Attachments

• IRFP9240&240TO247.gif
    IRFP9240&240TO247.gif
    38.4 KB · Views: 447
Before i mount my lvl 1 hot rodded dcb1 into the chassis, i was wondering if it would be better to use the bottom of my chassis (bottom alu sheet measures ~ 350mm x 430mm x 4mm thickness) as the heatsink instead of the heatsinks that i'm using right now. I realize with these heatsinks i can only rest my finger there for at most 5 seconds - it is really quite hot.

IMG_2162.jpg

Hi,
Was that a separate PS module for the DCB1on the right side of the photo? So, you are not using the on board reg?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Will take enough, but he will know how much is comfortable only in the end. I would not let the plates go more than 45C, because they can be slowly ''frying'' the goods like a pan in the long term. Must spot check plates area under the PCBs with a temp measurement thingy.

I am visiting and using someone else's computer.
I had to wait about 6minutes for this page to download. The message that repeatedly flashed up was:
"receiving data from i.imgur.com"
Now I find that four new images have been posted by Johnw on a remote server.
When is this practice going to be barred?

Thanks guys!
DaveM you have a keen eye :D

Are those aluminium plates enough for Hot rod?

Will take enough, but he will know how much is comfortable only in the end. I would not let the plates go more than 45C, because they can be slowly ''frying'' the goods like a pan in the long term. Must spot check plates area under the PCBs with a temp measurement thingy.

I’m using 3.3 ohm resistors, aiming for 600mA. :hot:
I was fairly diligent sanding back the base and al plates adding thermal grease between etc, I’m hoping for a good transfer of heat to the large 350 x 435mm base panel.

I am visiting and using someone else's computer.
I had to wait about 6minutes for this page to download. The message that repeatedly flashed up was:
"receiving data from i.imgur.com"
Now I find that four new images have been posted by Johnw on a remote server.
When is this practice going to be barred?

I apologise Andrew and anyone else who has been affected. I was not aware of this rule. Salas please take down my post if you feel you need to.