kaneda preamp - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2006, 12:04 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EUVL
For your info, you can find updated circuits from Kaneda (himself) in this book which contains very detailed building instructions, including drawings for mechanical parts :

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4...UTF8&s=gateway

The book can be ordered using its ASIN number :

ASIN: 441610300X

Patrick
Patrick,

is it worth reading?
does it contain more than the last years MJ magazine articles?

best regards,
Hartmut
Old 21st September 2006, 12:36 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hifidaddy

Patrick,

is it worth reading?
does it contain more than the last years MJ magazine articles?

best regards,
Hartmut

Am I correct that this book is only available in japanese?

Jan Didden
Old 21st September 2006, 12:39 PM   #103
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcarr
Having no idea of what design L'Audiophile chose to publish and promote as "Kaneda's Preamp #1", I felt that it would be instructive to show the real amplifier schematics for the original Kaneda Preamp #1, pretty much as they were first seen in Musen to Jikken nearly 30 years ago.

T
The "original" diagram from L'Audiophile is linked by arthur in post #3 in this thread...
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/kaneda_p.htm

This is the one I built, but could not balance the line stage built with discretes instead of monolith Qs. I have been thinking of using the 2SK30 also in the line stage, as I still have a few extra... don't know if it's worth the effort ,though....???
Old 21st September 2006, 04:16 PM   #104
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> is it worth reading?

Well, if you already know his full-symmetry circuit, then you might find it boring, except perhaps for his component choices, etc. This is because he uses the same basic circuit topology for everything -- buffers, preamps, phono, power amp, ....

For example, I find it interesting that he uses 2SK2554 for his power amps. So for me it is still interesting.

There are lots of tube circuits as well, but I am not into tubes.

A friend got them (2 Volumes) for me in Japan for approx. 26 Euros each. At that price, I don't have to think twice.

There are also a few variations of protection circuits. His PSU's are all NOT regulated, just caps after rectifiers !!!!

For beginners, it is a great book. Very detailed instructions, lots of drawings & photos, very tidy layouts (all point to point on universal boards, no etching). Theories very well explained.

>does it contain more than the last years MJ magazine articles?

I don't know the magazine, so can't answer that one.

> Am I correct that this book is only available in japanese?

Yes. But I am sure you, like me, can read circuit diagrams, mechanical drawings, transistor curves..... What more do you need ?

I think it is worth the money, if only as a collectors item. But that is of course only my personal opinion.

PS The circuit in the book is somewhat different to that shown in the link :

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/kaneda_p.htm

though they commonly have diff pair first & second stages, followed by N-Type transistor quasi-pushpull output stage. Very similar to the Yamaha Power JFET amps in the 70's. (See Nelson Pass Zen V8.)

Patrick

Old 6th October 2007, 08:08 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Default Kaneda preamplifier

I built the Kaneda preamplifier in 1988 with the recommended
components including 2SK30AGR/2SA640/2SC984. After a few
listens I noticed the sound had a very slight amount of
distortion. I compared it with another preamplifier I had heard
before which sounded remarkably open and distortion-free.
I figured a while what to do about it and came to the conclusion
that if the feeding voltages, in this circuit + - 35 volts, is a bit too
high, light saturation of some transistors occurs and the output
signal is affected. With some experimenting I lowered the feeding voltages to + - 24 volts (+ - 20 volts via a trimming resistor to the line stage) did the trimming points without major problems just ever so slight instability which seems to be unavoidable, and, my beliefs were right, the sound from the Kaneda preamplifier became improved, open and natural. A minor loss in dynamics should be a drawback but with an over-dimensioned power supply capable of delivering current it is not significant. Also a few modifications in the RIAA-correction is of importance to achieve a more linear curve. This was published in the Swedish music technical magazine Musik- och Ljudteknik (1-1992). Replace decoupling capacitors 1.5 nF>1.33 nF (1 nF + 330 pF),
4.7 nF>4.72 nF (3.9 nF + 820 pF), decoupling resistor 51K>56K and T2 gate resistor to ground 1.2K>470.
/I. Söderholm
Old 9th March 2010, 09:14 PM   #106
JFG67 is offline JFG67  France
diyAudio Member

Wink Préamp Kanéda DC1

Hello All ,

Le DIY d'Alsido :: Pre-amplificateurs et Filtres actifs :: Clone de Kaneda DC 1

Click the image to open in full size.

@ + JF

Last edited by JFG67; 9th March 2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 4th December 2012, 03:46 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Here's the schematic and layout of a folded Kaneda-style discrete opamp, with currently-available SMD parts. The board is about 12.5mm x 15mm, slightly larger than a stock DIP8 single opamp.

The preliminary parts list (subject to change):

Q1, Q2, Q3: 2sk209
Q4, Q5: BC847BPN dual NPN/PNP
R1, R2: 150R
R3: 470R
R4, R6: 2K
R5: 150R
R7: 33K
R8: 30R
C1: 15pF
D1: BAV99
Attached Images
File Type: png lf04s_sch.png (14.8 KB, 779 views)
File Type: png lf04s_brd.png (19.4 KB, 749 views)

Last edited by linuxguru; 4th December 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: attachments
Old 30th January 2013, 08:35 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Here's a pic of the first prototype of a folded Kaneda-style Class-A opamp in DIP8, all-SMD components. It uses the same topology as the schematic in post #107, but the LTP is a BJT pair like the BC850c or MMBT4403. The board area has been reduced to about 11mm x 14mm by removing unused pins 1 and 5. A rail-to-rail bypass capacitor in 1210 size is installed on the lower layer.

The first prototype is a proof-of-concept test unit which works fine as is, but changes may happen to the values of actives/passives after experimentation.

The two unpopulated SMD locations at the top left are the Miller compensation network from the output to the compensation node, which is also brought out to pin 8, so it can be externally-compensated - for instance, when used as the opamp module in a Mauro Penasa MyRef power amplifier in place of the default LM318.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lf05_v1.2_12x9.jpg (213.9 KB, 545 views)
Old 6th May 2014, 11:24 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguru View Post
Here's the schematic and layout of a folded Kaneda-style discrete opamp, with currently-available SMD parts. The board is about 12.5mm x 15mm, slightly larger than a stock DIP8 single opamp.

The preliminary parts list (subject to change):

Q1, Q2, Q3: 2sk209
Q4, Q5: BC847BPN dual NPN/PNP
R1, R2: 150R
R3: 470R
R4, R6: 2K
R5: 150R
R7: 33K
R8: 30R
C1: 15pF
D1: BAV99
Having Q3, Q4 and D1 and the compensation does not qualify it as Kaneda in my opinion.
I would be interested if you try a second experiment with the stuffing of the schema with a resistor long tail.
Old 6th May 2014, 04:52 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode_al View Post
Having Q3, Q4 and D1 and the compensation does not qualify it as Kaneda in my opinion.
I would be interested if you try a second experiment with the stuffing of the schema with a resistor long tail.
It's a folded-Kaneda variant, not the original Kaneda with a differential VAS. It's possible to omit Q3 and jumper its source to drain with a zero-ohm resistor, and I'll try that later. However, the THD20 was a bit high in the sim with a pure resistive current source.

However, you're correct - the sonics of the resistive LTP are better than the one with a high-Z CCS, because of the tanh-character of the resistive LTP. That's one of the strengths of the Melcor 1731 discrete opamp - that's broadly a Kaneda with an additional Class-AB output stage.

Hide this!Advertise here!