ZV7R: Question from beginner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hum problem

Hi, everyone. I finally finished building my ZV7R. But I have one problem, hum.
As you see in the attached schematics, I connected minus input to the ground and I inserted 10k pot (for volume) between plus input and C1 since I would like to use this as unbalanced operation. But hum comes out when I increase volume level. So I removed pot4, but still hum comes out. Next, I disconnected minus input and ground (balanced operation?) then the hum didn�ft come out. The input is open.
How should I connect minus input and ground for unbalanced operation? And how should I put pot4 for volume control? Please help me.

Kaz

Attachments

• zv7r.jpg
    zv7r.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 125
salam-kaz, It could be that the two inputs don't see a balanced source impedance:bigeyes: That would mean you need a dual pot for volume control. One on the - input to gnd also. And a small R to gnd on the - input to simulate your source R also...
Just an idea:D

your could fabricate a phase splitter...

Quoting the author: "A transistor amplifier can be configured to act as a phase splitter. C1 is the input signal coupling capacitor and couples the input signal to the base of Q1. R1 develops the input signal. R2 and R3 develop the output signals. R2 and R3 are equal resistances to provide equal amplitude output signals. C2 and C3 couple the output signals to the next stage. R4 is used to provide proper bias for the base of Q1. This phase splitter is actually a single transistor combining the qualities of the common-emitter and common-collector configurations. The output signals are equal in amplitude of the input signal, but are 180º out of phase from each other."

http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14180/css/14180_40.htm

John:)

Attachments

• single transistor phase splitter pic.gif
    single transistor phase splitter pic.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 93
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: your could fabricate a phase splitter...

carpenter said:
Quoting the author: "A transistor amplifier can be configured to act as a phase splitter. C1 is the input signal coupling capacitor and couples the input signal to the base of Q1. R1 develops the input signal. R2 and R3 develop the output signals. R2 and R3 are equal resistances to provide equal amplitude output signals. C2 and C3 couple the output signals to the next stage. R4 is used to provide proper bias for the base of Q1. This phase splitter is actually a single transistor combining the qualities of the common-emitter and common-collector configurations. The output signals are equal in amplitude of the input signal, but are 180º out of phase from each other."

http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14180/css/14180_40.htm

John:)

???

hum problem

Hi, every one. Thanks for the reply.
First of all, sorry, I made a mistake with my schemaics. The pot4 and C1 position is opposite. Plus input-pot4-C1 is correct.
I did the same connection for my mini son of zen and ZV6, but I had no problem. ( or I just couldn't recognized because the max output power is less than 1W) Are these such different? Anyway, I will try dual pot for both inputs tonight.

Hi, I have just tried to use two pots for both inputs like the attached schematics.
When the both inputs are open (balanced operation) the hum didn�ft come out even the full volume. But if the minus input is grounded (unbalanced operation) the hum did come out but it seems better than single pot case.
I think ZV7R and other Zen amplifier, say, first watt F1 have basically the same construction. So I�fm curious why F1 can do the unbalanced operation by simply plugging short pin into the minus and ground while ZV7R can�ft.

Attachments

• zv7r_2.jpg
    zv7r_2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 121
salam-kaz, Right, but also there is a source impeadance to both inputs that is not balanced in that case. In the case of both inputs being open, you have infinate source impeadance. They are balanced. However, say for instance you are driving your + input with a 50 ohm signal generator. I believe ideally, you should have a 50 ohm resistor terminating the - input to ground also.
Another important consideration is, where are you actually connecting the -input ground? If it is in an area of high current, you could be picking up the hum as a voltage drop from that area. These things can be tricky...

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
salam-kaz said:
But if the minus input is grounded (unbalanced operation) the hum did come out

As you have the pot to the minus input,
you may leave the nimus input open
because the -input is already connected to the gnd through the pot

If so, the both +/- mosfet gates would see the same resistance
to the ground (hum source?)

Hope you will solve it soon

Hi Flg_san and Babowana_san. Thank you for the advice.
I believe ideally, you should have a 50 ohm resistor terminating the - input to ground also.
Then, why the F1 doesn�ft have to adjust impedance ? Because the F1 has 221 ohm and 1M ohm resister after the input? Also, how does the F1 connect to an unbalanced source via volume?
If it is in an area of high current, you could be picking up the hum as a voltage drop from that area.
Does this mean ground loop problem? I tried many cases including �gstar ground�h but no improvement has seen yet.
:confused:

Kaz

Babowana_san. Thank you for the advice.
I am currently using 4.7uF and I have 3.3uF and 1uF here now. I�fll try these, hopefully today.
Does this mean to prevent parasitic oscillation of Q3?

And also, thank you for visiting my website.
Recently I am too lazy to update English version.
I also visit your website. It�fs wonderful!

Attached picture is my ZV7R. PSU is separated.
This might be very unusual style.

Kaz

Attachments

• zv7r_1.jpg
    zv7r_1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 96
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.