Zu Dwx

Joined 2010
Paid Member
My current speakers have become the weak link in my system... So I was thinking of the Zu DWX. They get rave reviews and would cost $1,500 to my door. I have all the tools to build a published design and I would surely do so if I could get something comparable for $1,000 or less. Would need to live happily with an Amp Camp amp. MY current speakers are OB Hestias without the woofers and supported by a small sub. They are very good and excellent in the value department.
1000001090.jpg

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I guess what I had in mind was actually a 2 way open baffle, so I started this thread in the wrong forum. No, I have not heard the ZU's, just read some rave reviews. Steve Guttenberg whom I respect liked them very much. Being front ported I figured they would be somewhat flexible in my room. And the high spl also made them attractive. It really all started when I looked at the SLOB Pass thread. ( Slot loaded open baffle ) which employs a full range and two woofers, one of which is facing the floor.

motosapien,

Your diyAudio username looked familiar - I recall you building a Coniston^2 long time back - well Google search found it for me. :)

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/coniston-2-build.175808/

If you are looking for a high efficiency DIY design in 2-way configuration (I mean with woofer support), then large woofer with a tweeter in a waveguide is one of the possible paths.

For DIY projects of a different nature (multiple drivers 2.5 way) the Uluwatu and Elsinore comes to mind - with sensitivity of both being around the 92dB mark, with the Elsinore being probably easier to drive. For most speakers the output impedance of the amplifier is also important - if output impedance is on the higher side that can result in a "wooly" bass.

The ACA will present you with some limitations in terms of choice of speakers, though I am sure you find it enjoyable. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
Where would you cross a Maop 10 on an OB?
Do you think it’d match well with a 15”?

Given that the XO between woofer & midTweter is pretty much dependent on the baffle you use. So (ignoring any EQ) the 2 would have the same XO place and orders. If the XO was actuive you could just slot in either midTweeter and adjust the level to match the woofer.

Martin King’s seminal passive OB article has teh analysis and math. https://quarterwave.com/

As to woofers it depends on the woofers. Quality vrs quantity.

I like push-push woofers so i would consider slot loaded bottom (as popularized by Nelson). A pair of 10s minimum, but dual 12s or 15s would work. X has one were he uses a zillion 6.5” woofers.

Since you are throwing away bass on an OB the morer swept volume you have the lower you can go, but it needs power.

I have one i have ot finish drwing up with 4 x 10”per side.

dave

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Zu DVX claims sensitivity of 95dB...

Probably exaggerated.

How loud do you have to play? I happily uses ACA for a long time on my less sensitive A7.3eN in a large room with no complaints (this was the 5w version, later i got 2 8w versions, bridged sounds better in my system).

And active is a solid suggestion. LXmini XO has teh appropriat eslopes and room for EQ.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
that Zu is crossed to a tweet where the big full range stops behaving.

Ahd high enuff that combing is going to make a mess of the top.

comb-filter-diagramX.gif

if you have dark mode set you may have issues seeing thie above)

And the horn tweeter is likely more lasre beam than a good FR (why you want a smaller one). A10x cone profile and dustcap give them pretty good dispersion.

I’m no fan of OBs (having built more than a few, and heard more of them).

You have to be careful with reflexes, all to many are badly tuned, or go in and out of tuning along with the dynamik changes in T/S parameters.

Enclosures where the cabinet exets more dominant like quarter-wave boxes (from TL thru BLHs).

That same MAOP 10 in a Frugel-Horn XL will go lower than your OB with 15” (althou dyanmics might be a bit more limited), and you have no XO.

All loudspeakers are heavily compromised, thej compromises the Zu makes tham incomparible with me. been there done that.

dave

Leaving OB behind for a reflex box might be hard, if you’ve been enjoying that sound for some time.

If you enjoy the OB sound, maybe upgrading the current drivers/setup to something nicer?

SBA has some nice newish OB woofers from their SBAudience branch, and either their 8” FR, or the MW16 mid which you can find if you need a tweet or not. Else could be nice SS 10F, or Visaton B80.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
motosapien,

Your diyAudio username looked familiar - I recall you building a Coniston^2 long time back - well Google search found it for me. :)

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/coniston-2-build.175808/

If you are looking for a high efficiency DIY design in 2-way configuration (I mean with woofer support), then large woofer with a tweeter in a waveguide is one of the possible paths.

For DIY projects of a different nature (multiple drivers 2.5 way) the Uluwatu and Elsinore comes to mind - with sensitivity of both being around the 92dB mark, with the Elsinore being probably easier to drive. For most speakers the output impedance of the amplifier is also important - if output impedance is on the higher side that can result in a "wooly" bass.

The ACA will present you with some limitations in terms of choice of speakers, though I am sure you find it enjoyable. :)
Boy, that was a trip down memory lane! Seems like a lifetime ago. I do not have the energy for that big a project anymore. Health challenges.....I would consider selling them to someone close by Duluth/Superior or Minneapolis. I will look into those projects you mentioned.