zener diode high performance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody!

I would like to know where i can get high performace zener.

i'm searching for a very low noise zener diode.

As for example Caddock or vishay manufactr not inductive resistors, i would like to know who makes very high quality zener diode.

Hope to receive advice.

Best Regards,
Stefano.

well, as there are high grade resistors, capacitor, bridge rectifier.....and so on..... there are high grade zener.
Those zener have better performances due to a sharper knee and straigther characteristic and lower noise.

The only problem is that i don't know the name of the manufacters that make those components.

Hope somebody can help.

Best,
Stefano.

ok thanks for the advice.

The zeners would go:

as stab on the base of a npn in configuration current sink on the tail of the input differential stage.

The point is that i would like to re-place this part on my amp (electrocompaniet).
As far as i know there is an upgrade available from the company that involves the upgrade of this zeners (and also other parts).

That's why i'm searching zener to go on my amp's board that are higher quality.

as i said i would need a 10V and 6,2V

Ideal in the sense of more constant current source (sink).
The more stable is the zener at the base and less noisy, the more stable will be the current sink and the more linear the differential stage will be.
But i might be wrong.

I just need to know who manufacter higher grade zener diodes.

> Ideal in the sense of more constant current source (sink).

A Zener is a device used to keep the voltage constant under varying load (i.e. it absorbs variations in load current). So unless your load sinks constant current, and you feed it AND the zener with a CCS, the Zener current is not meant to be stable. Or have I missed something ?

> I just need to know who manufacter higher grade zener diodes.

If you have already read the article linked earlier, you will have no doubt notice that the part no. etc of the tested Zeners were mentioned.

Patrick

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Stefanoo said:
Ideal in the sense of more constant current source (sink).
The more stable is the zener at the base and less noisy, the more stable will be the current sink and the more linear the differential stage will be.
But i might be wrong.

I just need to know who manufacter higher grade zener diodes.

There are no high performance zeners in the sense that there are high performance R's and C's. The noise from a zener comes from the fabrication process and cannot be changed by some magic. Also, dynamic impedance (knee) depends on the zener voltage. The higher the zener voltage, the higher the dynamic impedance. There seems to be a minimum dynamic impedance for 6-7V zeners, anything above or below gets worse.

If you need low noise, get a zener, filter it with an R-C and buffer it with a transistor or fet as emitter/source follower. Or get a voltage reference, they are available for lower noise because they use other processes.

Jan Didden

jan has, as usual, nicelly summed it all up.
The added problem with selection is that noise is related to zener voltage in a quite different (you culd almost say oposite) manner. 5-8V zeners are unusually good nosie sources.
Also, thermal gradient changes depending on zener voltage.
So, in other words, you have to select based on what parameters are of greater importance for the application.

zener noise comes from the way a zener operates. the noise comes from the somewhat random random recombination of electrons with carriers within the silicon (the same effect happens in a gas tube regulator when the electrons recombine with the positive ions on the plate of the tube). a higher wattage zener will have a higher juncion capacitance, giving less noise (and the higher wattage rating makes it run cooler, so there is less thermal variation, and less added thermal noise), but a zener is usually also heavily bypassed where noise is an issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.