Zen Version 4 PCB´s Europe Group Buy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to make 4 amplifiers for myself of the Pass Zen Amplifier Version 4 for a small active speaker. :D

The problem is I don´t have a lot of money to build so many projects :bawling:

The Post costs to order them from passdiy from the USA are pretty high so I was thinking if a few people are interested I could order a few more boards making the cost go down and for other people living in Germany and the rest of Europe the Post won´t cost that much because I could send them as a letter.

If anybody is interested please contact me so I can make a list of people and number of boards to order from the pcb company.
Price of the boards really depends on the number but it can really get cheap.

The quality of the boards would be 1,5mm PCB thickness (or 2mm if most people want to) it depends on the price,70um copper thickness (double the normal thickness and this is more important the pcb thickness) , Solder stop on both sides and part print in white on top.

The Pcb layout will be identical to the passdiy pcbs.

Please post for how many pieces you would be interested in so I can get to price from the production company.
the price falls very quickly when the pcb ammount gets over 50 pieces and then again it falls alot when they are more than 100.
I am still waiting for a reply from the manufacturer of the boards for the prices.

It also depends on the quality of the boards.
So please post what you would like to have.
the pcb thickness is normaly 1,5mm but I could order them in 2mm thickness that would be cool to get some massive pcbs.
also the normal thickness of copper is 35um. I dont know what the original passdiy pcbs have but I would say double thicknes would be a must.

I would say we order 70um thickness for lower track resistance and decide on the way for the pcb thickness.

Does anybody know what the copper thickness of the passdiy pcbs have?

I would go for 2mm boards with 70um tracks, plated through holes. I will take at least 4, probably more when I mention this to some DIY friends. As for mods, I don't think very much is to be won, probably hard to beat the man himself;) BTW according to Nelson Pass, the ZenV4 sounds very similar to an Aleph 30:cool: Sweet. This ought to be a popular group buy as the Zen is easy enough to build compared to the A-X. Also, it comes with wonderfull documentation from Pass. Really educating, reading through the pages, building the amp at the same time:)
Regarding the kit,
It would be nice if you could source some of the Irfp044 old version. Not the N version. The rest is fairly common stuff.

Steen.

It´s common stuff I know but when I order the parts only for 4 boards it costs more than when I order for more people. The prices usually fal for numbers of 10 or 100.

For the IRFP044 I have searched all over the place but I can´t find any with the N. They are really hard to get. I think though that the N version could actually be better.
I don´t know which are 100% better.

I also like the idea of 2mm boards with 70um thickness. It costs more in the production than normal boards but I was thinking that in bigger quantities this wouldn´t be important as the price will drop anyway.

What are you planing on building?

This amp of course scalable right?
I could make a couple of 10W amps for active speakers or so, what do you think?

I have never done the Zen and my current project list is more than enough to send me to the mental ward within a year.

As it is very easy to build the Zen with a ready made pcb, and i like such a group buy to be a succesfull one you can count me in for 4 boards too, Promitheus.

(dont expect any building comments from me within 2Y though)
:bawling:

I know what you mean.
I still have unfinished things from last year.
I always tell my friends who also build stuff:

If you had everything ready built what would you do then?
You would have to find a new hobby.

As long as there is something to built and listen to than our hobby goes on. Its fun isnt it?

i hope a lot of others will participate and you'll be able to make this one very succesfull.
Seeing how many European members DIYaudio has there should be much more people getting involved in group buys.

Due to circumstances i have been out of diy audio for a great many years, i have a lot of catching up to do.
Whenever people asked me, i told them lots i still needed to do, no diy audio however. Did i have a great time ? Not really.

All European DIY'ers are highly recommended to order a few boards. This is a great oppertunity to enter the world of single ended Class A. (Or the world of Nelson Pass, if you like:) )
Even if you have no plans of building one right away, you better secure a set of pcb's for yourself. This is the easy, and fairly cheap way to start, down the single ended path. You will probably
'pass' out, when you here it:D :D :D

Steen.

promitheus said:
This amp of course scalable right?
I could make a couple of 10W amps for active speakers or so, what do you think?

Yes, they are easy scalable. I made a couple of Zen revisited and Zen V2's with different bias currents and Vs. My latest V2 I found the heatsinks were too hot (in the summer) so I replaced the bias resistors for lower current and thus less power. Very easy indeed.

I was thinking about building a aleph 30, since I like the power my current gainclone has, but I kinda miss the natural and warm sound my Zen produces...

2mm pcbs with 70um copper would cost 40% more as the normal PCBs with 1,5mm and 35um.
That means that the boards would cost for a small order 30-35 Euro each and the normal ones 25 Euro.
Is that too much?

With a larger order the price should fall under 30Euro for the thick ones

The normal boards would be a lot cheaper but these thicker ones are real cool.

But at least the cost for shipment wont´s be a lot. A few Euro in Europe as a letter with signature.

I have asked a few companies here in Germany but these prices are for an order of 30-50 pieces.

18 Euro for the same board in standard quality is not bad.

The thicker ones cost a lot more because they are a special order.

25 Euro for the thicker ones are also not a bad price for such a small order.

I also bought a few Aleph-X boards for way cheaper but that group buy was for over 1000 Pcbs, I think it was way more maybe even 1500-2000 pcbs.
Thats a whole different story.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.