Zen V5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Placement drawing with correct numbers refering to NP´s schematic.

Attachments

• zenv5placement.jpg
    zenv5placement.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 913
Power??

So to the topic that came up before the doorbell rang (was friend in need of a glass of wine and some music ): This is a set of questions directed to Nelson Pass and Gray Rollins: Comparing the v5 to a Accuphase p300 (modernised modified raised bias etc)playing pretty loud, about realistic level from a grand piano or small acoustic set, the v5 sounds much more powerfull than the much larger p300, especialy the bottom seems very fast and powerfull, the v5 naturally starts compressing and then audibly clipping way before the p300 when raising level towards rock´n roll. So if i want to stay with excellent caracter of the v5 but need more power. (the bridging tried and covered in another thread here, works but is a ***** to adjust and to get staying reasonably close to no DC output). How far could i raise the rail voltage and keep idle current, cooling no problem, around 2 amps or so, whitout killing the output devices during dynamic conditions. Having become adict to the fabulous bottom end of the RCF l12p48 units and also not ready for the negotiations of placing kleinhorns in the livingroom since we discarded the last set of Schmackshorns a few years ago.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wow, Ironic! I was just sitting around after work today, and within the last 2 hours I just threw one channel together, couldn't get it working right. My P3, P4 are 10k, I don't think its enough to bias it up properly. I believe you can raise the rails as you wish, but I would definitely add parallel devices as this design runs the fets pretty hard. As to how many you should add, I'm not quite sure. What voltages for the rails are you aiming for?

-john

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.