Zen v4. wiring problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I'm ready to start wiring my Zen v4 but I' m afraid to damage my amp. Can anyone, please, tell me with a lot of details how to wire my transfs.( primary and secondary). If I'm not wrong red and grey wire goes to rectifier but what happen to yel/blue? and what about blk/wht , brn/orng.

pics.

Attachments

• dsc00036[1].jpg
    dsc00036[1].jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 529
I'm using a recent 750VA Plitron with my Zen V4. The brown and black wires are tied together and connected to AC hot through a thermistor and fuse. The white and orange wires are connected to AC neutral. To wire the secondaries in series tie the blue and yellow wires together; connect the gray and red wires to the AC points on your bridge rectifier. (Mine's using 35V secondaries in parallel so I cannot verify that... please check the documentation).

Kilentra said:
I'm using a recent 750VA Plitron with my Zen V4. The brown and black wires are tied together and connected to AC hot through a thermistor and fuse. The white and orange wires are connected to AC neutral. To wire the secondaries in series tie the blue and yellow wires together; connect the gray and red wires to the AC points on your bridge rectifier. (Mine's using 35V secondaries in parallel so I cannot verify that... please check the documentation).

Where I have to connect blue / yellow? Are there differences in performance to wire the secondaries in series or parallel?Thanks Kilentra for your response.

From the Zen V4 article the Unregulated Power Supply example
shows the secondaries wired in series to double voltage. So you
want to wire in series.

Tie the blue and yellow wires together like Kilentra said. They
don't connect anywhere else. Just insulate them to make sure
they don't short to the chasis.

I reccomend reading the Balanced Line Stage article where
Mr. Pass gives directions for wiring up 2 transformers to one
AC supply. The colors may not be the same, but it'll give you an
idea how to do it.

:att'n: If still unsure, find an electrition or someone very
experienced to walk you through it. Your dealing with
potentially leathel voltages and should know exactly what
you're doing to be safe.:att'n:

To wire the secondaries in series you need to tie the blue and yellow (opposite ends of the secondaries) together. In my amp, the gray and yellow are tied together at one end of the bridge, and the red and blue are at the other. The difference is that series connection gives you the sum of the secondary voltages (2x18v in your case) and parallel connection gives you just one secondary's voltage, but with twice the current capability (35v in my case).

wiring problems

Hi Kilentra, thanks again for your response. Talking about primaries I assume the input of first transformer is wired in parallel with primaries of the second one: blk+blk+brn+brn connected to the cold side of AC line and wht+wht+orn+orn to hot side of AC line. Another question , do I need other bridge rectifier( already have two for each channel) but I saw a post from another guy using one bridge rectifier for ground.

That wiring arrangement should work fine. Pass suggests isolating the grounds of the two channels by connecting them to opposite sides of a bridge rectifier. That's a wonderful idea, but I forgot to try it; my amp works fine anyway. If you have ground loop problems, connecting the grounds through the extra bridge might help.

Hello guys , I need you help ! I'm building a Zen v.4 with two trans. I'm connecting secondaries in series yellow+blue together and red+gray to bridge rectifier for each trans or channel and for the primaries Am connecting both trans. in parallel : black+black+brown+brown that were connected to cold side of AC line and orange+orange+white+white to hot side of AC line, my questions are:1- Do I need another thermistor or because I'm wiring in parallel just need only one like the schematic said?2- If you look at the schematic specifically AC line connector, which one is the hot side? Do I need another bridge rectifier? and 3- the cap that I got (.1uf) is a very tiny one, is it wrong? please give me all the advise that you can. thanks in advance. Rommel

Piltron

You only need one thermistor.
Secondaries: Red and Grey go to the AC connections of the bridge.Yellow and blue are tied together and insulated.
Plus side of the rectifier to plus side of caps, Negitive side to ground.
If you are still having problems let me know.
Check the voltage rating on the .1 uf. cap. If you don't think it is high enough don't put it in. :nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.