Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

Bias point drift?

I have been some kind of "bias drifting"
With a senoidal signal of 1kHz, output is clean an undistorted in the first minute.
After 1st minute, negative half-wave becomes clipped.
If signal is square, 1kHz, no clipping.
If signal is senoidal, 40 kHz, no clipping.

If turn-off some time, 1kHz senoidal is unclipped again 1st minute.

I have fed the circuit with batteries and a regulated psu too. Results are the same independently of what PSU you use.

I believe that the capacitors are responsible for some kind of drift when they get charged, but not sure.

I have been some kind of "bias drifting"
With a senoidal signal of 1kHz, output is clean an undistorted in the first minute.
After 1st minute, negative half-wave becomes clipped.
If signal is square, 1kHz, no clipping.
If signal is senoidal, 40 kHz, no clipping.

If turn-off some time, 1kHz senoidal is unclipped again 1st minute.

I have fed the circuit with batteries and a regulated psu too. Results are the same independently of what PSU you use.

I believe that the capacitors are responsible for some kind of drift when they get charged, but not sure.

Your absolutely right, i had the same problem with some other russian film caps. But then i switch to Nichicon Muse caps and had almost no detectable DC leakage. - Nothing i could detect with my basic equipment anyway.

Last edited:
Your "drift" is very likely due to leakage in your capacitors.

Patrick

I have tested today two new type of caps:

Polarized Elna Silmic
Bipolar Nitai electrolityc

Polarized cap ended with a great clipping.
Bipolar Nitai don't

I will try Nichicon Muse next days.

I have measured harmonic distortion with the Nitai's and found 2nd harmonic below 30 dB of fundamental with only 0,2Vrms of signal (18V psu) :eek::eek:

Probably i will get some litycs of low leakage for testing

Hi All

after long trial i finished my output stage of my Copland
It have CEN for I/V and Gherard Buffer for LPF

For Cen i choose Wima MKS 10uF for decoupling Cap and Texas Tx2352 for resistor I/V

The sound it's wonderful, grainfree and very clear, never heard CD's sound so well
So, Patrick, THANK YOU!!

url]