Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

John, did you put 1R between the voltage-output and circuit, or did you put 1R on both v-output (+F) and gnd-out (+O) (ok, it's not really ground since the circuit is floating, but you understand where i mean).
I'm doing a custom SSLV-PCB right now which sig two circuits per board, which i will us - so it would be great to know before i send to manufacturing. :)

Thanks alot, i'm making compact SSLV1.1 PCB's which is same size as the originals, but with two regulators on each board (since it will be low current here), and also included is common mode chokes 100mH. And i will make them as you run them right now - only two wire output, and a dedicated place for the output resistor, which you can bridge if you don't need it.

I'm setting together a list of components that i will order from mouser for my SEN-board, and i have room for one 10mm Electrolytic cap, and one small film cap.

I will use 150R R-iv resistor, and i started thinking - what would be better using, Muse ES 220u Bi-polar (-3dB @ 9.64Hz) vs Elna Silmic II 220u polarized (4.82Hz)? Also, would it for me be better to bypass it with a 4.7uF film (225Hz) rather than 1uF (~1KHz)?

In the first question i would think bi-polar would be better, because it pretty much wouldn't cut anything at 20Hz, but this is just my guess. but at my other question - Would there be any downside in the higher frequencies by choosing the larger bypass cap?

Last edited:
I'm setting together a list of components that i will order from mouser for my SEN-board, and i have room for one 10mm Electrolytic cap, and one small film cap.

I will use 150R R-iv resistor, and i started thinking - what would be better using, Muse ES 220u Bi-polar (-3dB @ 9.64Hz) vs Elna Silmic II 220u polarized (4.82Hz)? Also, would it for me be better to bypass it with a 4.7uF film (225Hz) rather than 1uF (~1KHz)?

In the first question i would think bi-polar would be better, because it pretty much wouldn't cut anything at 20Hz, but this is just my guess. but at my other question - Would there be any downside in the higher frequencies by choosing the larger bypass cap?

what Is your dac - why you will use low value R- IV resistor with Sen - does lower value decrease distortion with that circuit - Isn't recomended 1.5K for pcm63 and around 2K for pcm1704

what Is your dac - why you will use low value R- IV resistor with Sen - does lower value decrease distortion with that circuit - Isn't recomended 1.5K for pcm63 and around 2K for pcm1704

I will run it with ES9018 and three pairs of 2SK369V per phase. Since output of the dac is approx 8mA, and i have differential line-stage with 6dB gain per phase thereafter i will have enough gain for shure. My Pass X250 is full power at approx 1.5Vrms.
And as i have understand from the article (without having built the circuit myself) then yes distortion seems to be less with a smaller R-IV. But this maybe Patrick can clear out for us even better.
If i want higher gain, i still think 200R will be enough for my case.

Last edited:
In article I can not see that lower R IV brings lower distortion
It Is said that can be used 500 - 2.7 K
I have read that when doing passive I/V It Is Important to have lower valuse If using pcm63 which has protection diodes but like to know how Is the case when using active stage - does lowering 1.5 K brings sound Improvement

You cannot compare lowering gain of the SEN cirucuit with lowering R-IV at the output of a DAC. That you should rather compare input impedance of SEN.
But lets go back to the circuit, according to Patricks article i find this:

The Zen IV is the original circuit as published, and the Cen IV has a Riv of 500R for the same transimpedance gainas the Zen. The results are somewhat
surprising. For a current input signal of +/-1mA, 1kHz sine, THD is 0.000257% for Zen, and 0.000066% for Cen.

And later down the same text you'll find the following:

Using Riv of 2.7k in the Cen circuit, THD is 0.0019% at 1kHz.

So, when i read it i at least take it as with Riv=2.7k THD 0.0019%, and with Riv=500R THD 0.000066%
And this is even with the Cen circuit, which by default does have a bit higher THD than SEN. But then again, it's possible that lowering the Riv even more pretty much wouldn't do anything for THD.

I wonder if Patrick have done any measurements with lower Riv than 500R?

Huge Hum

I have build a Sen I/V with a PCM1704 nos DAC.
I have two different power supplies, one for PCM1704 and other (floating) for Sen I/V.

DAC and Sen IV works fine, but there is a big hum noise.

I have experimented with and find:

1) Switching off the power don't remove hum !!
2) Disconnecting the DAC to Sen connections and noise don't changes.
3) Unplugging the USB does lower noise
4) Unplugging the power cord kills completely the noise.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I have build a Sen I/V with a PCM1704 nos DAC.
I have two different power supplies, one for PCM1704 and other (floating) for Sen I/V.

DAC and Sen IV works fine, but there is a big hum noise.

I have experimented with and find:

1) Switching off the power don't remove hum !!
2) Disconnecting the DAC to Sen connections and noise don't changes.
3) Unplugging the USB does lower noise
4) Unplugging the power cord kills completely the noise.
Is the hum at the mains frequency precisely?

Attachments

• hum.JPG
    hum.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 700
Try two separate R-Core each one 18V for one channel of SEN.

But perhaps before you try that, buy 4x 9V batteries and enjoy the music first.
At least you would have more motivation to sort out your 50Hz problem.
And it is obvious where it comes from.

The rest has been discussed here often enough.

Patrick

I see.

It seems that Interwinding Capacitance in power transformer is a major issue here.

I would try with EI transformer, or perhaps a Faraday Shielded one.

Another solution could be a Common-Mode filtering in the 0-18V DC power-line

I never had suffered this problem before, nor have used a Floating PSU. I suppose that floating PSU of Sen IV is specially sensible to hum induction.. is it?

On the other hand, I meanwhile clarifying my ideas with your invaluable help and support :)

Regards,
Luis.

Hi Luis,

I've got a total of four R core transformers each one feeding a separate SEN channel via choke regulation, RCRC filters and then Salas Regulators. There is still some very low level hum getting through which is only noticable during low level (late night) listening which I am trying to get rid of.

Yesterday I fitted four 39mH 0.9 ohm common mode chokes just before the final 6800uF capacitor in the filtering. This had absolutely no effect on the (very low) level of mains hum which surprised me a little as the cut off frequency is 10Hz so I would have expected 100Hz to be attenuated by 40dB or so. However there was an unexpected and quite pronounced sound quality improvement to mid range and treble detail and imaging.

I am planning to try an isolation transformer in the feed to all 4 of the R Cores to see if that allows them to float free of the earth reference. I'll post here on its effect.

John

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Hi Luis,

I've got a total of four R core transformers each one feeding a separate SEN channel via choke regulation, RCRC filters and then Salas Regulators. There is still some very low level hum getting through which is only noticable during low level (late night) listening which I am trying to get rid of.

Yesterday I fitted four 39mH 0.9 ohm common mode chokes just before the final 6800uF capacitor in the filtering. This had absolutely no effect on the (very low) level of mains hum which surprised me a little as the cut off frequency is 10Hz so I would have expected 100Hz to be attenuated by 40dB or so. However there was an unexpected and quite pronounced sound quality improvement to mid range and treble detail and imaging.

I am planning to try an isolation transformer in the feed to all 4 of the R Cores to see if that allows them to float free of the earth reference. I'll post here on its effect.

John
Another experiment that can be illuminating in disentangling electric field effects from magnetic ones: get a little E-I core transformer and energize its primary from your mains. Leave the secondaries open. Use it as a stimulus probe and move it about your circuit.

Hi Luis,

John

Have you try to put the chokes in the output of your DC line, i.e. between PSU and Sen IV?