ZAPpulse 2.3SE vs. 700XE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lars Clausen said:
My opinion is that if you can lower the THD by removing the 'problems' and unlinearities in the signal chain, then it's a good thing.

If you can only do it by adding more feedback, then it's a bad thing, even if you end up getting better THD specs.

All the best from

Lars Clausen

(Still (slightly) present in the audio industry) ;)

Hi Lars Clausen,

Then its useless to say that Lower THD figures has something to tell about sound quality..If yes, then why are most people go for lowering the THD to improve sound or they simply want to improve something else...lets say the specs sheet or a product datasheet...figures...

please do reply....

thanks,
K a n w a r

Kanwar: Thank You for this question. I think it's a very good question!

I think the explanation to this seemingly irrational situation is that if you look at it one dimensionally - like better / worse sound - then you are right, it doesnt make any sense.

But i think you have to look at it with more variables. An amplifier can have better resolution, dynamics, clarity, soundstage etc.
Resolution and clarity are both related to low THD. But dynamics and soundstage are more related to feedback topology and factor.
So if you can get better resolution and clarity without sacrificing soundstage and dynamics, then this is what you want to pursue. But if you have to sacrifice dynamics, to get low THD and thus a better clarity, then you must weigh the two against each other.
And in my opinion dynamics and soundtage wins most points.

But in the new designs it was possible to find a way to get both, so now having both low THD and good dynamics.

All the best from

Lars

Lars Clausen said:
Chris: :D good one!

No what i mean in technical terms is that removing the deadtime distortion, negates the need for high (dynamics damaging) feedback loopgain. And thus you can get good THD specs, with the same low level of feedback loopgain, preserving the good dynamics. :cool:

Sounds like the digital version of class AB concerns.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.