Zaph ZRT 2.5 sealed opinions?

Hey Folks, I'm thinking about going for this build, being a happy user of ZD5 for years. I was thinking about 2.5 sealed, so looking for some opinions from people who built this specific variant, if any. My room is fairly small, so having 68L monster with double vents might be an overkill. I also ran into this thread which now bothers me:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/zaph-madisound-zrt-2-5-problem.311454/

IMG_7303.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
NIce looking cabinet. (y)

You should measure it to be sure what is going on. And if you did closed box instead of bas reflex you will need to adjust, becuse balance low - high frequencies is for sure not the same....and also depends a lot on the room...
Thanks - yes, it's sealed. I will probably need to move to 6ohm eventually, but with 5ohm is already much better. 2.2ohm was simply not listenable.

Attachments

• ZRT-2.5way-crossover.gif
    ZRT-2.5way-crossover.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 108
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi,

If you had the roten cone leads, it is maybe time to avoid Revelators seeming to age not well ! There was a thread here about that. Also a part of their production is pehaps comming from asia nowadays ?

Did Madisound give you back the monney or exchanged the unit ?

My Revelator is new. I sounded Madisound out that this Scanspeak W18 Revelator is very far out of spec.
I even told them that I'm open to a woofer replacement or ship me a Seas.
I will be happy to pay the extra cost if my selection is more expensive than the Revelator.

Instead of addressing my concerns, their customer service by the name of Brian, started to BS me.
Basically, he implied that I don't know how to measure T/S.
Even went to the extent that Scanspeak measures their T/S differently.

After two rounds of correspondence, I told this idiot off.
Maybe he taught I was a newbie that he can twist his fingers around.

I made it clear that I've been working on audio for the last 25yrs, full time, day in day out.
I know a thing or two about Thiele & Small measurements.

I have commissioned factories before to manufacture woofers for me.
They use LMS by Linear-X to measure Thiele & Small parameters.
For the record, I don't only have DATS.
I own the same LMS by Linear-X, which is the industry standard.
More than that, I have Audio Precision too.

These are the discrepancies in my Revelator.

SCANSPEAK 18W_TS.gif

And here are my DATS measurements
SCANSPEAK 18W_TS_DATS.gif

Note Scanspeak Qts of 0.35. This is the main reason why I spend so much for a woofer.
When I measured with my DATS, the Qts was 0.7. And that was after 24hrs of breaking in.
A 100% deviation? I can get a woofer of Qts=0.7 for less than $30.

What do I expect?

Here is a Scanspeak PL18 that I own. Below is T/S from Scanspeak datasheet.
Qts=0.34

SS-PL18_TS.gif

This is from my DATS.
Qts=0.34

SS_PL18_TS_DATS.gif

So what is all this BS about Scanspeak measuring their T/S differently.

Since this is the kind of shabby customer service from Madisound, here is my post about my experience with Madisound and this Scanspeak Revelator.

I must state that I am not an "influencer". I don't accept payments from anyone.
If it's good, it's good. If it's bad, it's bad.
I don't sugar-coat anything because I'm not indebted to anyone.

Mike
AmpsLab-Spk

Attachments

• SCANSPEAK 18W_TS_DATS.gif
    SCANSPEAK 18W_TS_DATS.gif
    32 KB · Views: 31
  • SCANSPEAK 18W_TS.gif
    SCANSPEAK 18W_TS.gif
    23.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Incredible, as a french I always trusted with confidence how are working american merchands. Seems Madisound doesn't who you are; as a french diyer I know your name as a respectable aknowledged contributor and find their attitude to be a a pity ! Time to move to Part-Express and maybe for Wavecore ( a pity Peereless is giving up retail for diyers with the good silver serie NE line).

@zdr : I find the finish of the cabinet to be premium ! kudos for that piano white and wood work.

True but you did spend a ton of money based on their kit and writeup.
And I believe you even adopted their crossover design.
What you should get is happiness, not grief.

Mike
AmpsLab-Spk
I assembled everything based on Zaph's site - I trusted it because I am a happy user of ZD5. Are you saying Madisound is behind it? I expected ZRT to be an upgrade for ZD5, it turns out to be the opposite so far. I will give it a week of burn in before making a final decision, unless you also have measurements for my woofers that I could use to return them to soundimports.eu.

Incredible, as a french I always trusted with confidence how are working american merchands. Seems Madisound doesn't who you are; as a french diyer I know your name as a respectable aknowledged contributor and find their attitude to be a a pity ! Time to move to Part-Express and maybe for Wavecore ( a pity Peereless is giving up retail for diyers with the good silver serie NE line).

@zdr : I find the finish of the cabinet to be premium ! kudos for that piano white and wood work.
I can vouch for Wavecor. I know Allan Isaksen personally. He's Wavecor's founder.

The first time we met was sometime in the 90s when he was in charge of Vifa's International Sales & Marketing.
My first impression was a very talented engineer, yet humble and unassuming guy.
He has come a long way since.

I have his Wavecor WF182BD03 7" woofer and the TW030WA12 tweeter.
The Wavecor products reflect his design philosophy.
He knows exactly what he wants and he does not compromise.
A rare individual in today's world.
I wish him all the best.

When I start manufacturing in the coming years, I am looking at Wavcor for my high-end line.
For the average loudspeakers, I will likely use Parts Express or source direct from a manufacturer in China or Taiwan.

Mike
AmpsLab-Spk