Zaph Has A New Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building the ZDT3. All the parts came in last week. I've got to purchase the MDF, but everything else is sitting in my basement taunting me. The hardest part is going to be finding the time to to actually build them.

Me too. I bought the original pair of baffles that Zaph made, through ebay. Went with Dayton poly caps for the larger values as well as four 2" PSP ports. Can't wait to get them built but like you said, finding the time is the hard part.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
This taken from Zaph's Jan 29th Blog entry:

I think the stupidest "HT" installation I've ever seen is a 20" CRT with a big MTM sitting horizontally on top of it, hanging over the edges. It gets worse - the huge center channel wasn't even touching the TV, it was resting on the corners of left and right MTM speakers placed next to the TV. And to make matters worse, this system was in some sort of closet with swing-out doors. When the doors were open, they would stick straight out, for probably the worst early reflection situation possible. The cherry on the cake of this story is that the speakers were DIY jobs. Looked like some Dayton D3's or something. Now, I can excuse the general public for doing something like that with their store bought "HT" system because most of the time they don't know any better or just don't care. But DIY'ers should know better. If I ever see a DIY'er do that with one of my designs, I promise to delete my entire website.

:D

I think I might do just that and call his bluff.

ZDT3 Using the Madisound MD38T

I posted this on another forum and it didn't seem to excite anyone.

Madisound sells a 38 liter cabinet called the MD38T. It is 9 x 38 x 11. 38 liters is 1.34 cuft.

The ZDT3 enclosure is 2 x 0.69 cuft = 1.38 cuft total. The ZDT3 enclosure is 9 x 40.25 x 11 without the base block.

So basically the cabinets from Madisound are almost, if not a perfect fit for the ZDT3 (and Waveguide TMM for that matter). It would cost $402 for the cabinets from Madisound, but you can save a ton of time and work and end up with the ZDT3.

If the tweeter height was a problem due to the slightly shorter cabinet, you could always build a simple base block to raise the speaker slightly. Anyone see anything wrong with my line of thinking?

I built the ZDT3 and I think my cabinets look better than if I used the pre-built ones from Madisound, but for the ease of construction the MD38T would be hard to beat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.