Your least favorite amp to work on and why.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had Crown CE2000 and it was hard to work on. I needed a pair of Surgical lupe ( microscope) to work on. But it was OK because I had schematics.

I thought Crown CE2000 was most difficult amp to work on until I got Mark Levinson 331. First of all it is too heavy ( 100lb) and need to disassemble completely to see inside and no schematics available. It's got a too many parts ( Does it need that many parts ? really?) Now I am stuck at the logic part of amp control board. My next amp to work on? Audio Research D-100. Hopefully, it does not have problem with modules..

one of my pet hates over the years is the cs1000x amps due to the fact you have to strip it to bits in order to get to its under channel and then sit for hours going over each point to point part on the pbc as there is no ref markings.
Next is smds amps when they've blown up not very serviceable amps and most of the time you end up junking them in the end.

One more when it comes to repairs etc...when your asked to save some poor amp that's been passed about from tom dick and harry who's made a right dogs dinner of it and you spend the next few weeks solving all the faults to get to the main reason why it failed in the first place.

We've all been here at some point over the years....

One more when it comes to repairs etc...when your asked to save some poor amp that's been passed about from tom dick and harry who's made a right dogs dinner of it and you spend the next few weeks solving all the faults to get to the main reason why it failed in the first place.

I bought an old 50 watt Maplin amplifier module that wasnt working and had a few transistors missing.
I replaced the transistors and it worked but with huge amounts of distortion.
All the transistors tested fine and all the other discrete components.
I then checked the transistors in my meter transistor tester and one was a pnp when it should have been an npn. There was no marking in the transistor so I had no idea what it was.

I put in the correct transistor and it burst into life.

Yes indeed. I tend to turn away amps that anyone else has already had a go at these days...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.