Your favorite SUBWOOFER drivers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm curious to know the diyaudio member's favorite subs :)

(for people who ''believes'' in subwoofer, of course...) :p

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the "believes" in subwoofer thing, what's to believe? Use it or don't, depends on what your trying to accomplish.
And you're not providing enough info, kind of like asking "What's your favorite transistor?" Is it for stereo, home theater, PA, what? Do you want a nice sounding sub to enhance the listening experience, or something to shake the foundation of your neighbor's home? You need to provide context.

Mike

Context is in a multi-way speaker system. I don't see what other explanation is needed here: a subwoofer driver is a subwoofer driver... A transducer capable of reproducting sub-woofer frequencies...

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the "believes" in subwoofer thing, what's to believe?

Well, i know few people that just don't consider the sub frequencies important or even needed.

Also, few people consider a simple woofer as more than capable of reproducing decent ''bass''...

Context is in a multi-way speaker system. I don't see what other explanation is needed here: a subwoofer driver is a subwoofer driver... A transducer capable of reproducting sub-woofer frequencies...

Well, i know few people that just don't consider the sub frequencies important or even needed.

Also, few people consider a simple woofer as more than capable of reproducing decent ''bass''...

Please re-read my post, I was asking specific questions about what your after. A subwoofer that has super low frequency capabilities might not have flat response or might do so at elevated distortion levels. Does box size matter, some that do amazing things might need an gigantic enclosure. How low do you want it to go? What about efficiency? Do you have limited power for driving it, or do you have a mega amp you plan to use? I could go on and on, like I said, you need to provide context before anyone can give you answers, there's no such thing as a "best" one size fits all subwoofer.

Mike

Favorite vs. Best

@ Mike Bean: Hey, (take a deep breath) - I just want to point out that the o.p. didn't actually use the word "best"; I think he's merely wondering what peoples' "favorite" subwoofer drivers are.

Myself - I guess I'd fall into the non-believer category by default, only because I haven't taken that step yet. I do recall a long time ago, on something called "the Bass List", there was a subwoofer driver spec'd. by group consensus that went on to be manufactured and offered to said members. It had the designation "Shiva", and sounded like a formidable performer. Sadly, I wasn't in a position to acquire one. Anybody here have one or know about it?
Wilf

OK, for example my current "subs" are 6-1/2 inch Peerless drivers designed to be used in a bass reflex box, but mounted in a sealed box and Linkwitz transformed for Fc of 40 Hz @ Q=.5, they sound really good for near-field listening and are totally useless for filling a large room with earth shaking bass.
Like I said, not enough info provided to give a good answer.

Mike

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Favourite is easy as they are the ones I have and which I'm using until I can afford "Real" subwoofer drivers.
CerwinVega Vega 124 and 154 followed by the old style Kicker EX15
Eventually I want something that can do 16 Hertz but for the moment 30Hz will do

I guess I am one who "believes" in subwoofers. I have Genesis 900 servo subs, Nelson Reed 1204 subs (a pair), and I have twin Goldwood 18 inch slot loaded open baffle subs. For music I prefer the Goldwood's. For movies I prefer the Genesis servo's. I don't consider any of these to be the very best but it is what I have. If I were to start from scratch I think I would start with the Rythmik servo subs if it had to be something portable and flank two near the main speakers and one with a change of phase on the back wall. Of course getting it right is part of the process. For that I like to listen to piano and try to match the sense of the instruments body with the strike of the notes, no overhang or delays. I firmly believe that no system will convey the right sense of realism and recreation of recorded space without the low end. Which does not mean I can't enjoy it anyway. Hey I rock out on long drives all the time!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Raising a cup of tea

Hi,

LAB12 in circa 100L tuned to circa 20Hz is impressive.

rgds, sreten.

Yep, spotted that as a perfect B~4 driver a few years back. Best served up in multiples.

I have noticed a trend here lately; that is, loss of the definition of a sub-woofer.

To be used UNDER where a (normal?) woofer's range can cover. IE the lowest,
or "bottom" octave. 20hz extension.

Sounding best with a HUGE (or at least very large) volume of air to breath into.
Maybe a re-visit to the INFINITE BAFFLE ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.