Your favorite binding posts?

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I don't believe in "sound quality" of any fancy binding posts, but fancyness is of course a valuable aspect. As I can't afford parts like WBT, Furutech, Cardas etc. I went the cheap route and use lab-equipment.
Paired with these

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-17 um 07.57.19.png

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-17 um 08.00.57.png

Last edited by a moderator:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Seems that has been forgotten.
Even 1950s terminal strips had an anti-rotation feature for open lugs.

Scottmosse mentioned those early on. never liked using them (you can’t use dual ponomas with them), but they are effective.

Fine if the speaker wire isn’t overkill, and you keep everything in place. We had some with those connecters in the early days, really difficult to quickly swap things about.

dave

Scottmosse mentioned those early on. never liked using them (you can’t use dual ponomas with them), but they are effective.
Fine if the speaker wire isn’t overkill, and you keep everything in place. We had some with those connecters in the early days, really difficult to quickly swap things about.
dave

When using these terminals, you can tin the speaker wire so it won't splay out when tightening down.
Wire should go around the screw CW. Just shape the wire into a U, and loop it over the screw to the right
of the flange (if the flange is on the bottom).

Reactions: 1 user
About speakON connectors:

Already talked about it in the past and although I don't use them, I like them, but it seems to me that no one ever says that they are suitable for cables with a diameter up to 16 mm for the 4-pin type, for the 2-pin type the max D is mm 14.
This may be decisive for some DIYer.

Furthermore it's useful to point out that for the female connector you need to make a 24 mm diameter hole on the amp case and on the loudspeakers board, and it's not exactly comfortable and it needs to be highlighted. IMO

Also, may be I'm wrong, but how come I don't remember ever seeing them mounted in DIY amplifiers and DIY speakers?
On second thought, not even in commercial amplifiers: how come?

Just sayin'...

Last edited:
I know what you mean and your witty statement made me smile because I consider it quite true in many cases.
However, in this specified case I think that speakON value is most of all about safety usage just because it seems almost impossible a short circuit.
However they are rather bulky connectors.
Perhaps their greatest use is in the professional field, but this is just a guess of which I'm not sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course: that's called "added value", and it applies to any goods.
And it's NOT marketing at all, it's just the pleasure of using your money as you like.
it doesn't matter if the object costs 20/30 times its raw value, because it has become a "different" pleasure to purchase it.

Many people buy even a 200,000 bucks car just for how it looks, and not for its mechanical performance or the technology behind it.
Because that is taken for granted.
And therefore itself becomes a postulate.

Yet no one writes on automotive forums that buying a $200,000 car is idiotic. :geek:

Also, may be I'm wrong, but how come I don't remember ever seeing them mounted in DIY amplifiers and DIY speakers?
On second thought, not even in commercial amplifiers: how come?

Just sayin'...
I use Speakons to connect the external HV and filament power supply to my preamp/DAC, and to connect the 10V/10A filament supply to my 833C mono amps.
So now you can say you've seen them in DIY...

Attachments

• 26 Preamp and PS.jpg
    26 Preamp and PS.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 833C Amp.jpg
    833C Amp.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20240419_083411_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240419_083411_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 44