yet another Mini-A layout... (with SMD parts)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Here is the sine wave response that I got at 1khz.. looks pretty normal. The clipping (not shown), was nice and symmetrical.

--
Brian

Attachments

• mini-4.jpg
    mini-4.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 779
Joined 2002
Here is the DC offset that I got from the amplifier. I didn't match any components on the board, as this was just an initial exercise to see if using SMD components.

Is this high for a Mini-A in terms of DC offset?

As for now, I am running this unit at 15v rails, and it draws approximately 1A from the power supply ;) It is interesting to see a constant current draw, even without an input attached. I had previously only tested gainclones and leach amps on the setup, where the current draw varies with the input voltage.

--
Brian

Attachments

• mini-5.jpg
    mini-5.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 746
Joined 2002
I have already gotten a couple of requests for pcbs :D

I only made a couple of boards for this, stuffing the layout on some spare space on my CD-PRO2 prototype boards.

If there is enough interest, I do a board run. I didn't feel that enough people would want to do SMD boards, since it requires more patience to solder the boards, and there is less choice for exotic components.

Also, I can provide the gerber files if anyone wants to get their own boards made, or do a group order (not-for-profit, non-commerical use only)

Here is a picture of the layout for the pcb that I got made. You can see the Mini-A in the middle (2"x3" size)

--
Brian

Attachments

• pcb2.gif
    pcb2.gif
    85.8 KB · Views: 758
Brian,
Count me in for at least a half dozens sets of boards! Thats a really nice clean layout. I finished my Mini a while back and it had similar ringing. Try a .047 or thereabouts across the MPSA18 in the constant current source. That tok care of 95% of the ringing in mine...now just a slight overshoot. I'd be curious to hear from Nelson or Grey about what causes this ringing and overshoot. Its not audible as I couldn't hear any difference with or without the .047 in there. Miine is running both channels from a single 320 VA tranny at plus and minus 16 volts DC using a single 120,000 mfd Panasonic cap per rail.

A couple of weeks ago I tore my Mini apart to inboard the power supply which had been layiong next to it. I just finished up the extra work on the chassisc and got it running again tonight. This time I wired it up with 18 ga silver plated stranded OFC wire which made a HUGE difference in the high end and sound stage!!

Mark

Joined 2002
Forte said:
If you do so,
------------------------------------------------
I am also considering running a 2 pairs of parallel output devices instead
------------------------------------------------

it will not an "mini-A"
should be an "small-A"
:D

4 devices essentially makes it an Aleph 5 - 30w amplifier...

(3d rendering from the board layout software)

--
Brian

Attachments

• smd-aleph5.gif
    smd-aleph5.gif
    54.2 KB · Views: 352
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.