Yet another Guitar amp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Please consider to move this thread to "musical instruments" thread
Will be easier to find
And it might be on front page for much longer

If the ESP preamp is good, maybe this new "41hz" classD could be used
http://www.41hz.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=45

But now I may be like the "newbies" who ask, "hey, I want to build a super highend speaker, how do I choose drivers" :tongue:

Eh, sounds like the "41hz" amp7 might be used, but the ESP preamp not, hmm

Last edited:
The Face Plate is Aluminum , it is 6 in x 19 in , so the Box is going to be 17 wide 12 deep and 6 high , the metal shop were I live quoted me $30 for the Stainless steel sides and Top , gonna use a steel bottom and aluminum back to affix the heatsinks ....

Cheers

So you are using an inverted U-shape as the side-top-side of the enclosure with a separate bottom and a separate back? How are you going to put all this together? And why not use aluminium bottom so it is easier to drill into and mount components? Or are you going to have a false aluminium bottom?

Thanks again :)

That is my homemade circle cutting jig:

View attachment 142207

The plywood is cheap 3/4 inch sheathing. I ran it through my thickness planer then lots of sanding to make it smooth.

Ah I think I see, you drill a pilot hole at the middle and then attach the jig with its screw and secure with the butterfly nut.

I used jigsaw for everything. I also have a table saw and a chop-saw, but never the less I used the jigsaw for 90% of cuts. And it does not come out good when you use the jigsaw.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The jig has a 1/8" pivot pin (circled in red in photo).

IM001459.JPG

I just drill a 1/8" hole in the centre, put the jig in place and set the diameter using the scale on the jig. Very fast and convenient.
Nothing wrong with using the jigsaw, just this is faster and more accurate - no laying out the circle before the cut.

I have changed my mind on the preamp and I'm now going with a discrete design. See here for details.

So you are using an inverted U-shape as the side-top-side of the enclosure with a separate bottom and a separate back? How are you going to put all this together? And why not use aluminium bottom so it is easier to drill into and mount components? Or are you going to have a false aluminium bottom?

Hi , yes , gonna have a U shaped Top and Sides and I am going to join the Top/sides , front ,back and Bottom with small L Brackets , I got these ones that are threaded and come with little bolts that fit them .......

I was going to use a Steel bottom because it is a Lot cheaper ($5 compared to $15 for Aluminum) and I used a steel faceplate before and I didn"t have much problem drilling through it but I might still splurge for aluminum depending on my cash flow at the time , hell I might even use a wodden bottom as it would make it easier to affix everything together ...... I"ll probably make sure everything or at least the preamps and equalizer work before I get the rest of the enclosure it will probably be month before it is finnished as time is a comodity I don"t have much off......

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.