Yet another ESL57 rebuild

Do anyone of you know if its possible to buy a replacement transformer for the powersupply. Anything marked Sec 600-610VAC 0,5A? I can see OneThing Audio sell a complete unit with PCB mounted trannie... I cant really find any.
And a pic of my own designed EHT-board

Attachments

• New EHT unit PCB.PNG
    New EHT unit PCB.PNG
    21.7 KB · Views: 116
More progress. I have done more testing both with music (vinyl) and also frequency responce with good result. You can see the responce from before refurb and here comes after. Im most happy about the almost mirror like diff between speakers. Also some assembling at the new EHT-boars.
And also a test video when playing real music. Just for the feeling :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XK4S8pFIJUKQtKpQxQaSX0pP7LUNG8Mg/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

• Assembling EHT board.JPG
    Assembling EHT board.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Back damping ESL.JPG
    Back damping ESL.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Backside with felt.JPG
    Backside with felt.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 153
  • frontside damping material.JPG
    frontside damping material.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Nice and clean backside.JPG
    Nice and clean backside.JPG
    353.9 KB · Views: 149
  • measuring frequency responce.JPG
    measuring frequency responce.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Phono vinyl testing.JPG
    Phono vinyl testing.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Full refurb measurement after.PNG
    Full refurb measurement after.PNG
    68.2 KB · Views: 198
Reactions: 2 users
Im currently working on another pair of ESLs. They got arced treble cell. A early pair form 1960 and 61. Will be ready soon for some new music.

Attachments

• powersupp upp fån sida.JPG
    powersupp upp fån sida.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 2 färdiga EHT.JPG
    2 färdiga EHT.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Old style audio transformers.JPG
    Old style audio transformers.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 116
  • färdiga skyddskretsar.JPG
    färdiga skyddskretsar.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 119
  • Boring job.JPG
    Boring job.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Arced treble panel.JPG
    Arced treble panel.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Treble panels ready for a test run.JPG
    Treble panels ready for a test run.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 127
I did some testing with different caps in EHT unit. And it did not work well with the small ceramic disc caps (the bigger ones were okej) i had on hand. But my question was if they were to small to hold charge in the multiplier. Was not able to meaure them, the gigaohm-probe did load them too much. So I set it with paralell and series to get same capacitance and better voltage handling and then now they seem to work just fine.
Result is alot of caps but I have a big bag of them at hand.
I also see a lot of EHT-DIY boards out there. With separate multiliers for bass and treble and also flashing neon bulbs. Good handy gadgets but do any of them really inprove the performance? Separate multipliers will get you advantage not to load the other panels but you still got a problem and flashing bulb to decouple from EHT and flashing to point out performance seems nice but if something is wrong and load the speaker membranes you still need to deal with it. Any thoutgts?

Attachments

• New EHT boards 32 caps 1.JPG
    New EHT boards 32 caps 1.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
The voltage tolerance is not spcified, and I am afraid the 2.9cm body size is too small. I use a 9Gohm 100mm long resistor built in a plastic tube.
But it works. On your own risk of cource.... And I get a reading corresponding to what I predicted. Just above 6volts and also above 1,5volts for treble tap. But if you want a reading with measurement uncertainty its the wrong way. If you just want to see the circuit is working properly you are ok. I have also a isolation meter with Gohm meter function and have measured the resistor.

Had some luck tresure hunting around Stockholm this week. Look what I found. Some really early ones. First serial number is 587.Probably from 1958. This one have lightly darker grilles. The last one in picture. Really lovley colour. Hope to find something to match up with it. Would be a really hot pair :)

Attachments

• 4 new panels.JPG
    4 new panels.JPG
    461.3 KB · Views: 80
  • early 587 serial number.JPG
    early 587 serial number.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: 1 user
I will be busy with other refurbish for a while. I just came over this pare of Quad IIs and I cant resist getting them up to drive my ESLs. Someone have done a massive rebuild earlier and I will try getting them back in shape, Tubes are weak and I hate those polycaps incerted.. Back to "gunsmoke" and new Quad logos and so on... This pair have served at Swedish Govermental Radio in the beginning. All trannies measures well. A good start.

Attachments

• uppifrån.JPG
    uppifrån.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 98
  • rören uppifrån.JPG
    rören uppifrån.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 96
  • orenoverade sidan.JPG
    orenoverade sidan.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 93
  • orenoverade under.JPG
    orenoverade under.JPG