Yet another DIY AMT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I´ll fold

First tests with the new folding tool:
2015_04_07-7006.jpg

2015_04_07-7007.jpg

Width is okay, but I might add a couple of båndsei pins. Also, the ruler must have some support:
2015_04_07-7008.jpg

2015_04_07-7009.jpg

First 320 mm high membrane:
2015_04_07-7010.jpg

Not the full width though, but it looks promising:
2015_04_07-7012.jpg

So I got some work to do on the precision. But considering that this was a sloppy test made with a test membrane, with a little patience even this first version of the tool might be enough.

So with the second motor finished as well, it took a little more time than I anticipated as I was impatient and did not let the glue cure when I tried to glue the next magnet, it is time to start with some serious membrane manufactoring.

The unfolded membrane is 350 mm high and 330 mm wide and as the Silhouette cutter only takes 300 mm and the foil is even less wide I will have to make two foils:
2015_04_26-7013.jpg

The two foils must be exactly 2,6 mm apart:
2015_04_26-7015.jpg

Somehow I will join the electrical leaders in order to make one circuit

I let the knife cut a little too deep on the large membrane part so that the PressnSeal I have between the cutting mat and the paper I have as a in-between layer got cut as well.
A little more to cleanse, but not a huge problem.

The widest tape I got is 160 mm, so I will have to have put several layers of tape.
I secure the distance between the foil with a narrower tape first at the return parts.
Wasn't all that concentrated so I got some unwanted folds:

2015_04_26-7016.jpg

Yes, with all those Neos I have I can easily pull a UFO down .

I don't know about passive XOs; I have had active XOs for the past 20 years and the last 5 of those I've been digital, doing everything in the DSP in the PC.
In fact, my setup is "Bi DACed", having two channels for the AMT and two channels for the bass.

In my view, the DSP is necessary for the AMTs as they need to be PEQ:ed.
This is how my DSP is currently setup:

Low channels (dipol compensation 6 dB LP from 30 Hz, resulting in +15 dB):
Allocator%20low.JPG

High channels (HP from 250 Hz, some PEQ at 10 kHz):
Allocator%20high.JPG

It includes bass dipole cancellation compensation as well; the output for 20 Hz depicted above is actually +15 dB as the bass amplifiers and speakers result in a higher SPL. At the XO, that is 250 Hz, the SPL for the AMT and the bass are the same.

Also, it could be good to have a step cutoff frequency rolloff for the AMN in the low end; I'm currently using -24 dB.

Last edited:
Please show harmonics between 2 - 5th and use less smoothing. Say no more than 12th octave should do. For critical measures I normally use 24th or 48/oct

REW has a new variable curve where more smoothing is added as frequency increases. Makes for a nice plot and believe is more represenitive of how we hear. ;)

Please show harmonics between 2 - 5th and use less smoothing. Say no more than 12th octave should do. For critical measures I normally use 24th or 48/oct

REW has a new variable curve where more smoothing is added as frequency increases. Makes for a nice plot and believe is more represenitive of how we hear. ;)

I´ll do more thorough measurements later.

Yeah, I think REW is much better for distortion measuremnts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.