Yet another DIY AMT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
5x5 rods

First tests with 16 5x5 iron bars:
2013_08_13-1945.jpg

With a wave guide for 800 Hz I get:
4x4+rods+16+wg.jpg

Ideal to XO at 800 Hz @ 24 dB/octave. Only one EQ -6 dB at 10 kHz and Q=1,24. That is acceptable in my opinion.

I also tested with 12 and 8 bars but only got lower SPL (-2 and -4 dB lower)
In fact, I also tested without any bars at all :confused: and got even lower SPL (another -6 dB) plus a distortion level at -50 dB.
Unusable for sound reproduction of course, but it opens up an easy way to tweak the membrane and its fastening to the structure and then make comparative measurements.

Good idea with etching away some aluminium after the trace cutting.
If the etchant (Natriumperoxidisulfate) is stired during etching it should be even.
It is also important that the temperature doesn´t rise.
Perhaps one can measure the resistance during etching and just stop (pull out and rinse) when desired resistance is reached?

It should be easy to test with a leftover membrane.

I would not recommend etching the al thinner. It wont be even and will find any weakness in the metal eat through that point first. Even if measures ok it may sound good at 0.5w but at 3 a dead duck.

Thanks for your caveat.
It is still worth a try on a leftover membrane or why not on a single aluminium strip.

For an experiment sure, by all means please do test :)

My experience with plating and etching span some >35 years. Regardless of irrigation, fluid flow, temperature etc have never seen metals removed evenly, especially along the edges where the metal is undercut.

Hey guys,

As far as etching goes, I did an experiment last week and eventually the etchant did find a weak spot. Stil, though, that took a reasonably long time. I will experiment with it further when I have a chance.

Another idea - how about electroplating more Al on BoPET film? Could this be done relatively evenly?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.