• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yet another 12B4 line stage, or is the 12B4 better than the Grounded Grid.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LuckyLyndy

If, as Zen Mod believes, it turns out your tranny runs too hot then it might help to build the cathode CCS's to regulate at reduced current.

Someone (Brian Beck, I think) suggested that changing the value of the resister in the CCS to lower the current draw of each tube to about 22ma would have negligible affect on the sound.

This would take the total current draw from 120ma down to about 104ma.

22ma for each 12b4 + 30ma for each OD3 stack = 104ma

javascript:smilie(':)')
smile

Thanks, BG, for the idea and suggestion.
I'll look into it. After reading Cho...er, Zen Mod's comments, I was just ready to chuck that part of the project and just stick with the excellent solid state regulated board I bought from Germany. Foolish me of thinking of having two paths on this linestage. :dead:

Just watched an old Johnny Depp movie, "The Ninth Gate". The movie is so-so, but the soundtrack...
A beautiful voice emerges from soprano Sumijo, blending well with - The City of Prague Philharmonic & Chorus, conducted by Stepan Konicek.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
LuckyLyndy said:
Thanks, BG, for the idea and suggestion.
I'll look into it. After reading Cho...er, Zen Mod's comments, I was just ready to chuck that part of the project and just stick with the excellent solid state regulated board I bought from Germany. Foolish me of thinking of having two paths on this linestage. :dead:

Just watched an old Johnny Depp movie, "The Ninth Gate". The movie is so-so, but the soundtrack...
A beautiful voice emerges from soprano Sumijo, blending well with - The City of Prague Philharmonic & Chorus, conducted by Stepan Konicek.

in your boots-I'll try my luck with that xformer and gas stabz;

you're Lucky , don't you?
:clown:

besides, I corrected somewhat my comments in PM to you...?

Gas tubes regulation/Proper Transformer Specs

I sent a PM to Zen Mod, but I would also like to post here.
I bought a trannie to power up the OD3 gas tubes, but it looks like it doesn't have the juice to do the job properly. With help from Zen Mod and Mark, I have emailed a schematic and power requirements to Edcor Transformers, and got this reply:
Lyndon,
> Sorry I was out part of Friday. I looked at the info
> and am a little
> confused. I understand the schematics and discussion
> but give me a AC
> voltage that you would like to have supplied to your
> solid state bridge.
>
> I will make you a transformer and replace the
> XPWR106 at no charge.
>
> Do you require a 6.3VAC source as the XPWR106.
> Don't forget you can use the
> red to red high voltage winding to get 550 VAC at
> 125ma. Just don't use the
> black/red wire.
> Let me know.
>
> Larry

The transformer I purchased was this one:
http://www.edcorusa.com/classx/power/xpwr/Xpwr106.htm

Anyone with advice for Larry, let me know.
P.S. I am just an avid stereo diy'er, and have no background knowledge in electronics, but it mystifies me that I have asked and asked what should be a simple question for this transformer and have wasted a ton of time on it. Why has it been so hard to get a straight answer on a trannie to meet the requirements for this area of the project?
Larry at Edcor has been more than willing to make whatever we need, so kudos to him and to George (tubelab.com) for trying out the Edcor trannies last year, and reviewing them. Also thanks to Zen Mod for sending a reply this morning, that I have sent to Larry at Edcor. Maybe I will have this up and running before Thanksgiving!
Off topic:
SY, I know you like to cook, so I am letting you know I am making a baked pumpkin dish, a Long Island Cheese Pumpkin with layers of crusty bread, creme fraiche, gruyere cheese, and fresh ground nutmeg. Served with sauteed gnocchi, in olive oil and rosemary, and a garden salad...YUM!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Gas tubes regulation/Proper Transformer Specs

LuckyLyndy said:
SY, I know you like to cook, so I am letting you know I am making a baked pumpkin dish, a Long Island Cheese Pumpkin with layers of crusty bread, creme fraiche, gruyere cheese, and fresh ground nutmeg. Served with sauteed gnocchi, in olive oil and rosemary, and a garden salad...YUM!

WTF!
sign me in for next shootout!
:headbash:

Another question, Zen Mod

Zen Mod,
Larry at Edcor has one more question on the transformer:

Lyndon,

. It looks like the 300vac need not be center tapped. We will do a
new unit for you and include the 15v 1a winding. Keep the XPWR106 and if you
can't use it give it away. We will assign the new unit a number and you can
pass it around if you wish. We will ship it in about a week. Please confirm
the 300vac need not be center tapped.
We'll get there.
Larry

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Another question, Zen Mod

LuckyLyndy said:
Zen Mod,
Larry at Edcor has one more question on the transformer:

Lyndon,

. It looks like the 300vac need not be center tapped. We will do a
new unit for you and include the 15v 1a winding. Keep the XPWR106 and if you
can't use it give it away. We will assign the new unit a number and you can
pass it around if you wish. We will ship it in about a week. Please confirm
the 300vac need not be center tapped.
We'll get there.
Larry

yeah
300V/150mA (NOT center tapped!) plus 15V/1A

just go for it

Thanks! New Place for Custom Transformers

Thanks, Zen Mod
Larry at Edcor says he can do this!
The price will be about $47 plus shipping. Mark is ordering one as well.
If anyone is interested in this transformer, or has other transformer needs you should use the Edcor 800 number and try to talk to Larry Weston. He is very helpful, and he used to work with Mr. Carver of Sunfire fame.
I believe Tubelab has turned me onto a good contact for iron.
Lyndon

transformer specs

Lyndon,

Can you clarify a few things about the transformer you ordered.

1. Do you intend to power the entire pre-amp? I.e. Four OD3's and two 12B4s ?

2. Are you running your heaters in series from the 15V tap?

3. Are you running the heaters DC?

Thanks much.

Ryan

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: transformer specs

RKH said:
Lyndon,

Can you clarify a few things about the transformer you ordered.

1. Do you intend to power the entire pre-amp? I.e. Four OD3's and two 12B4s ?

2. Are you running your heaters in series from the 15V tap?

3. Are you running the heaters DC?

Thanks much.

Ryan

I belive that I'm not so Lycky as Lyndon is,but ....... ;)

1. yes-it's for around 400+ VDC for powering both channels;
each channel will have two 0D3 stacked and one 12B4

2. 15V/1A is intended for feeding each 12B4 with 12V6/300mA DC ; probably with one LM317 per tube ; my approach will be CCS-ed 317 for 300mA (in fact -every time when I use CCS for voltage oriented heaters (as 12B4 have ) I shoot for exactly needed voltage on hot filament)

3. look at 2.

Re: Re: transformer specs

Zen Mod said:

I belive that I'm not so Lycky as Lyndon is,but ....... ;)

1. yes-it's for around 400+ VDC for powering both channels;
each channel will have two 0D3 stacked and one 12B4

2. 15V/1A is intended for feeding each 12B4 with 12V6/300mA DC ; probably with one LM317 per tube ; my approach will be CCS-ed 317 for 300mA (in fact -every time when I use CCS for voltage oriented heaters (as 12B4 have ) I shoot for exactly needed voltage on hot filament)

3. look at 2.

Thanks for the reply. Apologies for my ignorance but I have a few more questions. I'm looking at the schematic posted here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=910671&stamp=1147048038

So my confusion is that it sounds like you're using LM317 for CCS for the heater and not on the cathode (as in the above schematic) I understand the application of the LM317 as the CCS for cathode. I just hadn't seen it applied to the heaters.

Also, I'm looking at the data sheet for the 12B4. Why would one use pin 3, the center tap on the heater?

Again, just trying to figure things out.

Thanks,

R

My new 12b4 preamp, built per Brian Beck's design, is causing my woofers to draw way in then push way out when power is first applied. Also at seemingly random times while playing music.

I have an ss amp that the 12b4 pre is connected to. I turn on the amp about a minute after turning on the pre, and waiting longer doesn't seem to make any difference. My power supply is a simple CRCRC with 47u/500R/22u/500R/22u.

I can't seem to find any info about this type of problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ashok said:
This thread is so long I've forgotten a few things.

Are the following facts correct :

The 12B4 tube sounds best with a resistor plate load and no bypass capacitor on the cathode resistor ?
Thanks.

<IMHO>

It sounds best if metal oxide power resistors are in the plate... for my tastes.

Tried a cathode resistor bypassed and unbypassed and a pile of LED's a-la Morgan Jones and the LED's won hands down :)

</IMHO>

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.