Yarg: yet another regulated gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My experience and other's on this forum may show that using small capacitors at the regulator's output pays off in better sound. Perhaps not as small (10uF), but something around 47/100uF.

Okay, that was the second meaning I was thinking of. ;)

It's just that I don't want to swap the placements of the two components, which I had to do in order to use the large one at the ADJ pin. Not because I'm lazy, but because I don't think it really pays off (It would really be neccessary to change nearly everything, then).

I'll experiment with larger values for the ADJ bypass cap when I have the board working.

and the smaller cap at the output

That's no problem anyway, as I could just put any smaller value in there. There is room for experiments with anything from 0 to >470uF. ;)

I had many tantalums working bad or even catching fire on some of my projects

Whoo, that's bad!
I've never experienced such things (once again: I'm not concerned about the sound of a tantalum at the ADJ pin at the amp's output, I wouldn't even expect it to be measureable).
Actually, it should only depend on the regulator's output voltage, as the voltage across the cap is Vcap = Vout - Vref, which would certainly be ca. 25V - 1.25V or something alike.

I've choosen 35V types, which should be save, as the currents involved are in the sub-milliampere range and the cap is 'overvoltage-protected' by the diodes.

Anyway, I appreciate this opinion, Carlos. I'll test it out. ;)
Any further opinion about schematic and board are welcome! :D

Sebastian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.