Yaqin MS 12B phono amp- reviews

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered new pot. as suppose this is the right type of Alps (and better) potentiometer to replace the original one in Yagin, dimensions not clear but hopefully shafts will fit the same board? :rolleyes:

If you ordered it from China, Hong Kong than its a fake. Better off with a cheap radio shack pot. I don't even think Alps make a blue one like that. Mine looks nothing like that and its all metal.

I shouldn't worry about the 'Alps'...
...the unit in the photo looks 100% genuine to me.

I have one...
...I was just unfortunate enough to pay top price from UK Farnell.
The Chinese know how to do buisness...and at the right prices.

I now buy most of my components from China...
...and am yet to come across a 'fake' anything yet.

Most of the UK suppliers get all their stuff from China anyhow...
...so I end up with EXACTLY the same stuff at 25% of the price.

Wish I'd discovered international ordering sooner.

Cheers

Si.

If you ordered it from China, Hong Kong than its a fake. Better off with a cheap radio shack pot. I don't even think Alps make a blue one like that. Mine looks nothing like that and its all metal.
Yea I did, and I don't regret, it's fine pot with a reasonable price. I wouldn't call it "fake" but rather a copy RK27 Series - Products Line
However, I asked for advice (and pics) six months ago and now it's a bit late ;)

Anyway, I also found a full metal (jacket) in USA (original NOS) Alps that even the seller didn't know what year exactly or is it working (tricky business) but that's for my next mod-project.

8179077776_eb94d22301.jpg

Yea I did, and I don't regret, it's fine pot with a reasonable price. I wouldn't call it "fake" but rather a copy RK27 Series - Products Line
However, I asked for advice (and pics) six months ago and now it's a bit late ;)

Anyway, I also found a full metal (jacket) in USA (original NOS) Alps that even the seller didn't know what year exactly or is it working (tricky business) but that's for my next mod-project.

8179077776_eb94d22301.jpg

I ordered One pot for my yaqin from a Hong Kong ebayer, Supposingly ALPS? Dead within two months. Ordered another one from a Hong Kong ebayer for my current Aikido Preamp.. DEAD and huge pops when increasing or decreasing the volume. Luck of the draw. I'm done with anything from China. If it make sense to some people than its perfectly fine. Why waste money on high end Capacitors and resistors only to have go thru a (IMO) a crapola Chinese Pot? my Current Pot on my Aikido Preamp? a GoldPoint. As MC Hammer used to say....Can't touch this!!

That's fine. More quality - more money.
Next time when I buy amp/preamp that costs a thousand or more €/$ (which I doubt) I could certainly consider this info Prices

In the meantime all "crapola" I got from Chinese sellers runs perfect for me. Especially 15$ volume pot! :cheers:

Well, You get what you paid for. Since the Yaqin is chinese and the Original pot in also Chinese. to my ears, There was no different between the original and Chinese Alps. I wouldn't be surprise if it all came from the same Factory. How many factories are producing Potentiometers in Hong kong? Anyways glad it worked out for you. Here on the bottom right is a 50 Dollars Blue "CRAPOLA" that was completely awful. I would have had more fun if I opened my car window and thru a 50 dollar bill out. :2c:

DSC04260.jpg

Looking again at the photo of the Alps Blue that was posted...
...EVERY single detail, from metal-work notches down to mould-sprue pips etc...
...is EXACTLY the same as pots I have bought consistently over the years from 'genuine' & EXTREMELY expensive UK suppliers.

If your pot looks in every detail, as the one in the photo, it is undoubtedly a 100% genuine Alps Blue.

I have had several of these in heavily used recording equipment for well over 10 years, and they are STILL behaving as if new.

Having said that, our main volume control at present is in fact a DIY made switched-stepped attenuator ( which cost a HUMUNGOUS amount of dough ).

And having said that...
...our even newer volume control ( for current project )...
...will be another DIY stepped-attenuator...
...based on a $10 Chinese switch...
...and a whole bunch of 0.25% precision wire-wound resistors...
...bought on eBay for about $15.

I don't think M C Hammer is even gonna get near enough to touch those.

It will be interesting to compare the 100% DIY, eBay & Chinese switch attenuator, with the previously built 'Audio Synthesis' kit PAS-02.

If I hear ANY difference, I will be surprised...
...However, we have a real sneaking feeling, that our new wire-wound DIY, eBay, Chinese switch version, might just pip the PAS-02, on the basis of the $15 worth of wire-wound resistors from eBay !
( will report back in a while when it's made )

Cheers

Si.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Often, you don't.
Lateral thinking, on the other hand, is FREE !

P.S. repeated soldering / desoldering & or iron-overheating, will destroy an Alps blue very easily.
Just a tip.

Last edited:
We got a preamp that looks Hi end but actually cost peanuts. If we compare the piece of pot with many of our pots in all our equipments is exactly the same or worst and we never thank in change it. Accord and based in the same line I think if we want to improve the whole circuit the better is keep out the pot from the circuit. Put DC in the whole heathers and Regulation to the main power supply. IMHO The other important change is putt the AC inside the Transformer Can with the diodes and electrolytic capacitors and the AC plug with the main switch inside the above mentioned can. Going inside the chassis exclusively with DC for High and Filamentary voltage. The PP caps are goods and don't need be replaced. I not measure the caps and resistors from the RIAA chain to be sure they are at the correct value that show, but in general the preamp is a fine bargain for eighty euros I paid for it.
Regards for everybody:cool:

Everyone has different experience with parts. Again, if it works fine for you than great. I will never buy any parts from china again. Or was that made in Japan? Does anyone know what the cost is to manufacture something in Japan? So let me get this straight. it gets manufactured in Japan, Sold to China and sold to the consumer for peanuts? That's like asking the English to Manufacture cars, let it Pass hands and than charge FIAT prices. LOL.:D

a Quote from an old ebayer:

"I use to sell ALPS 25K pots on eBay. What I noticed is the real ALPS pots have use a serif font. In the lower left corner is the pot size and taper code. In the lower right is the pot value and taper type. This is only helpful if the ebayer shows you the label on the back. Another thing, according to the ALPS website they never made an RK27 blue pot with a knurled shaft or "stepped feel". The part number on the pot will be 704t, 706t, etc. and the real thing never used an RH or RK part number on the device. Watch out for those fakes!!

:cheers:

We got a preamp that looks Hi end but actually cost peanuts. If we compare the piece of pot with many of our pots in all our equipments is exactly the same or worst and we never thank in change it. Accord and based in the same line I think if we want to improve the whole circuit the better is keep out the pot from the circuit. Put DC in the whole heathers and Regulation to the main power supply. IMHO The other important change is putt the AC inside the Transformer Can with the diodes and electrolytic capacitors and the AC plug with the main switch inside the above mentioned can. Going inside the chassis exclusively with DC for High and Filamentary voltage. The PP caps are goods and don't need be replaced. I not measure the caps and resistors from the RIAA chain to be sure they are at the correct value that show, but in general the preamp is a fine bargain for eighty euros I paid for it.
Regards for everybody:cool:
Back on topic!

That's an interesting idea. :up:
Are you working on it? I wish to see this kind of mod on pictures.

Last edited:
We got a preamp that looks Hi end but actually cost peanuts.

I didn't care about the way it looks but how it sounds. Still a fantastic little preamp. I'll have to put it up for sale since its collecting dust.

Here's mine at its peak. The funny thing is that my turntable wasn't level and the VTA is way off. You can notice it around the 4th minute. Mine you that Youtube kills it with ridiculous compression but you can tell how it might sound in my living room.

Cheers:

Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'échafaud - Générique - Rega P25 - YouTube

Al Green - Love and Happiness - Rega P25 - YouTube

Sorry, I had no time for make some pics, but they are my duty...

Back on topic!

That's an interesting idea. :up:
Are you working on it? I wish to see this kind of mod on pictures.

Doberdan Jadran and folks.
Thats true about your requirements. I disassemble the preamp after try to listen it for two days. I abandon the project two years ago but recently I found your topic here in Diyaudio and re inspired to me for encourage the project specially because you found a rich sound in this . I got some pics with my cellular phone and right now I am on the middle of many things. I finishing my RX1500 VG with magnetic floating platter. And the computer for the processor in my hifi place. You can see the transformer, the diodes, the filter, the 220volt connector and the switch inside the can, I trying to make an CSS for each valve with common cathode and make a regulation supply for the whole circuit, the other I have to confirm is the real value in the RIAA. And change the emisor follower from the second 12AX7. Best Regards and Laku noch:D

Attachments

• 2012-11-13 23.39.00.jpg
    2012-11-13 23.39.00.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 515
  • 2012-11-13 23.39.12.jpg
    2012-11-13 23.39.12.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 474
  • 2012-11-13 23.39.24.jpg
    2012-11-13 23.39.24.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 486
  • 2012-11-13 23.40.32.jpg
    2012-11-13 23.40.32.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 474
  • 2012-11-13 23.40.54.jpg
    2012-11-13 23.40.54.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 482
  • 2012-11-13 23.41.34.jpg
    2012-11-13 23.41.34.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 304
  • 2012-11-13 23.42.11.jpg
    2012-11-13 23.42.11.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 303
Muy Bien!
Now that is some real mod out there :worship:
I was wondering what to do with so much space under this black can but honestly never thought that so much stuff could be squeezed inside. Such a great idea, and much work in fact. Now you also need to do more outside changes, on the open holes. Please post the news of progress when you get time :up:

Bok, In fact is easy, the only you have to do is disassemble believing and with care. The holes, yes the holes, at the beginning i planned to make CSS with tubes and use this holes, but the whole device is a prepreamp and for use in Phono magnetic MM, for that reason I put out the pot from the circuit and the selector system with relais. I got enhanced mosfets from the idea of Gary Pimm to change the load envelope of the plate curves and make more immune to the power supply changes.
But soon I become more and more ambitious with the project and the whole circuit is like that, one and work fine like "Is". But for this ambition I can chose another project and respect this original one like it is. I will not try to became complexness. I will show more pics but now I have to finish my Micro Seiki RX1500 VG that I change at all.
In another order of facts: My father born in Prgmet (close to Split) but leaved to Argentina at 8 years old in the 36'. He never come back home sadly dyed there. I were there one year ago and visit my family and I felt like in home. I miss very much this people. :)Lako noc

Hi Everyone,

My wonderful Yaqin MS12B is for sale. Might as well let someone else enjoy it since it's collecting dust.:( It has Sonicaps 1uf with sonicaps .01 Bypass caps. Black gate Capacitors (3), 47K Caddock resistors, Upgraded Genuine Alps Pots ( Not from China), Allen Bradley Gridstoppers. Come with New Mullards 12ax7. Anyone Interested please send me an PM.

Cheers and Keep it Jazzy!

Hi Everyone,

My wonderful Yaqin MS12B is for sale. Might as well let someone else enjoy it since it's collecting dust.:( It has Sonicaps 1uf with sonicaps .01 Bypass caps. Black gate Capacitors (3), 47K Caddock resistors, Upgraded Genuine Alps Pots ( Not from China), Allen Bradley Gridstoppers. Come with New Mullards 12ax7. Anyone Interested please send me an PM.

Cheers and Keep it Jazzy!

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Be6S1kbYWw

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.