Yamaha RX-730 display

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
The display comes and goes due to the connection on the (super small) incandescent bulb. I want to retrofit an LED but the source is 12VAC.

As far as I know (I was a CET in the 70s) LEDs are DC devices but I am no expert.

Can an LED be connected to AC or do I need to make a simple rectifier circuit?

Or are there other options?

Thanks

David

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
An LED would need a rectifier (at least a diode), a small smoothing cap (unless you enjoy flicker) and a dropper resistor. You also need to make sure that its light emission pattern fits its location, since LEDs - unlike conventional lightbulbs - are quite directional.

Thanks, i will put together rectifier circuit for it.

If I go full wave do you think that will minimize the flicker without a filter cap?
I have a ton of diodes.

It'll improve the situation, but "eliminate" is quite relative. How high did you have refresh rates set back in the days of CRT monitors? Flicker sensitivity varies a lot among people. In a nutshell, if your eyes aren't exactly too steady, you'll loathe it. Other people may just be left wondering what all the fuss is about as they quite literally don't see anything wrong.

We're not talking huge capacitance either. With a bridge rectifier you may be getting along with 47 µF or so.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
It'll improve the situation, but "eliminate" is quite relative. How high did you have refresh rates set back in the days of CRT monitors? Flicker sensitivity varies a lot among people. In a nutshell, if your eyes aren't exactly too steady, you'll loathe it. Other people may just be left wondering what all the fuss is about as they quite literally don't see anything wrong.

We're not talking huge capacitance either. With a bridge rectifier you may be getting along with 47 µF or so.

Good point, I know I have some 47uF caps laying around in the 16-64 voltage range. I'll slap one in there too.

This receiver also has a problem with the left channel overheating, just about have that isolated. Kinda enjoying troubleshooting again, it has been a few years :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.