Yamaha pc2002m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
div001-1.jpg

A bit rough around the edges when I got it but cleaned up nicely. What size capacitors are in this? Think I need to change them as the top didnt look too good.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi IsakAlexander,
The caps don't often go bad. You should be able to read the value off the side of the part.

Hi jaycee,
They are well made, and very clean sounding. I used to do warranty service on these. The P2200 was built more robustly if you want to see something heavier.

If the P2200 were to fall forward, the transformer would crush the chassis mount it was on and come forward. That destroyed those expensive meters (not normal meters BTW).

Notice the knobs are recessed. Someone was thinking. ;)

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi IsakAlexander,
I`m tired of "high end" overpriced gear with crappy sound.
So that was inexpensive then?

Your Yamaha amp would sound better with really nice speakers. You can't really tell through those Bose. I suspect if someone replaced the Yamaha with a Traynor, you wouldn't be able to hear the difference. Don't get mad now, just try it.

-Chris

I paid 456,45$ for the Yamaha, not too bad. In my ordinary setup i got the Mirage m-7si for main speakers, plan to give it a go on them. As for pre amp I use the Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH.
The Bose speakers are "neutral" enough to be able to hear the difference between a Rotel and a AMC amp, belive it or not. I got the 901 series II equalizer on them. The Yamaha amp, is it normal to hear a buzzing sound from it, mains voltage kind if you know what I mean?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi IsakAlexander,
Good deal.

Yamaha amplifiers are very quiet, you should not hear any buzz. I would suspect the 901 EQ. Have you ever looked inside those nasty little things? Have you ever tested them? They are absolutely brutal. Those speakers are strong in the mids, for obvious reasons.

I think that once you confirm the Yamaha is running okay, you should listen to them on your Mirage speakers.

Hi Rob,
Since you got those amps at no charge, just ring Yamaha and buy the service manuals. Yamaha is very fair when it comes to service information. You have a rally nice pair of amplifiers. You can buy your spares at the same time.

If you just look at these amps, the problems should be extremely easy to figure out. Dead easy.

-Chris

I havent tested the amp yet, only turned it on to make sure nothing were shorted. As for the Bose eq, its dead quiet, had it hooked up to the variable output of a Sony cdp-x303es and to a pair of bridged Rotels. It`s somewhat modified..
The Yamaha were shipped in a ridiculus box with no padding so I didnt belive it would work correctly, also I`m missing the proper cables to test it in my system. Could be the bias is wrong, had some amps before making a faint buzzing sound when bias not set correctly.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi IsakAlexander,
As for the Bose eq, its dead quiet, had it hooked up to the variable output of a Sony cdp-x303es and to a pair of bridged Rotels.
Unusual. I have serviced these and they are distortion / noise boxes. Possibly someone spent a lot of time fixing one up?

also I`m missing the proper cables to test it in my system.
XLR cables?
You can make an adapter that, while not really correct will allow you to test these amps. Just supply your RCA signal to "hot" and the shield to "common". You'll have signal then.

The Yamaha were shipped in a ridiculus box with no padding so I didnt belive it would work correctly
Idiots.

Could be the bias is wrong, had some amps before making a faint buzzing sound when bias not set correctly.
No. The faint buzzing would mean the bias is destructively high I would think. That or the amp in question is a bad design.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi IsakAlexander,
Yes (from the other thread), those EQ boxes have a vicious boost at each end of the spectrum. This eats up headroom in an amp really quickly. The distortion on those EQs was pretty high as well.

The high end boost was around 16 dB, and the bass was somewhere around 12 ~ 14 dB. I measured one many years ago, so I may have those figures reversed. The power supplies in the EQ was awfully simple as well. I do mean "awfully" in every sense of the word.

If you wanted to get high quality audio through the EQ, you could always rebuild it. The one you show seems to have been updated before the cap and jack modifications, but the basic circuit will be the same. Building a lower noise power supply is critical considering the basic gain blocks they used. I am pretty sure that would make an audible difference.

I even back engineered the schematic once as I had to repair one with some funny issues. I can't seem to find it right now.

-Chris

Dry Caps

Hello folks,

Just saw that this thread was still ongoing, but indeed dry caps can be tricky when you have some offset on your output, is it the Bose equalizer you refering to?
I know that quite often in switching power supplies it's a main reason they go bad.
Or perhaps one of the adjustable potmeters is flacky.:spin:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.