Yamaha P2200 asymmetrical clipping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Cool. AK is a good site too. I pop in rarely, but I do pop in. Time is the issue there.

Hi Michael,
I wasnt aware posting on two different sites is considered a cardinal sin.
It isn't.

I was just curious, that's all. I was guessing John was talking about AK, but I wasn't sure. DIYAudio is generally more technical, so it suits me better. For other members, the AK site is a better fit. I'm anatech over there too.

-Chris

Great thread. Happy the OP has the amp back up and running. Personally I love these amplifiers, I recently picked up a working P2200 that was cosmetically challenged as it lived a hard life on the road, it had been dropped so many times while in it's road case, the weight of the transformer bent the piece of plate that it is mounted to. Also the heatsink on one side was bashed up pretty good.
image_zps4luteg2e.jpeg

Of course I had to pull it all apart to cold straighten the plate and while I was at it I replaced all the electrolytics and measured many of the usual suspect resistors.
aa49558a557f87ebd0afb8ec9202e22d_zpsshecm0go.jpg

I had a spare heatsink and replaced the damaged one.
I've noticed a disturbing trend lately, folks are buying these amps and selling them as parts presumably because they can make more $$ parting them out than selling them whole. I have been picking up parts here and there when I see a deal but the deals are rare.

image_zpsoyjfyiyz.jpeg

Just picked these up for $50 (for 2) plus shipping, what I'd really like to find is an assortment of screws from one of these amps, as I find there are usually one or two odd screws missing from these old girls.

This is the 3rd P22xx amp I've purchased cheap and brought back to good, I reall can't find fault with these yamahas, I hope I find more in the future.

Chris, I have read plenty of threads you have been part of in regards to these yamahas, I really appreciate everything you have written and shared, it really helps us home gamers get on the right track quick. If I'm ever back in ON for a visit I'll try to look you up so I can buy you a beer.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Frazzled,
I'm glad you are getting them running. I absolutely hate folks who will take apart an amplifier to part out. Unless the amplifier is really toast, there is no excuse for that kind of greed. In truth, these folks are seldom good technicians. They are that fringe element that we don't like to see.

You should see what I can get out of these sound-wise. They are well worth having me detail them. I'm really happy the thread has helped you out.

-Chris

Thats a well traveled amp you got there Frazzled :) and well worth bringing back to life. I still haven't replaced the repaired channels emitter resistors to a matching set but will with my next Digikey order.
At that point I`ll put the P2200 in place of the PC2002M running the Kappa`s and see how it compares to the next generation.
I`ve had the P2200 running LFE duties during this period driving a JBL B380 with outstanding results, cant wait to hear it full range.

I used to run a hire department and renovated the fleet of these amps.
Standard renovate was to replace the smaller electros and blanket resolder the boards and clean properly with isopropyl alcohol and brush, contact treat switches and pots, then cal bias and dc offset as you have done.

The result is a fun sounding, great sounding, essentially indestructible amp...pretty clean and clear and totally unfussed by whatever load you throw at them.

Enjoy big time, one of my favourites.

Dan.

Last edited:
I'm using one of these amps in a home hi-fi environment, powering a pair of ADS L880's. I'm very happy with the sound. Clear, detailed, non-fatiguing, liquid sound, with a wide and deep soundstage.

Do you guys worry about the lack of speaker protection relays on these amps? It's sometimes in the back of my mind, though my speakers have fuses, so maybe I shouldn't worry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.