Yamaha CDX-550E or Technics SL-PG480?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yamaha CDX-550E or Technics SL-PG480?

I have to choose between these two. Yamaha has an YM DAC and the Technics an MN chip. In terms of craftsmanship and sound quality which one should I get ? The Yamaha is heavier and the Technics has a more pressing bass. Thank you!

It depends on your listening tastes... they where both good budget players in they're day although the Technics was at the lower end of the range and the Yamaha in the middle.
For rock , dance , electronic music i would choose the Technics it's got a slightly bass heavy presentation but a decent level of detail and timing.
The Yamaha is smoother with a better midrange but a somewhat veiled treble that can sound
" mushy " .
Bear in mind that both players are from the early 90 's so may need some attention , having said that both brands have plenty of working examples around ... what amp - speakers have you got ?

Got them both! The yamaha is a good listen every day with no extra in detail purpose cause you miss the mid-highs and the highs that tend to be like a covered with a layer of dust. The Technics is so disco sounding with a little more control. Both are good, but I am choosing the Technics. I would recommend the Yamaha in long listening and the Technics in normal to a little more listening. I listen on Marantz PM-7200, Infinity RS-5001 and also have a CDP-XB930QS. PS. The Technics would be great with a little less bass and a little less highs and regarding the rest of the aspects uppon it's sound, it sounds preety natural! Thank you!

It may be worth trying a little experimentation with cables especially the rca interconnect.
If you can find a supplier in your country ( or Amazon / E bay ) try some solid core interconnects.
Audioquest do a couple of relatively cheap ones , the Tower and Evergreen and from my own experience solid core tends to focus and tighten the bass as well as smoothing the treble . Worth trying with the Technics ?
The Sony was a very good player in it's day also . I have a cdp 720 qs which at almost 20 years old is mint and will play anything even badly damaged discs. I love the varible filter which has been useful in
" fine tuning " the cd player with various amps / speakers over the years.
Also used until recently a Marantz pm 4200 circa 2001 , still works perfectly but i find Marantz amps tend to " suckout " the mids which makes vocals especially a bit veiled and distant.
Anyway happy listening :) .

Came back with a thought of consideration and say that the Yamaha sounds better than the Technics dough I have sold the Yamaha along the way! Might you try some yamaha for long not too filled with bass than the lower series technics or go with the higher class technics in conclusion for a wide list of aspects, yamaha sounding more neutral! Problem solved, thread ended!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.