YAMAHA CA 1000 Repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Recently bought a YAMAHA CA 1000 needing repair.

This integrated has inputs for line so I can use it as a power amp and it works very well this way but when I connect it as an integrated, it only plays in one channel.

There are no noises and everything works perfectly in one channel but the other is muted.

I found these schematics but I am having trouble identifying the possible cause.

Hope someone with experience in these amps can help.....

Attachments

• hfe_yamaha_ca-1000_ii_service.pdf
    506.6 KB · Views: 161
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi RCruz,
Honestly, I would think switch contacts. These were very reliable and didn't have any particular breakdowns.

In the muted channel, do you hear the music faintly in the background? Highs only, or full range?

Keep in mind that anything could have happened to this amplifier over the years, and someone has probably taken a look at it already. It might be as simple as a plug was put in incorrectly, to a component failure. You should be able to chase the signal easily enough. Just check the sections first to see if the signal goes in, but not back out again.

Good luck, Chris

Flip all the switches while playing at a low volume, tone control turnover, etc.

Rotate all controls, especially the balance control.

Heating up the switch contacts while flipping the same switch will help with cleaning up the oxide that is causing the failure.

Hi RCruz,

Simple trick I use.

Connect amp to music source. Use old headphone or earphone connect one end of it's wire to ground of amp and series other end with 100nF capacitor.

Now follow audio signal path while listening to headphone. This will help to zero in where problem is.

I also own YAMAHA CA 2000.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank you for your input gentlemen.

After dismantling, found that all connections between the input jacks and the control board are ok.

In the control board all goes well to the input switch... now I will follow what happens in that switch.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The control board that contains the input switches and also the riaa phono amp is ok.

The trouble was further inside the preamp (filter) section.

After cleaning all moving parts I finally got some noises coming from the previously muted channel.

Left it for a while and then started injecting a signal on the volume pot section..... the noise went away and music started flowing..... now it seems ok.

Thank you all for the precious input.

Best

Ricardo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.