Yamaha c2 pre transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just acquired this to demo in my system. I love the sound but there is a very slight buzzing coming from the transformer, sounds like a something shorting out but very faint, this seems to be causing one of the reed relays to chirp intermittently. I am electronics retarded, but confident enough to get myself in trouble. Any idea what's going on here, I'd love to keep this preamp.

Oh yeah, all this electronic giggledy piggeldy is causing weird low-level noises to come out of my speakers. High pitched, low volume outer space noises...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Given the age of this unit it is highly likely that it would benefit from replacing all of the electrolytic capacitors. The buzz and relay chirp may be related to poorly filtered DC.

I had one of these back in the very early 1980s that I bought used when it was just a couple of years old.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.