Yamaha 2x18

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am having trouble deciding on a 2x18 cab and would like to know what the differnce is between the Yamaha Sw218v and the Yamaha Cw218v. I am using this as a power speaker or P.A. speaker for live music. I think the Cw218v is folded or is a reflex.... but what does that evan mean?

also what Power Amp would I need to power this to its full potential?

I believe it is a 1,220 watt rms rating.

Any comments would be greatly appriciated!

Thank You!

I used to be both a Yamaha and a JBL dealer.

The Yamaha is a good deal, and the cabinet and drivers are made in the USA.

Guitar Center has some B-stock SW218V for $549 each. I'm recommending them to a friend who ask me to build him some subs. I can build him something better (a TH), but not for that price.

really?????

so any of the amazing custom design subwoofers people are talking about here on diyaudio, with complicated builds and lots of math and research, actually sound/perform no better then an off the shelf $600 unit from guitar center?

I used to be both a Yamaha and a JBL dealer.

The Yamaha is a good deal, and the cabinet and drivers are made in the USA.

Guitar Center has some B-stock SW218V for $549 each. I'm recommending them to a friend who ask me to build him some subs. I can build him something better (a TH), but not for that price.

Yeah $549 for a 2 x 18 cabinet is hard to beat!

"so any of the amazing custom design subwoofers people are talking about here on diyaudio, with complicated builds and lots of math and research, actually sound/perform no better then an off the shelf $600 unit from guitar center?"

I don't work for free, do you?

If you do, and do good work, drop me an e-mail (I can find you a lot of work).

"so any of the amazing custom design subwoofers people are talking about here on diyaudio, with complicated builds and lots of math and research, actually sound/perform no better then an off the shelf $600 unit from guitar center?"

I don't work for free, do you?

If you do, and do good work, drop me an e-mail (I can find you a lot of work).

i have an idea that big companies dont want to spend big money making the best boxes, and we all know

a speaker is only as good as the box its in.

so we might be able to do better then a thin basic ported box.

do you have any expirience with this cab?

I have used both the Single 18 and the dual 18 Yammie cabs. they have an Eminence built 18 that according to Luke AT Eminence "Has an abundant Xmax" thats about all he would tell me as the driver is proprietary. The biggest problem I had with the Yammies is that 18 would beat the crap out of the insides of the cabs. overtime the internal bracing would come loose and the cabinet sides would rattle making it sound like a blown driver. I have had to rebuild/glue/screw all of them!

Not the highest power handling subs, not the cleanest sounding subs, but they are pretty good for cheap subs! The single 18 version i dare say did a bit better job then my old JBL SR4718 cabs.

I would buy the Yammies again!

Zc

"It is for live music application. and i am not sure about the crossover, probly only what it is rated to. "

It's spec'd 30hz~2Khz (-10dB points).

For live music and a 150hz crossover point I would probably use no more than about 1.2KW/4Ω. If doing a lower crossover point and/or DJ work I would probably use no more than 600W/4Ω.

I imagine this uses a driver similar to the $150 Eminence Delta Pro 18A, with 6.7mm x-max. It could have a smaller magnet with only a 5/16" top plate (I've seen Yamaha do this before). I have had to shoot a box of deck screws into old Yamaha cabinets that were road dogs.

Is this the best thing since sliced bread?

No.

Is it a good product for a good price?

I think so.

The pair of drivers from Parts Express will run you $300. A couple of sheets of ply, glue, carpet, handles, t-nuts, speaker-mounting bolts, input cups with dual speakon and 1/4", wiring, spray glue for carpet, feet, misc. screws (handles and feet), grills, paint, etc. Is that worth $250 to you? Do you have the time and the tools to DIY?

I used to DIY to save money. Now it costs more to DIY, but I can end up with a better product.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.