Y'all will love this! / All chipamps on one table!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep, we had quite some fun yesterday !!! :D

The speakers are the Aurea from AudiaZ. http://www.audiaz.de/
I think I've heard them the last time I visited audio-cube, but that's too long ago to remember...
(www.audio-cube.nl)

I also had some time to compare the Nonoz III beta to the Shigaraki DAC. There was still some difference. This time, the Nonoz was a bit louder. The Nonoz sounded somewhat fuller&warmer but also a bit slower and less detailed. I have to do some final tuning, but I think the dac is worthy of a release...

Ciao,

Fedde

Findings:

Wilco from Audio-cube has a nice large apartment where he can place his speakers to great effect: nice deep soundstaging.

#Speakers
I was positively surprised by the mid & high frequence performance of the multi-way speakers we heard. The low frequency performance of them was (as aspected) quite dissapointing (I mean: real bass with low efficiency 6,5" drivers?); on this aspect, the Trenté's were my favourite pick of the day.

This was the first time I heard Konus Audio Essence. I know the drivers very well; I have them in a BD-Design ~Quasar-setting. But this time the drivers' signature was more present, because in my case I use digital equalization to correct this (among other things).
The enclosure clearly does good things in terms of bass. Also, they can handle a whole lot of musical power (..but I knew that already).
I still think my own Jordan JX92s configuration is the preferred one; being played full-range they tend to sound a bit stressed and non-relaxed.

#Chip-amps
In my opinion, the JLTi and the Shigaraki both sounded highly amazing. The AMP-1 also sounded good, but was not as good in creating the full stage with full involvement.

Fedde's DAC and the Shigaraki were, in my opinion, both great and very hard to distinguish. I hope Fedde can find the time to build one for me.

Some opinions from me:

I forgot which JM speakers we listened to, at least it was not the Trenté. Must have been the Evolution 3. They sound quite nice.

The Konus Essence speakers sounded coherent (after changing a small out-of-phase problem ;)). I do not like it's bass very much, it sounds a bit boomy.

The Amp-1 sounded good, but a bit flat to me. The difference between the Jlti and Shigaraki is difficult to describe. I have to listen to these amps for a longer time to decide which amp I prefer. The Jlti sounded a bit more controlled from time to time, but also a bit slower (though definitely not slow!). The Aleph3 we listened to for a short while sounded much slower (BTW: the Aleph was used with the tube buffer of the Jlti). The Shigaraki seemed more detailed, but the focus from the Jlti was better with some music. Both amps were very good and enjoyable (especially seen the price!!!).

One remark: I had a cold yesterday, so I don't know how exact my listening judgements are :rolleyes:

Fedde

fedde said:
...sure Carlos, that's my Nonoz III :)

And, thanks Taco for the flattery! (although you quite likely never heard my dac, unless Taco is only your identity of diyaudio...)

Fedde

I have a TNT-audio Convertus DAC and built a single TDA1543 DAC for my brother using your resistor values and Elso's 5v powersupply. But you're right, I haven't heard your dac :).

Hi all!

Have been there yesterday too, but boy who has made this pic of me?

Whatever, it was the sound that was the main focussing point.
For the quality: I am still not convinced yet. Not that my setup is so "High-End", I just missed a kind of involvement and emotion in the recordings when I listened. I am a completely other kind of listener then Fedde and Nielsio, and I like more something like a seat on the 20th row in the music hall with overview on the stage, in stead of a front row seat with an immense stage and no overview or far too fatigueing. This was the sound I heard yesterday...

Especially the lower octaves were not inspiring and the texture was hard to point out (cello vs. electric cello, different tomtom's etc.)

One point of praise was for the critical midband:

It has been long ago since I heard a piano this wel on dynamic speakers. All the tymbre and detailling was there, but as if it was through a magnifying glass... Voices were extremely well detailed, dynamic and neutral, but still.

Maybee I have to learn to hear better, or maybe it is yust a matter of Taste...

The Nonoz III DAC was in my opinion not far behind the 47 labs, It was a thrill to hear!

Most important part:

I had a wonderfull afternoon with a superb service by Audio Cube!

I am a completely other kind of listener then Fedde and Nielsio, and I like more something like a seat on the 20th row in the music hall with overview on the stage, in stead of a front row seat with an immense stage and no overview or far too fatigueing. This was the sound I heard yesterday...

Especially the lower octaves were not inspiring and the texture was hard to point out (cello vs. electric cello, different tomtom's etc.)

Hi, you should have said that and we could have tried to create your sound, all a matter of equipment matching and setup.
It's not the job of an Amplifier to put you front or 20th row, it's up to the recording engineer. An amplifier should simply leave the original recording untouched and this is a thing that a perfectly executed chip amp does better than most amps (i.m.o. way better than any SS I've heard, regardless of it's price).
There are a lot of tube amps which add harmonics and make the image 'float/spacious', some people experience this as more beautiful, or even more realistic, but i.m.o. all these things screw up a nice recording (atmosphere, texture, tangiblity).

The lower octaves were severly limited by the room (wooden floor floating on a very thick layer of acoustic isolation), this has nothing to with any of the equipment. In a few months I'll move. If you can come up with an amplifier which reproduces the texture of a cello or tomtom better, I'll give you a nice bottle of wine and a sixpack of beer!

Maybee I have to learn to hear better, or maybe it is yust a matter of Taste...
You don't have to learn to hear, the reference is everywhere, listen to all natural sounds around you, f.i. listen while you type the keyboard, does that sound like sound you're hearing via most hifi/highend systems? Not to me, in reality everything sounds far more 'organic', fluid, relaxed, tangible etc. Most systems are immediately recognisable as being artificial (even the so called top high-end), a good system integrates in the enviroment and sounds totally normal at first, that's where the magic can start.
However many people are looking for some kind of 'hifi'-sound, I think for those it would be good if they would try to forget what hifi sounds like and start listening with fresh new ears again, and most important: try to enjoy the music.

greetings, Wilco (audio-cube)

Hi Wilco!

Thank you again for the wonderfull session! I am fully aware of the fact that I should have said that I was missing something. The reason for not intervening was the fact Niels was listening for a chipamp to buy. I was just checking out the possibilities...

Actually, I think that I am allso affected with the artificial, by you called, hifi-sound. But the thing is, I think the sound like I heard at your place wasn't natural eigther. My girlfriend is an alto in the MSO symphonic orchestra, Ive heard a lot of live music. It was less magnified and sounded much more timbred and rich. As long as the recordings were quite audiophile and not to full of sounds, it was really ok, voices were very, very brilliant and alive. Piano's were magnificent. But with more poppy music, sounded more clinical than I rememered. (arggg, my Enslish is not this good, have difficulties writing down my thoughts)

The point is, I do not know what I like/want from my setup. Midband is very important, ease of the ampifier with the givven source and imaging, like I've pointed out in my prevous posting.

I will respond at a later time more specific.

Greetz,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.