Yadis: Yet another discrete IV stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think there is a trade-off here. You really want both high Hfe AND good matching. But what would be better: Hfe of 500 with 5% match, of Hfe of 100 with 1% match? I dunno. Can't you move the B-C connection of Q1 to Q8? Then a matched pair for Q1 and Q2 would be usefull, independent of their Hfe.

Jan Didden

hjelm said:
The hfe is lower for the 847B (are they available in C as well?) versions so i think the mirrors might perform worse due to that reason. For the current mirror isn't high hfe and matching Vbe at the bias Ic the critical factors?
You noticed it was 847BS, S at the end, hfe 200-450, but in real life more than 300.

SSM2210, 2220 (=MAT02/03 but in SO08) from Analog Devices, maybe something? The picture above shows options for BC550C/847BS/860C/MAT02/SSM2210 in DIL08

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
P-A,

Those transistors are duals, but practically speaking as badly matched as two singles, look here:

diyAudio Forums Archive - Current match on BC857BS,BC847BS:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-1003.html
Since you contributed to that thread, I guess you knew they were badly matched? Tsk, tsk... On the other hand, another good opportunity to show off your boards without contributing to the thread. Well done.

Jan Didden

Don't try current feedback!

I've told you guys dozens of times.

I did that.......my dealers hated it, and I almost lost a lot of them.

That is why I came up with the I/V stage that I did.

(You know that, don't you, P-A? Of course, you do.)

Input impedance:

Since it is pretty much a function of Ie/26 type of relationship, I really doubt that you get 0.6 ohms looking into a single small-signal transistor. I don't care what your fancy simulator says. Real world says something else.

And try harder to get below -80 dB? Why.......any measurements I make below that are suspect. Unless I want to make a better source, and a notch filter, and.......well, -80 is good enough.

Especially when you look at how linear the DACs are.

No, I'll stick with what I have, and put my time and efforts to more productive activities.

Jocko

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
hjelm said:
I do not follow you on the B-C connection from q1 to q8???
I think the q1 and q2 would do better as matched even in the current configuration?

Hjelm,

I was thinking, if you can get rid of the C-B connection of Q1, then Q1 & Q2 would both have the same Ic/Ie ratio (assuming a match). But I realise it isn't possible with the current topology. Maybe I get a brainwave tonight...

In the meantime, check out THAT corporation, NPN/PNP etc arrays type THAT300, 320, 340. 5% Hfe match, 500uV Vbe match. Not cheap, about 10 $ each at profusionplc.com. But, imho, worth it.

Jan Didden

lower input resistance

Jocko,
Couldn't you wrap around a single transistor gain stage to the cb transistor and lower the impedance by the gain of this stage ? I will also serve to linearise the iv conversion by reducing output conductance effects......

rlim

Re: Don't try current feedback!

Jocko Homo said:
I've told you guys dozens of times.

I did that.......my dealers hated it, and I almost lost a lot of them.

That is why I came up with the I/V stage that I did.
Jocko
Hi Jocko,
What keeps me surprising in your story is that the current feedback IV intinitially got your blessing as units were shipped to dealers. Did it sound good to your ears?
;)

Not a Jota

janneman said:
Elso,

If I refer to the schematic in post # 1, assume an increase in DAC output current, then the current through the sting of transitors above will decrease, right? The level at node # 12 will tend to rise.

But, the current through the ref string of transistors also decreases because of the mirror action. If Vref is constant, that will decrease the level at node # 13 the same amount as the rise on # 12 would be. The net rise at # 12 is therefore zero (assuming perfect balance and mirror), and a zero voltage rise from a current increase is a zero input impedance. This is obtained by closed loop feedback, not as an inherent circuit attribute.

But that raises another question: why do we need the 100 ohm resistors, since we are talking currents here. They are at best superfluous, at worst limit the dynamic range.
What do you say?

Jan Didden

Hi Jan,
I am sorry but I don't understand a Jota of your post.
:bawling:

Don't bang my head jocko :smash: i know it is a theorethical value and will not be acheived in real life. I cannot understand why the mirrored current so you get the same Ie and Vbe drop is a problem. It should at least lower the input impedace compared to the common base input impedance.
Do not worry the quest for more than 80dB is only theorethical since i think the real life results will be worse. If the sim said -40dB i would start to worry.

I noticed that the circuit i have shown is wrong. The idraw should be connected to 7 and the resistor between ground and 7.

You assumed that I listened to it.......

You assume that if I did, I would have been able to tell a difference.

C'mon......I'm an engineer.....all we do is measure.

Actually, the problems that they kveteched about were realted to dynamics. I have Magnepans, with open-loop amps. Dynamics were not the main design criteria.

I have feedback from several sources about a line of current feedback amps, made by a buddy of mine.

Same criticism. I was approached to talk him out of it.

Wasn't my company, or theirs. He already knew my thoughts, and only his opinion counted anyway. He liked it, he built it, he sold it.

For a while.

Anyway.......me...bang on your head..........?.....not at all. I'm a nice guy.

Snicker.

Just as long as I know that you don't believe distortion measurements on your simulator.

And we know that you don't.........

Jocko

Oftenly lower distortion numbers shown by SPICE are probably caused by too linear characteristics of the used models. There was here one constructive thread on this topic. Once you learn to use the SPICE, you realize what a great tool it is. Of course, it will not tell you how the thing will sound. As the real world measurement won’t tell you that either.

I agree not only -80dB is low enough, -60dB can be good to me. Just wanted to say that it can be made for better specs. If you want them.

Hjelm, I had the problems with files you uploaded but I drew similar circuit and it shows very low input impedance, something like 0.02 Ohm, though it starts to rise after few tens of kHz. I’d be really surprised if this won’t be confirmed in reality.

Pedja

Once the libraries/models were set adequately, there were problems with .control and .destroy commands. They are, depending on the used program, either not recognized or I got the message “missing cathode node for destroy”. Once I remove them and ran the analysis I have higher distortion values than those you mentioned, but I did not inspect the files in fact... cut the story short and drew the circuit.

Not the advice for this case, but generally I think in such situations it is better working option to upload LT SwCAD or MicroCap or some other’s software file that has free/demo version, and whose files include or can include used models.

Pedja

Pedja:
Which file did you run and what distortion did you get?

I tried running the circuit with the ideal models but then it was just silly i got -116dB THD.

I am using Winspice but i have a feeling that the BC850C BC860C models from Siemens, actually it should be Infineon today, seems to be better than most, at least it is hard to get good values with them :D . These models were posted here in a thread somewhere.

Hjelm

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
hjelm said:
Pedja:
Which file did you run and what distortion did you get?

I tried running the circuit with the ideal models but then it was just silly i got -116dB THD.

I am using Winspice but i have a feeling that the BC850C BC860C models from Siemens, actually it should be Infineon today, seems to be better than most, at least it is hard to get good values with them :D . These models were posted here in a thread somewhere.

Hjelm

Please note that distortion measurements - THD - in Spice are *small signal* measurements, assuming linearization of the elements around the operating point. Fourier measurements are large-signal measurements, and as such much more realistic. So, even with perfect models, THD tends to be always too optimistic anyway.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.