Xsim crossover critique

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks mbrennwa,
I probably need to invest in some entry level test equipment like DATS that Erik suggested.

Nothing wrong with DATS, but... Do you have a computer with a stereo soundcard that does sound input and output? If so, all you need to do impedance measurements is a resistor (about 10 Ohms or so) and a few wires. And for acoustic measurements you need a microphone, and a microphone pre-amp if your soundcard doesen't have one. Knowing the frequency response of the microphone doesen't hurt, but you don't need a million-dollar-microphone to get good measurements (I can measure the frequency response for you).

Ah, and you also need some software that will do the measurement. There are many different software packages for different tastes and computer systems, from free to way too expensive. I like my own software.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm in perfect agreement. No one seems to be appreciating that one of the easiest and cheapest mics to use is what you get with any AVR that has the built in eq software. Those are so common these days that if you don't have one, you at least must know somebody that does. Hopefully.

Combine that with something like REW and you're off to the races.

Speaking of cheap, calibrated microphones, has anyone tried the phone/tablet microphone from Dayton? $17 and you can get a calibration curve online. It should work without a mic preamp. It's certainly a lot cheaper than OmniMic or those Gajjilion dollar mics Mbrennwa was talking about. :) It may need some sort of splitter since it's got the three ring phone plug thing going on. Still, a pretty bargain. :)

I have one sitting in a drawer I've hardly used, but now that I think about it there's no reason why it wouldn't work with just about any laptop and REW. Does REW have an Android version? :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.