• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

xrk971 Pocket Class A Headamp GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
no need to be sorry, it's just my lack of soldering skills. to answer your questions, i'm pretty sure about the resistor values, because i compared the codes with the pictures you posted. i was concerned about R7 because your code is 471 and mine is 4700 but i checked and both codes mean 470Ω.

R1 is 100k (code 1003).

mosfet voltage left side = ~7.2V, right side = ~0.27V, so i guess thats the issue. i did do a lousy job with the right mosfet, i'm going to remove it and try again.

voltage across R3: left side = ~6.76V, right side = ~8,3V

thanks for your help!

The 1% codes are 3 significant digits followed by exponent on 4th. Looks like you have right values and either your JFET or MOSFET is bad.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Finished mine this morning, listening to it on the bench now.

R7A - 7.05v / 117.5R = .06, so ~60mA
R7B - 7.09v / 117.5R = .063, so also ~60mA

I haven't plugged in my DT770 PRO 250's yet, but I'm planning to listen on them later this evening.

Setup is MacBook Pro Retina, Tidal -> optical out -> SMSL SD-793ii DAC -> X's HA

I think you meant 60.3mA on B so within 0.3mA or 0.5%.

Sounds awesome with the DT-770 250s!

Attachments

• IMG_3586.jpg
    IMG_3586.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 251
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice! You have even the same exact volume knob I use ! :)
Find a track with lots of bass and have a listen. The DT770's will shake your head but it will still sound clean.

Infected Mushroom is good for that. :)
Daft Punk's Random Access Mem is good too.

For vocals try Melody Gardot or Norah Jones.

Some Dire Straits is great too.

Have fun :)

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
no need to be sorry, it's just my lack of soldering skills. to answer your questions, i'm pretty sure about the resistor values, because i compared the codes with the pictures you posted. i was concerned about R7 because your code is 471 and mine is 4700 but i checked and both codes mean 470Ω.

R1 is 100k (code 1003).

mosfet voltage left side = ~7.2V, right side = ~0.27V, so i guess thats the issue. i did do a lousy job with the right mosfet, i'm going to remove it and try again.

voltage across R3: left side = ~6.76V, right side = ~8,3V

thanks for your help!

Any more luck fixing this Bogde?

Nice! You have even the same exact volume knob I use ! :)
Find a track with lots of bass and have a listen. The DT770's will shake your head but it will still sound clean.

Infected Mushroom is good for that. :)
Daft Punk's Random Access Mem is good too.

For vocals try Melody Gardot or Norah Jones.

Some Dire Straits is great too.

Have fun :)

Aphex Twin's 'Syro' album is awesome, especially "syro u473t8+e". I listened to some Lorde as well, great detail.

Definitely makes me a bit more motivated to buy some new cans!

PCgab, how much battery life are you getting? 60mA is on hot side. You could change R4 to smaller value say 27R (from 33R) and aim for 50mA and that will reduce heat and extend life. Will still sound pretty good.

I haven't tested battery life yet. I'll test that Monday.

I got a few of these tins to try as well:

http://a.co/cIIb1tR

They're the same size as the Altoids tin. I might pop mine into one of them at some point.

I have sound! My Sennheiser 598s are singing. First impression listening to "Send it On" from Voodoo by D'Angelo: the bass is awesome!
I can't wait to have a long listening session to get acquainted with the sound.

attachment.php

I've set up a quick and dirty way to compare the sound of different output caps using gator clips attached to wires temporarily soldered to the board...against X's cautions that it would sound crappy...:eek: So far I am just listening with 1000uF OSCONs, with no bypass yet, and I'm already pleased!

I have the original 390uF OSCONs plus some 470uF Nichicon AKs I will be comparing with the caps I have clipped in there now.

This is my first amp build and my first SMT soldering job...I took my time and it works perfectly. Big thanks to X and BDHM! Now I'm going to go revel a bit. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    950.1 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    743.6 KB · Views: 245
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
StellerElephant:
Congratulations man, you did a fine job. It's wonderful to have first sound the first time!
:cheers:

Your cap comparo looks interesting, you could probably make an entire thread about it:)
I suspect you will not hear an audible difference with or without the Wima's. I do think that if you have lower impedance cans, the 1000uF OSCON will be audibly deeper bass.

Happy listening - another happy builder with great sound.

I have sound! My Sennheiser 598s are singing. First impression listening to "Send it On" from Voodoo by D'Angelo: the bass is awesome!
I can't wait to have a long listening session to get acquainted with the sound.

attachment.php

I've set up a quick and dirty way to compare the sound of different output caps using gator clips attached to wires temporarily soldered to the board...against X's cautions that it would sound crappy...:eek: So far I am just listening with 1000uF OSCONs, with no bypass yet, and I'm already pleased!

I have the original 390uF OSCONs plus some 470uF Nichicon AKs I will be comparing with the caps I have clipped in there now.

This is my first amp build and my first SMT soldering job...I took my time and it works perfectly. Big thanks to X and BDHM! Now I'm going to go revel a bit. :D

Hi Stellar - the shiny player - whats that?

Regards