• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

xrk971 Desktop Class A (DCA) Headphone Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Those crimping tools make perfect pro crimps on those. Best $22, I have spent.

A tip: use a small wire like axial resistor lead inserted into the connector to allow you to place it in the crimp jaw, squeeze down partially, pull out resistor “handle” and insert stripped wire. Do not have more than 2mm of wire or it will interfere with jack insert action.

Buying PCB special (BF862 onboard)

Hi to all,

XRK many thanks for this project. Think I'm going to take advantage of the PCB special. Already have most of the components. Can get the FETs from RS Components.

Are there possibly any other DIYers in South Africa who would like a board or two? It would make sense to place a single order and save a bit on shipping costs.:cool:

If anyone is interested PM me and we can take it from there.

Kevin (Pretoria)

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just sent out two DCA’s and almost forgot to include the free BF862’s (these are from original Mouser stock on same reel and adjacent to each other so good chance of matching pretty well). I still marvel st the PCB - heavyweight and coated with gold and perforated with a thousand vias plated through with gold. Beautiful board.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Btw, new amp I am working on - sounds fantastic. Very powerful and dynamic, low distortion design with all DC coupling.

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD

684975d1528123994-simple-performing-headphone-amp-c96ec7c8-2f08-47ac-9ea1-90d82ccd56d6-jpeg

@xrk India.. :/ specifically.. Bangalore. Not uncommon.. Actually its my fault.. I shouldve mentioned that USPS is a no go.. It's India posts that's delaying it so much. FedEx or DHL would've been a lot faster

Edit: I DID try to.. But you had sent it by then : ))) ah well.. Good things happen to those who wait?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
@xrk India.. :/ specifically.. Bangalore. Not uncommon.. Actually its my fault.. I shouldve mentioned that USPS is a no go.. It's India posts that's delaying it so much. FedEx or DHL would've been a lot faster

Edit: I DID try to.. But you had sent it by then : ))) ah well.. Good things happen to those who wait?

Send me a message on Etsy shop and let me check on shipping for this item. If more than 40days for international shipments, I will send you replacement at no charge.

Sorry about that but it’s easy to fix. Just parallel about a 5k1 or even 4k7 with your 1k1 to drop the value combined value towards 910ohms. It doesn’t t have to be exact as variations in your JFETs vs mine may require adjustment. To find if it works, measure output Source pin voltage at MOSFET. Adjust until voltage is about 1/2Vcc.

I've just measured mine. I don't have matched transistors so voltage is 8.88V one side and 9.2V on the other.

I adjust each side independently to 0.5 VCC?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I've just measured mine. I don't have matched transistors so voltage is 8.88V one side and 9.2V on the other.

I adjust each side independently to 0.5 VCC?

Yes, if Vcc is 20v then aim for 9.5v to 10v by adjustment of 1k1 resistor to a lower value. You could even put a pot there temporarily and then measure value and replace with fixed. This is only important if you plan on playing loud near clipping to get a balanced top vs bottom clip point. If you never play near 500mW, just leave it.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This case from Aliexpress is very good - all holes pre-cut. $36 for a CNC case, shipping included.

Aliexpress.com : Buy PH I Headphone Amplifier All aluminum Chassis Preamplifier Enclosure Mini Case DIY Box from Reliable box all suppliers on Breeze Audio Store

The pot shaft diameter is larger than usual, maybe it wants a full size blue velvet "box" type pot.

I would highly recommend underhanging the MOSFETs and bolting to the bottom panel. As there is no air ventilation, this would be best to keep things cool inside.

Last edited: