• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

XRK 10F/RS225 FAST TL Flatpack GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
I have been getting a lot of inquiries about a possible Flatpack for the popular 10F/RS225 FAST TL speaker. There have been probably 50+ successful DIY builds of this speaker. Everyone is a very happy with how they sound. I have developed plans for a CNC cut flatpack of this speaker in 18mm birch faced poplar plywood (Trueply brand). The design will include a lot of 6mm alignment dowels for easy assembly with glue and clamps. The dowels prevent the boards from squirming under pressure and ensure a straight and well aligned speaker box with true 90deg corners. More info on this speaker can be found in this thread. The crossover PCB can be purchased here if you don’t want to build your own P2P XO.

Here is what the plans look like:
IMG_2910.jpeg

Very similar to the released plans that folks have been building to and uses a trick first seen on member @Plott ’s build for the baffle (stepped edge).

The pricing will be $575 a pair in birch faced plywood. And $675 a pair for walnut faced plywood. Examples of the plywood can be seen in the XSD Flatpack GB thread. It’s nice stuff used for furniture. User will need to provide drivers, foam padding, stuffing, binding posts, and sports cone rear chamber for the mid tweeter. We will provide the 50+ 6mm x 30mm wooden dowels per speaker.

Shipping in CONUS via UPS will be typically $150. There is a service for shipping to EU for about $250 from the port located in NY/NJ area to most places in EU. So about $400 total to ship to EU. You will need to check with the provider.

Here is a photo of Plott’s build which I think will look very similar to this GB flatpack.
1713121286670.jpeg

In case you are not familiar with this speaker, it is a transient perfect design with superb imaging and time alignment for crisp percussion and the TL reaches deep to 28Hz so no need for a subwoofer. The sound is balanced, neutral and great for any genre and is never fatiguing. It has been my main speaker for the last 5 years. And I have seen and heard a lot of speakers.

Schematic of XO:
1713121919861.png

Here are some in room measurements (2vrms at 0.5m) there are some room modes that cause a dip near 120Hz but that’s not intrinsic to the speaker. You can see the reach of the TL bass and the smoothness of the reponse and the overall low distortion.
1713122127160.png

Here is response of the woofer TL output at exit plane of the vent to eliminate room modes. You can see the output is smooth and flat and reaches down to 30Hz easily.
1713122281118.png

Here are some measured impedance sweeps showing it is an easy 8ohm load and that the TL is tuned to circa 28Hz to 32 Hz depending on your driver TS parameters and stuffing placement etc.

1713122677645.png

If you are interested please add your name to the interest list below. The flatpack allows those of us without the woodworking shop or skills (like myself) to have a great speaker like this.

Name / Birch or Walnut/ Country

We will need at least 5 pairs to make the GB viable.

Thanks.
X

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users