Xover with software : async DSP or Sync PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure I want to go with Linux for my hobby, is there a remote control here ?... Don't want a DNS or web server in my mind, just looking for the best TCO without drivers problems... and save time with Linux command line.

For the moment I have squeezebox duett and appreciate the simplicity.

PC or MINIDSP to go further for active & EQ is the goal? Well, the answer has two sides for me : money and DAC quality (my hope are not 100 % with XO and DSP, for me DAC chip, Output stages are important and a side of final pleasure).

If the treatment is maid in the pc before any out of the signal and sent after to a soundcard or a dac, it's ok for me !

For just 100 euros more than the MiniShark, we have a little pc tablett with Windows 8 32 bits & 32 Go SSD and few electrical consumption with no fan: Tablette ICONIA W510 : 350 euros. Elle est pas belle la vie ?

Use an USB to async/I2S... simple. Choose the DAC you want after, your expensive, your Linuxdeveloper/JP one, a Curryman... add salt, pepper then eat !

Or less simple for me: an external USB soundcard to Spidf in with the squeezebox (remote control library & volume) then outs for DACs et voilà ! You are free to use all the softs you want, change to W8 64 bits if processor can do it ! you have a super mega minisharc, a wifi to attack DLNA TV and music library, can command the tablett from your desktop with remote desktop protocole.

With the keeping of squeezebox, the cost of the aditional external souncard is a problem. But if I find an easy remote software with android to control the master libray software, I don't need Squeezebox anymore !

Has Jriver plug in for remote smartphone ? I can't believe than all these brilliant sofywares has no plug in for that ?! Squeezebox has many for android or PommePhone !

Clients - Music Player Daemon Community Wiki

I understand more now and re read the Richard Taylor review... well, it's a tricky task to play with many soft : mpd, dsp...then sending to an external device : DAC or souncard. Don't understand if we need an external soundcard or just the need to pipe the data to a socket like USB then hardware like USB I2S then I2S/multiDAC ?

Have to read more thread here about PC XO... have to understand some concept with iinformatic and sound : dither, convolution,...

Jriwer seems to have great qualities...with gizmo remotes with android...

Have climb an another understanding step...thank you. Have to chalenge the acer iconia to a pc linux client device à la Richard Stuff (used as server by him) in term of TCO... the iconia have a SSD...

Yes, want save money myself, The all in one Jriver is attractiv for something 50 dollars.

want easy graphical set up. REW or RePhase could be my choice but don't know how the piping process with multi softs affect the sound results : Latency ? Is it not async and buffered before sended to the dacs...

i'm an eternal newbie, but totaly newbie beginner with the concept of computer XO & DSP treatment. I appreciated the AS vs DSP coments of Richard.

about the cost, it's a benchmark in the Total Cost approach. If the soft cost 1 but win 2 in the sound rendering in relation to free softwares, it's a go. If It cost 2 and give a same 1 in relation to a free software, then it's a no-go !

My understanding of JRiver for the moment is that it's a all in one : music library and XO,EQ management. But if a MPD + a REW or rePhase give the same result, il will go to the free ones ifs a smartphone client exists for it.

Little Dolphins : alternatives to MiniSharc for XO & DRC

RePhase seems to work only with Windows.

With Windows 8.1, you have a true windows pc tablett (at less expensive cost than a Surface Pro whic have Windows pro too)

Iconia W3-810 32 Go cot small money :275 euros and have a 50 euros money back here in Europe until 31 décembre... petit papa Noël...

Equal the cost of Minisharc but have mini HDMI, Mini USB, WIFI N and Blue tooth 4, 2 GO Ram...and a windowscreen ! Can be controlled with IP protocol, Windows RDP protocol, Navigator with adhoc software like LogMeIn, or by Smartphone... and for the library with your squeeze box, or clients from others servers softs when exist...

Problem with heat but the 8.1 upgrade from W8 improve a little this problem.

By the Way : The Iconia W4 arrives with 64 Go SSD & quadricore for the same price and the Toshiba enCore with same specs is already avaliable at 300 dollars/euros.

Here at 180 euros but no SSD : minipci port avaliable: Intel NUC DCCP847DYE (BOXDCCP847DYE) : achat / vente Barebone PC sur ldlc.com

A more expensive exist with HDMI and USB 3

To be continued...

Hello everybody, just found this thread ! Hello jplesset, we are neighbors ! I'm in Beaverton !
And trying to build something similar to your system; a Ubuntu 13.04 server with MPD, and add BruteFIR and do digital crossover. Not there yet, I'm waiting for the USBStreamer to arrive.

Cheers, Alex

Thank you very much for the offer; what do you think if we take this discussion private ?
I feel uncomfortable to flaunt my ignorance in public.
My address is first letter of my first name followed by last name (no dashes or dots) at google electronic mail.
Thank you, Alex Mitaru

Look at the Xonar Essense ST threads in the forum to see just what can be done with PC audio.

Sent from my iPhone...

I will be honest with you, if you want an audiophile quality skip Xonar, M-audio and other consumer cards, I had Xonar STX and just could not listen to it on my Genelec monitors. Just unacceptable.
Buy LynxTwo card, -C has 6 outputs or an external DAC and you will be blow away by the difference on any decent speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.