XMOS DSD 384 kHz / 32bit USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am xxxx xxxx and I do not have sufficient technical knowledge, if any.

I think I am an audiophile and I am certainly passionate about DIY.

I suppose you are all fine with that.

When I posted the links from the other forum my intention was to see if anyone would comment just these two oscillators from the technical point of view.

Specifically, I could not find an info about the phase noise values at lower frequencies (1Hz, 0.1Hz) for these oscillators since Jocko Homo has spent a lot of time in explaining the importance of this issue.

Regarding the JL Audio products I am noticing that both older and a newer versions of I2SoverUSB use "LP5900 ultra low noise linear power regulator".

At the same time Hummingbird Verita Dual Mono AK 4495S and Oscillator board use ADM7150 LDO for oscillators.

I am curious to learn the Joro's rationale of using different regulators in these devices.

Different parts, different implementation -> different personal perception?

Absolutely. But there is a pretty good way to make me change my view - evidence.

Making you change your view, especially in the way you would accept it, is not a priority for me and for all of us, i think.
I can't understand why making other users change their view at any cost should be a priority for you, too - the only reason i could think of would confirm Godwin's law again, sorry...
So i hope it's not a priority for you, otherwise i think that this would be a problem for this thread and for most of its followers.

Last edited:
So i hope it's not a priority for you, otherwise i think that this would be a problem for this thread and for most of its followers.

And of course it isn't. My interest is in learning more evidence-based facts about audio. I have learned (in my 40 years in audio) that that is the only way to really improve my audio systems - through better understanding, rather than belief and speculation.

The unfortunate fact is that audio (the reproduction of recorded sound) is technology. Technology is applied science.
Technology is an instrument for man. Not the other. The application of elements of science must undergo adaptation to the human need. The need of man is the reason for existing technology. Therefore we try to bring the man to the center and not the tools.
No technological instrument, if not in an indirect way, can probe the interpretation that man is formed of reality and its meaning. Without this priority, technology and science have no weight.
Knowing we need to make sense.

Not sure what you mean - DSD is digital.
Is DSD encoded as the PCM? what is not clear?

Julf, I'm a medicine doctor, 63 yrs old, with a 40 yrs. career in blood cancer care. Do you think I' could have some knowledge about human physiology? Do you think I've taken part to a lot of clinical experimental study? Do you think really I can insult myself?

The only way to improve a music system is to try, because every human being is different. So the secret is " Nosce te ipsum" joint to an healty pragmatic approach, not only theoretical. Like the medicin, it's exactly the same

I'm medicine doctor too..
If I use subjective instead facts, prison would not be far away..
Modern oncology is full in protocols, so you don't have 1% of space for personal..

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Absolutely! But after formulating a theory, the next step is to postulate an experiment that can validate or invalidate the theory. And in fact, before formulating a theory, one should first validate the observations.

If you hear a difference, there are multiple explanations and theories. At the most basic level, there might be a real, physical difference, but it might also be that the perceived difference is caused by confirmation bias. Thus the first thing to do is to isolate the effect of bias. Fortunately there is a relatively easy way to do that, by using a double-blind listening test.

:cop: quote from Dec 2015. Where have we got since then? Sometimes you just have to accept you are flogging a dead horse!

BTW don't think this is specifically directed at Julf. It goes equally for anyone keeping the debate alive for so long.

:cop: quote from Dec 2015. Where have we got since then? Sometimes you just have to accept you are flogging a dead horse!

I guess so. Seems science is less and less accepted these days, being replaced by "my opinion is just as valid as yours".

“These are dangerous times. Never have so many people had access to so much knowledge, and yet been so resistant to learning anything.” - Tom Nichols, The Death of Expertise

So what relevant value did your posting add to this thread?

At least I don't need to stoop to name calling and personal attacks.

Nothing personal, really. It's not you, is this discussion that is stupid and useless. Let's stop it once and for all... and please accept each others' experiences without the need to remark they're "so resistant to learning" from you...

Nothing personal, really. It's not you, is this discussion that is stupid and useless. Let's stop it once and for all... and please accept each others' experiences without the need to remark they're "so resistant to learning" from you...

Happy to accept the experiences of others - uncritically accepting their explanations for the experiences is another matter. By the way, I never implied people would have to learn from me, but learn in general, by looking for facts and evidence instead of just confirmation of their beliefs.

Happy to accept the experiences of others - uncritically accepting their explanations for the experiences is another matter. By the way, I never implied people would have to learn from me, but learn in general, by looking for facts and evidence instead of just confirmation of their beliefs.

I.e.: not learning from you, but from what you think it's correct. Not so different...
Anyway, what i wanted to say is: you have your opinion, it may be the most correct in the world, but just let others have their own just like they let you have your own.

You said changing other's point of view is not a priority for you, i'm happy about that, so please show us that it's true...

I.e.: not learning from you, but from what you think it's correct. Not so different...

Yes, if your perspective is that "evidence-based" is just another opinion.

Anyway, what i wanted to say is: you have your opinion, it may be the most correct in the world, but just let others have their own just like they let you have your own.

No, You're Not Entitled To Your Opinion | IFLScience

You said changing other's point of view is not a priority for you, i'm happy about that, so please show us that it's true...

More than happy to call it a day on this discussion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.