XMOS DSD 384 kHz / 32bit USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't see why not, the only thing is that you will require a i2c controller to switch between PCM and DSD.

Thank you for the reply (i'm a bit late...).
But how could i switch DSD mode on an Arduino controller?
Could i use the DSD data flag pin (#8)? I can't understand if this pin is used to switch DSD mode on the XMOS board (3.3V input from outside towards the board) or to switch DSD mode on another board (3.3V input from the XMOS board towards outside)...
I mean, how can i make the controller aware the board is receiving (and sending) a DSD stream?
For example, on Amanero board there is a DSD-aware pin outputting 0/1 states...
There's something like this on this board?

Hi,

Thank you for the reply (i'm a bit late...).
But how could i switch DSD mode on an Arduino controller?
Could i use the DSD data flag pin (#8)? I can't understand if this pin is used to switch DSD mode on the XMOS board (3.3V input from outside towards the board) or to switch DSD mode on another board (3.3V input from the XMOS board towards outside)...

This pin - DSD data flag is an output from XMOS board and it's to indicate to the DAC, that XMOS starts to transmit DSD data. For example - all Asahi Kasei DACs are configured through SPI or I2C protocols for DSD mode. The arduino needs this flag in order to configure the DAC to DSD mode. When DSD flag is in high state (3.3V) the data is DSD, if the DSD flag is in low state (0V) then the data is PCM.

Regards,
Joro

Hi,

This pin - DSD data flag is an output from XMOS board and it's to indicate to the DAC, that XMOS starts to transmit DSD data. For example - all Asahi Kasei DACs are configured through SPI or I2C protocols for DSD mode. The arduino needs this flag in order to configure the DAC to DSD mode. When DSD flag is in high state (3.3V) the data is DSD, if the DSD flag is in low state (0V) then the data is PCM.

Regards,
Joro

Thank you, that's exactly what i needed to know! ;)

Yes - Joro, Lyuben and I have been very busy (well, Joro & Lyuben - with help from me where possible) an a dual mono AKM4495S board. The first articles sound absolutely fantastic - Joro & Lyuben should be very proud. I jumped the gun a little with my leak about it, as there's still work to do (tuning, production matters, etc.).

I'll leave it up to Joro or Lyuben to share more specifics now, or chime in with the green light to share.

I'm afraid that you have chosen the wrong path..
From simple, high-quality and affordable products jump to the opposite..
So, AK4490 is delayed.. AK4495 you clumsy announced for January..
You also promised one price and it will be another, higher..

Vulejov,

I'm not in agreement with you. If you want something inexpensive you can always get the AK4490 from DIYINHK, personally I believe they're trying to take a jump in the high end audio market with a really affordable product and I can only applaud their efforts. Put yourself in their shoes for a minute, wouldn't you want to be the one with the skills to accomplish this, I know I would.

I own a BII with NTD1 I/V with Arduino controller, a commercial Simaudio Moon Neo 380D DSD and they both sound really good BUT I'm always looking for better which is not an easy find. Take for example the Weilang dual AK4399 that sells for ~140$... Well you get what you pay for... There must be 500 mods that people made to try and make it better since the original layout is not great (sucks!), software implementation is awful, components are for many parts fake and not optimized (flavor of the day... oh let's see what we have in stock this week to put on it). I own one that I built from scratch using only what I wanted for parts, optimized the output filter to AK's specs for dual AK4399 and it still sounds like there's a timing issue. This is the results of different trace lenghts that have not been well calculated and many other optimization issues. My single AK4396 from JLSounds sounds MUCH better, yes with only one DAC chip!

If the 600$ price tag brings us a quality fully baked product then so it must be.

All the best! :cheers:
Do

You did not understand me..

I think that future product with the AK4495 worth every penny.. but do not fit into previously philosophy.. that is impact of new partner I think..

Also insisting on it led to delay for AK4490, which was planned for Christmas, and it should look more like older one..

It certainly is true that my involvement had an influence on their efforts. I'd like to think positively, as my relationship with AKM here in the states has allowed access to the 4495S - a chip not yet available to them.

Still - their philosophy for this effort has always been to design & build a DAC for the best possible performance; we believe the use of the 4495S has furthered that goal. I've been able to sit with the engineers who designed the 4490-4495S, and their excitement about the 4495S was hard for them to contain.

Every such project goes through its own path - and this effort is no different. Many decisions are made, for many reasons. Engineers such as Joro & Lyuben are open to criticism and they tend to share more openly about what they hope to do and when. When they collaborate with another such as I who loves the journey and shares it with friends - well, it would be very sad for me if I caused any such criticism to fall on them.

It's been a lot of work, but very enjoyable for me to work with such fine engineers such as Joro & Lyuben. I'm very proud and pleased with the results, and believe those who are interested in this project will be too.

I'll say this in too: Similar to Do, I have a 9018 DAC with NTD1, Amanero with Acko Isolator/reclocker with high end oscillators. All critical digital circuits are discreetly powered by RefleKtor-D's, PH shunts, etc. Since bringing this DAC up on my bench, my Sabre DAC isn't getting much play.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.