62. & 63. Claudius J. x2
64 boggy62
65 sck2288
66 rjbaldwin
67. ravid
68. igor
69. neugruen

Hey JLOP,

Noticed you over on the mpdpup thread, did you have no luck there? What board are you running Linux on? I have an Alix 2D2, using the unetbootin and putty I had little issue getting it running, the only real issue was it was muted in alsa, I don't know enough to offer commands required to check if muted or not, Idolse has covered it well in the pup thread.
Stick with it, it will be sorted and Linux for audio is worth it.

Cheers,

Drew.

Hi JLOP
I have a atom based platform with mpdpup and waveio. Works very well, the thread PET-240 mentions helps alot. I began with Slacko, but it's easier to setup alsa with mpdpup IMHO. In graphic interface you can call alsamixer menu and with F6 just select luckit, MM or 00 are there, just change it. Remember you must have a music directory for mpd to work, if the start is from internal HD you must create it yourself. Try typing mpc or mpd on CLI to see if mpd started. The thread has all the explanations. The tweaks of timings and nrpacks make a diference.
Regards
Luis

1. hirez69
2. analog_sa
3. m.massimo
4. ozlegend
5. luisbock
6. vitalica
7. palmito
8. gabanyayaya
9. danny_66
10. shoom
11.12. kp93300 X 2
13. lindamar
14. merlin el mago
15. Reo
16. arkadiush1
17. jmltinc
18. zibra
19. tagheuer
20. hochopeper
21. hacker
22. Bemused
23. vanwykca
24. sandor
25. jrling
26. bismuth
27. necplusultra
28. flocchini
29. ichiban
30. edbk
31. Nikon1975
32. pawlus
33. dubai2000
34. henri47
35. presapian
36. Corpius
37. Ryssen
38. carsten.witt
39. Sidiropa
40. Ryelands
41. krautxy
42. 43. 44. 45. Mats x 4
46. ecchecequa
47. 48. lm1no2 x 2
49. Magsy
50. Jogi
51. CKL
52. needsp
53. number9
54. steve jones
55. nuriasanta
56. miksi
57. audiodesign
58. hordmop
59. cjunkk
60. Thermio
61. dex-rex
62. & 63. Claudius J. x2
64 boggy62
65 sck2288
66 rjbaldwin
67. ravid
68. igor
69. neugruen
70. Miclaud

Hey JLOP,

Quick thought from a past post in the mpdpup thread, have you allowed the OS to boot and then plugged in the WaveIO? Just having some thoughts back to another issue that needed to plug in after boot, perhaps boot and wait a couple mins before plugging in?
May have tried this already, just a thought!

Cheers,

Drew.

WaveIO is ON (;-)

Dear all who gave me a hand to have my config working

I am currently listening Ahmad Jamal's "It's Magic". Great music, Great board:D

I started again a debug procedure to eliminate 1/ board problems and 2/ pc problem, I had feared in the end that the USB would not feed enough mA in the board, and at the end probably with eyes better opened than in the night and with what I caught from there and there I have my first Linux system on, my first file server and my Wave IO board on :note::note::note:. Quite a relief !

Thanks again for your kind assistance

Jean-Louis

Hi there! I am really new into the whole USB-DAC and I2C story.

I also want to buy A WaveIO USB DAC. I mainly want to use it with Linux (ARM Platform , Debian 7) . Eventually also on my Laptop (Win7/Linux).
On the homepage of WaveIO was mentioned that there are proprietary drivers needed for this USB_to_I2C Board! SO is the WaveIO also driven by proprietary drivers on Linux or are there used "normal" Kernel implemented drivers?
I really want to be sure that this WaveIO USB_to_I2C Board will work with Debian 7 (ARM Architecture Computer). My current USB DAC is the Terratec Aureon DUAL USB and it is working flawelessly out of the box.

I read some pages of this thread and there was mentioned that someone that there will be some iprovements made on the board.
Is the current WaveIO on the Purchase-Website the improved version? Or did I got something wrong?
So I am asking beause if there will be a improoved Rev2 then I will wait!

ANd I also wanted to ask about this daughter board. I tried to get all the informations about this daughter board but I still didnt got it.
What does this board connected to the WaveIO?

The last question:
So if I want to use this USB_to_I2C Board so I can output AUDIO to my speakers I still need some kind of DAC (with Chinch output) which has I2C input so I can connect the WaveIO over I2C to the DAC ?
Is there any recommendation for such a DAC to be used with WveIO

Thank you very much in advance!

Greetings from good (c)old germany ! :)

This card works just fine with any of the later Linux distros, then the drivers for Xmos are included in the Kernel. Is just plug and play then.
The card has SPDIF and I2S output, but the I2S connection is considered to be better in general, not only here.
And it is just the interface, you need a dac as well.
The ES9023 Subbu dac for example has SPDIF chip on board, but you can omit the receiver chip and use the I2S connection, because the Dac chip supports this connection. So both is possible, and with most other dacs there is a SPDIF connection possible. But this ES9023 chip seems to be a very good performer, and through the group buy it comes fairly cheap. But you have to solder some SMD parts.
I don't know what the daughterboard does, but I signed for one anyway:p; The main board works very very good without it.

Ah, to put things into perspective: These two together, with a good power supply, should be able to compete with commercial offers in the + 2k$ range in my opinion...

Last edited:
Is there any recommendation for such a DAC to be used with WveIO

Hi, I'm currently using a TP Opus DAC (with Wolfson 8740) with WaveIO through not isolated I2S. I know, it's not the state of the art at this time, but at 75$ new (but you can find a used one at about 40$ or less), it has an amazing quality/price ratio, in my opinion, provided digital and analog good power supplies. I think it's not actually the weakest link in my chain (it was the usb converter, but thanks to Lucian it's not anymore :)) . If you're in the market to spend more, you can buy a Buffalo, I tried one (v1) of a friend of mine, it's better, overall.

hi there.

thanks for the information and the kind help.

the only question I am poking with its if I should buy this rev1 board or if I should wait for the improoved rev2 board.

After reading a lot I think I will buy the e9023 sabbu dac and connect it over I2s to the waveio.

Then I only need some good little amp. I already have my SymAsym but sometimes I think I would want to use it without the SymAsym..

thank you in advance....

greetings from Germany .

ron

I think this

Hi
Take a look at the upcoming buffalo III SE. It has U.FL inputs to I2S and easyer to configure. I have the buffalo III and and it works flawless with waveio (a pain to solder U.FL receptacles in sidecar). I prefer non isolating I2S outs. The whole system with linux bit perfect player beats Ayon Audio CD-1 IMHO.
Regards

Last edited:
It depends on if you need it now or not. Actual revision is very good, I think you can't buy anything comparable in terms of quality for about 100€ in the commercial area.

hi there. Tanks For your answer. I can wait a little bit. Is there a releasedate available for the rev2 board?
will it be much more expensive then the current revision?

Hi
Take a look at the upcoming buffalo III SE. It has U.FL inputs to I2S and easyer to configure. I have the buffalo III and and it works flawless with waveio (a pain to solder U.FL receptacles in sidecar). I prefer non isolating I2S outs. The whole system with linux bit perfect player beats Ayon Audio CD-3 IMHO.
Regards

thanks for the info about your experience.. I am listening now through a linux debian7 embedded board through mpd (configured to play bit-perfect) with a cheap terratec usb dac and it is playing with much better sound quality and detail then my onboard sound of my laptop..
I think I will get way much more improvements regarding soundquality with combining either:

waveIO rev2 with ES9023 Subbu dac (connected over I2s)

or

waveIO rev2 with Buffalo III SE dac (connected over I2s)

Which of these solutions would you prefer?
And is there any Idea to make the waveIO 6channel compatible? eventually with an extension board? This would be awesome...

Thank you all for clearing up and answering my questions.I am much more enlightened regarding the whole usb to I2s and dac story.. Great community.

:)

Greetings from Germany
Ron